What is the best defense against a hook punch ?

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
J. Sheldon

What is the best defense against a hook punch ?

Post by J. Sheldon »

I would like to hear from anyone who can share there best defense against a hook punch, real life situations .
Josann

Post by Josann »

My 2 cnets. A good, strong, sanchin with the hands held a little high. Pivoting a bit from the waist into the attack using the stance enables you to use a simple block that is very effective. The key is to bring the hands up a bit, which is ok as the attacker is committed to hitting you in the head. A wauke also works but takes time to complete the circle.
Taekido

Post by Taekido »

There is something called the S.P.E.A.R., it stands for SPontaneous Enabling Accelerated Response developed by Tony Blauer.

Tony did not invent the movement, but he did bring it to the forefront of combatives type gross motor skill movements.

I will attempt to describe it. Imagine a BG (bad guy) throwing a hook punch/haymaker at you, lets say with his right hand. Using angular movement, you move into his strike with both arms raised and at a greater than 90 degree angle forward. Your left forearm impacts the inside of his right bicep while your right forearm impacts into his collar bone area. This can cause extreme pain/damage to the bicep as well as fracture the collar bone.

To follow up, the right elbow immediately does a vertical elbow strike under the chin, then hammer fist downward into the face, then horizontal elbow, then rearward elbow followed by an upper body clinch and knee spike.

Each is a gross motor skill response. The whole sequence can be done in just over a second which critically interferes with the Bg's O.O.D.A. loop.

It is the best defense I've seen/used/taught for this type of attack and requires only a minimum of training to use for effect. I hope I've explained it adequately enough to follow.
David Schultz
Moo Shin Do - Taekido
JoeLauzon

Post by JoeLauzon »

If the hook comes from your left... cover your left ear with your left hand while angling your elbow out in front of you.

If the hook comes from your right... cover your right ear with your right hand while angling your elbow out in front of you.

In either case, you are open to a body shot... but if you know the hook is coming high you are fine... and in most cases a single body shot isn't going to do much damage. You can also angle your elbow down to protect against the body shot if you see it coming.
--Joe Lauzon
robb buckland

simple S.P.E.A.R.

Post by robb buckland »

I like the S.P.E.A.R. system :D .....

S.P.E.A.R. (simplified) pivot in or out (depending on direction of fire) fire the counter punch (closest weapon closest target) to the bicep or brachioplexis tie in..(shoulder joint)
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”