You are kidding yourselves....

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

You are kidding yourselves....

Post by mikemurphy »

I was watching FSN(?) about a week ago and the Ultimate Fighting series that they promote there. It's not the same as the Gracie Family Ultimate Fighting pay-per-view stuff, seems like the rules are a little more practical. Anyway, this was the first that I had seen of this series and was quite impressed with some of the more traditional grapplers. For example, I watched a Barcelona gold medalist (Yoshida), who obviously knew nothing of stand up fighting lay a beautiful Juji-gatame on this guy. Extremely impressive how he did it.

Anyway, the point is that if you think that your traditional stand up karate is all you need, check out some of this fighting.

Cross-train baby!!!

mike
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Mike,
Yoshida has been training in some stand up as I saw him get knocked out last year.
Definately not a guy you want to play with on the ground.
Recently I saw a UFC tape with a US judo olympic alternate doing beautiful hip throws on his opponent.

Fun stuff to watch.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Josann

Post by Josann »

I agree 100% As far as stand up goes you really can't beat the skills taught in uechi. the only thing missing in uechi is the "one shot kill" that many believe they have is probably not there. Combinations of punches along with a good mobile sanchin stance can compensate for that. I do think that punching air and snapping a gi does nottransloate to real power.

As far as dealing with a single opponent goes, some ju jitsu or wrestling skill is a must. I think too many on these forums believe that there is something mystical about uechi, that the style they study is going to save them in a jam. Yeah, I agree they are kidding themselves. Workout with a grappler or ju jitsu guy sometime and see if you can keep from going to the ground. On the ground it is a whole nother world.

Josann
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I`m a dabbler at the ground game

And not an expert by any means ... but I couldnt agree more

from my perspective even basic knowledge will take you a long way .

The amount of benifit an advanced standup fighter can get from even 6 months in a good grappling school would blow there minds .

I dont understand how folks can dedicate maybe 10-20 years on standup , and not do maybe 6-12 months crosstraining .
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

If you do not learn the ground you are in for a huge surprise when you get there!

A huge painful surprise.
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

What's cool about judo and other grappling arts is that as kohai you train the same stuff as sempai 8)
robb buckland

Jujitsu and Uechi

Post by robb buckland »

Some time ago (in a galaxy far, far,away) :lol: midway in my jujitsu crosstraining quest......I remember Mike Murphy had some "down bunkai"applications videos ,....these tapes were benifitial in helping a non-jujitsuan "get it" 8O ....I made them required viewing for the students :D .....

"....... Anyway, the point is that if you think that your traditional stand up karate is all you need, check out some of this fighting.

Cross-train baby!!! Mike Murphy

LISTEN he knows ....!!!!! :!: :!: Robb
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”