Real American

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

f.Channell

Real American

Post by f.Channell »

I posted a link to an artifact of this great man On Bills forum but thought I'd share it here.

In addition to all these accomplishments he volunteered to return to service well in his 70's for WWI. A survivor of over 40 Indian battles, beginning with Little Big Horn.

Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient Brigadier General Edward Settle Godfrey, United States Army

Born at Kalida, Ohio, October 9, 1843, he served as a Private, Company D, 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry from April 12, 1861. He subsequently entered West Point and graduated in the Class of 1867. He was commissioned Second Lieutenant, 7th United States Cavalry, June 17, 1867 and was promoted through the grades to Brigadier General, January 17, 1907.

He was breveted Major, February 27, 1890, and awarded the Medal of Honor for "most distinguished gallantry" at Bear Paw Mountain against Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce Indians, September 30, 1877.

He served in all the campaigns and Indian fights of his regiment, under Lieutenant Colonel (Brevet Major General) George A. Custer, until Custer's death.

He originated the Cossack and Rough Riding maneuvers for the Army Cavalry and was a member of the Board which devised drill regulations for Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry for the Army.

He served in Cuba during the Spanish-American War and in the Philippines during the Insurrection there.

He was retired by operation of law on October 9, 1907.

He was also Senior Vice Commander in Chief of the Loyal Legion of the United States and was a 32 degree Mason. He was the author of "Cavalry Fire Disciplines," "Custer's Last Battle," "Some Reminincences, Including An Account of General Sully's Campaign Against The Southern Plains Indians," "Some Reminiscences Including The Washita Battle of November 26, 1868."

He died on April 1, 1932 and was buried in Section 3 of Arlington National Cemetery. His second wife, Ida D. Emely Godfrey (1856-1941), whom he married on October 6, 1892, is buried with him.

Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Thanks

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

A very interesting piece of history.

I will see if I can dig up any more history on the units. Some states (like New Jersey) kept excellent records regarding their regiments, at least as to availability on the internet.

Most did not.

War Gaming via Avalon Hill (board games) gives one a better feel as to terrain, geography, unit capability etc...

It is unfortunate that I do not know what game AH presently has available. When I was playing them a lot my favorites were:

Panzerblitz; the Eastern front at roughly the company level. From this one learned which weapons the creators felt were the most effective and therefore the most feared in the East.

Gettysburg; played roughly at the Regiment level. A game which had excellent geographics and unit analysis as well as imparting a good knowledge of unit commanders.

Alexander; a breakdown of Gaugamela (aka Arbela) showing the units, commanders, topography etc.

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
mikemurphy

real american?

Post by mikemurphy »

Fred,

I love the pseudo-biography of Gen. Godfrey. It was very interesting. I may pick up his book if I can find it; however, I have to question your subject heading (i.e. "Real American"). I don't think I agree that just because this man served the country in a military capacity above & beyond, you can imply that this is "the" way to be a "real American." Many other people serve it in many other ways. I know you know that, but I thought it worth it to say.

thanks,

mike
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hi Mike,

Look at the fact that he started out as a lowly foot soldier and rose to the highest ranks of his profession.

Then in his twilight years was ready to sacrifice his life for his country yet again.

And this is Western martial arts and history.

Give an example of someone unknown whose virtues you admire.

I like hearing about forgotten heroes of all types.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Real American

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hi:

I don't think Fred intended to be exclusionary in his desigation of a military man as a "real American".

It was a nice post and took a deal of time to enter.

Mike your point about non military people being "eligible" to be considered real Americans " is just the plain and simple truth.

Do we not consder the 343 Firefighters killed a 'Ground Zero" in that category?

JT
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I thought Fred was referring to the fact he was a Mason ......

f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hey Stryke,

My father was one of those guys.

Maybe he even knew where the National treasure was buried.......

Maybe he held the key to this mystery.

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/

Only Mike, John and I know the secrets of the Grange ghost.
8)

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

The Grange Ghost

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Quite right Fred.

Nonetheless I would to get ahold of General Godfrey's books.

One might particularly be interested in the Book On the Washita.

It my mind it sits alongside "Wounded Knee" as a non Battle.

I will try and search more information out.

Does Stryke know the Grange, Masons and Templars are linked?

Why is the Demolay called what it is?

JT
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

All my brothers were in Demolay. The girls had Rainbow Girls and the wives had Eastern Star.

These things reached out to kids before they had all of what they have for choices now. at least for those not involved in Scouts.

Those books look like a good read.

I read about battles my immediate ancestors (in terms of lineage) have been in. One is the Battle of Rhode Island in the Revolution and the other is a battle in the Civil War.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I can show you the secret hand gesture ..... :roll:

I know more than I should about the Masons , as for the templers ;)

I wish such things didnt interest me .
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I think there was a secret book he memorized also. My dad actually met a lot of good friends in the Masons. Also quite a few losers.

It was good that they didn't drink in the Lodge, bad they all got together after and did.

Going to all the functions and being dressed up and good as a young lad made me scratch it off my list of things to do in life.

I hate getting on a tie and forget wearing an apron, even if I'm cooking.

They had a cool ceiling which lit up with stars, I liked that.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

"Anyone For Gary Owen"

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Gary Owen.

The tune adopted by the 7th as it's own.

The Seventh was left off the roster (Army TOS) I beleive but reconstituted later.

See the Book and movie "We were you Once and Soldiers" by General Moore.

The Seventh Served in Vietnam Two elements coupled with a Helicopter unit fought in Ia Drang at the infamous "LZ X-Ray".

The Seventh fought in Desert Storm.

I have no specific memory as to where. Heck I can't remeber eerything.

See or read "Little Big Man" for the 'human beings" (Cheyenne name for themselves) for a correct description of the Washita an Rent "They Died With Their Boots ON" for the romnaticed version of Little Big Horn"

"My Name Is Jack Crabbe and I knew General Custer alright" (Jack Crabbe's opening comment as delivered by Dustin Hoffman In Little Big Man.

A fascinating read.

I will be posting something on the A Shau fight the Washita and Little Bighorn.

JT

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”