If Everything is in sanchin.....

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Its a very very small aspect of man that looks starts ,attempts to apprehend sanchin ,what I am attempting to do is move towards this larger part .
But it is impossible to do this ,if we think we are already developed ,and our opinions come from this huge aspect of ourselves ,before we can get something real and tangable about ourselves we must lower ourselves ,or at least learn to do this .
So I start to realise if I am going to learn first of all from a teacher I need to lower in some form myself ,taking into account the teachers methods ,such as can I bottam these methods ,do the methods have depth that I cannot penetrate .
On this basis the older methods maybe don't appear to have depth or suitability ,at the present I have really been showing how the will is worked and brought into awareness ,given direction without support from any other syllabus material ,any fighting method worth its salt knows this ,we are producing a will ,but not a blind will ,i know full well this will can only be small at the side of these giant possibilities that sanchin can help actualize .

So now I can see quite clearly a evolving move from small to large,from micro to macro ,i see this very clearly without one element of support material ,even though there was a need to get rid of of things that spoil this view that never would have presented itself to me if minimal had not been seen then practically worked .elements that spoil this view had to be rooted out and made to take a back seat ,this is a true meaning of learning to travel light ,time spent on these tasks were not fruitless at all there was a brilliant method at work all along ,the method was old ,yet its paint is fresh ,and it points to larger things .
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Just as there are different conceptions on what a foundation means? there are the exact sames concepts to what minimal means ,such as some could think they are truly at the inner core of minimal because they stick to three kata etc.?
Conceptual wise all-inclusive in relation to what it actually is will reflect differently amongst us ,basically I am posting the idea that we can't know all-inclusiveness from the smaller parts of ourselves ?.
But we arnt always going to admit we think and act from these small parts of ourselves,Obviously we possess varying degrees of both knowledge and opinion ,this is a reason why i always sift through what constitutes knowledge in contrast to opinion .
Do we need will to aim for all-inclusiveness? is this just an opinion or knowledge ?.
Was minimal a primary element in the older method ? is this just another opinion or again is it knowledge .
Is the older methods foundation a true example of producing minimal a opinion ,or is it knowledge .
As every one in uechi-ryu gone into these aspects in depth or are they hearing them in this manner for the first time ? whats your conceptions of minimal ? .
Do we practice what we preach ,is our life at times embraced minimal what sanchin tried to indicate ,or do we just live in a totally flamboyant manner .

We speak of simplisity ,but are we on the same wave length to what it actually represents ?
I said minimal and all-inclusive are far apart ,yet the beginning is close to the end .
max ainley
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I find minimalisim and simplicity at this stage to be using the most effeceint motions and most direct course .

using the base , the inherent nature of mans physiollogy as the starting point , the harmonies and how the body works most effeceintly , correct natural posture , not forced , but aligned , how we were made ...

always coming back to how the body is aligned and how it functions .

Then Sanchin , Sanchin can teach and test this , and also show the basic defensive positions , continually refining .

then back incorporating the mind and spirit , the mind refining the flaws , the spirit leading the body , adding intent to the harmonies , leading with the spirit .

all this to me is very internal , and very much a training of the self over the technical , returning to a natural state unbound by previous habits , creating a habit(or awareness) of effeceincy and natural movement .

And slowly as we expand through the techniques and kata , we encorporate variations on the theme , Harmonious movemnt , natural power and defensive position .

letting the natural mind take over letting the spirit lead , and instinct again come to the fore .

Learning through feel and awareness , comprehension of a more natural state .

Just some thoughts .

interesting posts Max

Thanks

Marcus
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Markus ,progressive thought on your experience .shows you have taken your time with sanchin .

" Then sanchin,sanchin can teach and test this ,and also show the basic defensive positions ,continually refining"

To carry out this refining etc, of which any one at varous levels of engagement with sanchin ,can put time to .

