Super Bowl XLII

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

Hugh

Super Bowl XLII

Post by Hugh »

I had no dog in the hunt since I was a Redskins fan until Dan Snyder screwed things up for the team, so I could just sit back and enjoy the game. It was, I think, the best Super Bowl that I have seen and I have seen most of them, including the famous Jets-Colts game. It was a sterling defensive game down to the last about 8-9 minutes of play when both sides' defenses were flat wiped but the Giants had just the smallest increment more than the Patriots and they gave the ball to Eli Manning for what had to be the most sensational last two minute drive ever. And then they held the Patriots from getting within field goal range in the last seconds. What a game! BRAVO GIANTS!

The only puzzle to me was why the Patriots didn't go to quick screen passes to break up that Giants' blitz.

This is not intended to rub anything in, simply to wax enthusiastic about a well-played and very hard-fought game.
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

It wasn't a great game for me because I felt like the Giants were winning all the way through, except briefly near the end. Let's face it, the Pats have looked beatable for awhile now, and that opening drive of the Giants got me worried from the beginning.

I do think it was a significant coaching error not accepting the permanent reality of the phenomenal Giants pass rush and playing to compensate for it until relatively late, when they did have some success. If they switch to that kind of play calling earlier, who knows what could have happened. Perhaps the initial touchdown gave a false sense of normalcy, that normal productivity was just around the corner?

There were a few officiating calls to quibble about, the decision to go for it on 4th and 13 instead of attempting a field goal, some embarrassingly bad clock management by the officials at the end, but I didn't think any of that decided the game. What decided the game was the outstanding play of the Giants defensive front and Eli Manning doing his job, not making the big mistakes. The Pats didn't even play that badly under the circumstances. Brady's numbers weren't Brady-like, but he didn't make dumb mistakes under the pressure, and the defense held the Giants to just 17 points. That would have been good enough any other game of the season, just not that night. I can't be sure whether the Patriot offensive line played badly or if they were just overwhelmed by a pass rush that might have been among the best ever. It seemed like they had 4 Lawrence Taylors out there, at least for that day. IMO, one of those guys deserved the MVP. Considering the quality of the Patriot offensive line, that was awesome.
Mike
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Obviously, I haven't watched either team all season long, but I was very impressed with both teams field play. I was somewhat less impressed with the Pats coaching staff, especially over their inability to come up with a tactic to deal with the Giants' pass rush. At the same time, I have read that Brady's stats were better than Manning's in completions and in total yardage.
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5
JOHN THURSTON

D'accord

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I though it wat a cood game.

Coughlin has been around--BC-Barecelona Dragons to name two.

He out coached BB, but, unlike BB's relationship with Eric Mangini, he quite likes and respcts Coach Coughlin..

Tactically, viewing your quarter back as your "command center" in the field, you have to protect it.

Philadelphia, The Giants and at least one other team have been able to 'get to Brady'. As we know, he is a pocket passer that has good instintive movement 'inside the pocket".

No Pocket--no command center. :(

But it was a good game.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”