Judo kata

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Stryke

Judo kata

Post by Stryke »

Does anyone know of any links that get into the original judo kata ?

Clips would be to much to hope for :?

are they still performed/practiced ?
Norm Abrahamson

Post by Norm Abrahamson »

Check out the Judo Information Site, it's pretty good.

The link to a judo kata on the page is:

http://www.judoinfo.com/techjudo.htm

Sincerely,

Norm Abrahamson
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Thanks a lot :)
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Stryke.
I've been doing Judo for 6 years and we have spent maybe 2 hours in class on it and I went to one 3 hour seminar.
I think there is a lot to be learned there but no one does it around here anyway.
In fact some of the best Judo Kata people are the older women who trained before Judo allowed women into international competition.
They were still able to compete in kata competitions.

In fact Sensei Fukuda who is 93 years old is said to be the top expert of ju-no Kata alive today.
She is certainly one of the most amazing martial artists still alive today, if not the most amazing.

She was recently in Oprah's magazine which sadly my wife doesn't get.
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

hey Fred I remember reading an article on her , she does sound amazing !

I thought the kata might give me a good look at Judo basics , and a good way to memorise and classify , kinda like us karate folks do .

with the BJJ I`m doing and all the clinch work I`m playing with I find myself more and more looking at the little Judo I know .

I`m also finding that with ahving less apprehension about falling and going to the ground , the throws I can do seem that much easier .

Hopefully within the next year or so i`ll be able to cross train in a little judo .
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Stryke,
Learning Uechi is quite a bit different from learning a grappling art.
With Uechi you can look at the Kata that you know and use that as a benchmark for rank, not so in Judo or BJJ as I understand it.
Each school has it's own system for giving out rank which often includes competition. Traditionally they use a 6 kyu system in Judo so you could move a kyu and not know it if they are using the white-brown-black belt method. I think in Europe they use more belts sometimes.
I wouldn't be hesitant to walk in a Judo school at all. some BJJ takedowns won't score because of rules but groundfighting is groundfighting.
In the BJJ schools I have visited they seem to lack emphasis on the pins which can be important. The flip side is they are better at armbars than I.
So don't think I'm putting them down.
A classmate once had a drunk problem brother acting up at family gathering for example and he had to pin him for several minutes until he calmed down. Obviously choking him out or breaking his arm wouldn't have been a good thing. So those pin skills can be important too.

I wouldn't look to the Kata at a beginner level for any answers.
I will point you to an awesome tape.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=video
There is so much knowledge on this tape it's unbelievable.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Thanks Fred , awesome stuff .

Deffinately the best thing is to get out on the mat :D

thanks for the help , I`ll look into it more , I feel some basic Judo would round out my game nicely
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

See the woman in the picture with the white stripe down the middle?

They used to give women a black belt with a white stripe years ago and now they wear the same as a man.

When you see that you got a serious, old school, female Judoka.
:D
F.
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”