Upgunned Shermans

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Upgunned Shermans

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

In Normandy, at such times as 'jabos' wre not available, a five unit Sherman Platoon would race to get to the rear of the Tiger or Panther to hit it in the rear where, allegedly, armor was thinnest.

No, I agree, I don't think just upgunning and retrackuing the Super Shermans alone beat the Sov Bloc Tanks in the Six day war.

What is clear is that a WWII issue unimpoved Sherman, despite the skill of the crews, would have had a very tough time against T-54 et al,

Regardless, as you say, the Six day war saw the capture of thousand of T-55's, for example, and upgunned in turn to be called the "Ti-67".

The Israelis do not seem to throw such vehicles away, but I don't know where they are.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

My office at the SEC works with computer and computer related companies making public offerings. Some years back, we had an Israeli company that made targeting and fire control equipment to adapt Soviet tanks to Israeli weaponry. There was an American Jewish fellow in the office to whom the registration had been assigned who came to me wondering just why in the Hell an Israeli company would be making targeting computers for the tanks used by Israel's enemies. I pointed out that, at that time, Israel had captured so many Soviet tanks from its Arab neighbors that whole reserve units of the IDF were equipped with them, upgraded to IDF standards. This made him happy and he went off to finish his work on the filing.

BTW, what I told him was the truth and nothing less.
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5
JOHN THURSTON

A Question or two

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hi Hugh:

I know the Israelis alss keep a large number of us White Halftacks around.

I see that they have converted some of their Centurions (Puma?) to APC's (ours should have such armor).

What is the status with veteran Israeli M-60's?

What is the status with our old M-60'S.

I know that they are building no more Abrams at present, but the company that made them is kept quite busy refurbishing and updating veteran Abrams more or less 24/7.

Israel opted for moe armor and more gun over speed as their needs are not exactly the same as ours.

Should we have a'dedicated "medium" tanks, (updated M-60's or dieseled M-1's for inffantry support?

A commentator on the sometimes woeful segments on the Military Chanell said that the M-47, M-48 and M-60 were uprgraded M-4 Shermans. While this is not the case (suspensions and profiles totally different) it seems clear that the Abrams was necessary to 'compete' with Challenger, Panther III and Leclerc.

Many M-48's in US service were upgunned to the 105mm gun, which could serve well against Former Sovbloc Tanks as well as in the Infantry suport role.

John

John
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”