My main point ,is to sharpen the point of minimal ,sort of drink this in ,my posts are sharp to the point meant to cut deeper prodding jolting towards this sharpening side of sanchin .
In the older original methods sharpening is sort of thrust upon the student ,such as we have to go were sometimes words don't or are not yet really necessary .
Silence is rock bottom minimum ,to learn we must sharpen ,but my point is what ?.
Interpretation; the method is showing that absolute minimum a student really needs ,the method already knows that man in general , as mixed views upon what is considered to represent minimal ,and it also varies how he/she deals or does not deal with silence .
Normally man is not trained to deal with silence at all ,he/she learns to cope in multiple ways ,so the method will cut into you because its at the absolute core of minimum.
So the absolute core is at work ,we are exposed to the absolute min of this core ?the learner wants to learn and the teaching wants to teach ,the game is on .
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

In order to go outwards ,uechi-ryu practioners pour back this outward expression back to the simplicity of sanchin ,the result there is more understanding etc.
In the original distribution of material a minimum requirement is dished out ,in dead simple terms ,yet nine out of ten times the student does not really want this ,this in its own right can blot out lots of information on this new canvas ,my point is; it was not hidden from us ,the student just did not want to see it .or know how to see it .?
Instead of spiralling outwards [material] I just want to spiral backwards into minimal its self .
I rush, but now i wish to minimise this rush ,but to do this I require[Will] so I start to further realise the will can further develop on even less than before ?.
What I thought was less [minimal ] was only part of this rush forewards into material ,and the conceited aspect of me thought I don't rush ,yet from a methodology point of view every ones rush is different .
We can halt this rush any time we want ,but without the Will we would find it difficult to slow down the momentum ,this momentum can be a mind thing ,or one of the body ,or a spiritual matter .
I now halt this outward spiral by serious efforts of will ,attempting to brake on these three horses ,mind body spirit .
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Even though outward expressions ,brought back to sanchin create understanding ,this does not imply sanchin is in primary position ,this as already been mentioned .And it also does not mean the practioner would or could use nothing but sanchin to protect ones self ?.
If all is in sanchin ,its fighting ability should be able to take care of its self ,one could think .

In one methodology nothing else is needed but sanchin ,but as I have been posting this poses many difficulties as any serious practioner will know ,i have pointed out the essentials that can bring very solid evidance to carring this out .and it involves some spiral backwards .
So what can evolve by spiralling backwards ?I mention the will in ref;to rushing ,,then I have to identify what is causing this rush forewards .it needs bearing in mind that sanchin can be in primary position with rush behind the push .
I avoid spiralling backwards in a rush ,by applying the brakes similar to halting the rush forewards, I have turned the three horses [mind body spirit ,slowing turning backwards spiralling minimising as greater control comes to my eyes ,were these eyes out of control looking for more ,when now I can truly say I am looking more and more at less .
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

"I am looking more and more at less ",this seems to contradict ,seeing more as in expansion ,again its nothing but a state of and attempting to penetrate a very condensive kata .
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

If we bring something back to sanchin ,we expand in relationship to the meaning ,yet with spiralling backwards and inwards we lose elements that are totally not needed ,plus we are entering invisible aspects of sanchin .
Invisible to our present vision ,only will and patience can hold or sustain this type of developing vision ,the main point here is we are not bringing anything back to expand our knowledge base ,we are directly pentrating the knowledge base its self,quite simply we are self supporting .

1.I have said its impossible to sustain focus on sanchin without will ,and its impossible to sustain will without patience ,again this produces new feeling on subject ,externally we are expanding .Yet the mind and spirit have to narrow this focus ,so the body is developing under narrowing spirit and mind conditions [older school of thought ].
2. I see quite clearly this narrowing I am right inside of it ,my vision is undergoing change.
3. For sanchin to have all-inclusive features it must have these ever decreasing minimal contractions ,along side the expansive ones .
His my minimal your minimum ? to see into sanchins minimal ,mans minimal womans minimal ,can only be seen by removing the surplace ,this brings us to another question who was responsible for blinding man from this vision of minimal ?.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Sanchin is so structured and designed ,that it develops our limitations and balances our gross unbalanced characteristics , this helps [seeing into minimal ] our overall [present awareness of minimal will increase .
This indicates characteristics of all-inclusiveness ,we know or start to know both narrow and broad ,surface and depth .
I would need to know is my knowledge surface narrow,
Lets say focus is on making sanchin work as a fighting form ,we would if we secured that goal [and for sanchin to qualify for all-inclusive]we would have to secure that goal ,and we would qualify for narrow with deep ,that would be my qualification in uechi-ryu .
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Narrow and deep ?up to now nearly all said centres around "narrow and deep ,sort of diminishing circles ?

Try to stay on course aiming for narrow and deep ,we would find all the characteristics mentioned would be valid ?.
I hope that my posts are providing information that there is much more to "narrow and deep "than I ever expected ,and may you do ?.
Just food for thought .
Sanchin training originally provided for narrow and deep ?, but are we gradually losing that chararacteristic ,or do we think it can be produced by other means ? comments would be very valuable .
max ainley
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Max , I see this reflected in the way folks approach there training , overly technical approaches IMHO , very rigid stances and postures .

while such stances and postures may be a great place to start , eventually the positions should be natural IMHO and the lesson learn conveyed into a normal step say rather than just a strict Sanchin stance .

This to me would be narrow focus but deep understanding .

taking the lessons and incorporating them into the general rather than the specific .

while all is valid , it`s a more holisitc approach to my way of thinking/feeling .

Less can be more .
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Thanks Markus,for your view ,comments .
You ref; 1.natural 2 holistic. Good points ?

my statement getting rid of the surplus ,could mean any old thing ,my meaning is meant to reflect elements that stop one from being more natural or holistic as you say .
A problem with this from a methodology viewpoint is we are going to get a aquire a narrow but deep understanding for both natural and holistic ,to transfer this would reflect that understanding ,and this is what the methodology was about,yet getting someone to do this in the first place can be difficult ,this why I COVERED to a certain extent in my beginning posts elements in this SURPLUS that stop us doing what the ryu originally wanted its practioners to do .

When I look more into this evolving methodology I don't focus as much on kanbun sensei etcetra ,but the all-in clusive mind at the back of it ,i first of all got a good understanding of this back in 1977 plus even before writing any thing down on narrow and deep I had knowledge of all-inclusive ,we could get stuck on narrow or deep ,or bogged down with a whole syllabus of material ,a great feeling and a idea to both carry out and further reflect upon is to partially free the man to look ,train evolve ,this syllabus material ,free of quite a lot of the Surplus mentioned the infests man /woman .
Another meaning of narrow and deep was to provide for this .
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

At one end of the scale we have narrow and deep ,attaining this goal is not simple ,and there is much more to this aspect of uechi-ryu alone ,but as mentioned it would not make sense to be stuck in a rut of practice with it ,yet at the same time lots of uechi-practioners are never going to have spent time with narrow and deep .
At the other end of the scale we have all-inclusiveness,now it follows that to truly understand narrow and deep ,one would have a need for the mind /body/spirit state that can hack it ,stick in there for starters , plus understand its reasons and meanings why it was a part of the ryu.

So within narrow and deep allthough limited ,can be measured ,its depth plumbed also .this relates across the mind/body spirit realites ,such as this is my range of thought on subject in respect of experiential practice,okay I feel more on less ,in practice get more from less etc, but its limited .
What are the major factors that now keep things limited?.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

If I had started this series of posts by saying this is in sanchin ,thats in sanchin ,then getting backed up by everyone who love the multi elements that sanchin offers ,then the counter claims that just about anything can be attributed to sanchin .
My own idea was to come at this from the bottom ,exposing some of our limitations as we go ,yet converting other new elements into strengths ,that can learn to experience minimal,we needed this strength to apprehend minimal , i also said everyones idea of minimal will vary ,so it must follow that our ideas upon the limited elements of man must vary .
A idea of the ryu was to address this issue ,thats why it had narrow and deep .
Narrow and deep was not a set of answers left by a long dead master on a scroll ,but a methodology instead ,this yet another reason why , tailoring of the methodology would follow this a aspect of limited man .
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Does it make any sense to understand from the bottom up limited man's perspective .He can understand these strengths,are aiding delving into minimal,everything in the methodology is testing this limited aspect ,yet we could focus upon the strengths and start to ignore the exposed limited elements .
Both characteristics ;strength and the limited are weighed ,because they are dominant features in the training ,also when ref; strength i avoid the one sidedness of the physical ,strength means all elements that have been enhanced improved or discovered and further spiralled in this minimalisitc framework .
I now see a framework were there was none .
max ainley

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”