The long slider

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

Van Canna

The long slider

Post by Van Canna »

John, Rich...what's the history behind the long slide 1911?

Do they work well?

Do you guys have one?

How do you get one?

Is this a 'gunsmith thing'?
Van
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

I really do not know anything about it. It might be an IDPA special. I know Glock makes long slide tournament specials. The longer barrel improves accuracy and bullet velocity as well. This could be a 1911 variant.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
JOHN THURSTON

Long Slide

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I don't have a long slide .45acp.

I had a Coontz in .357mag whose slide was roughly of the length shown.

The best thing I can do is ask my dealer buddy, read SGN and call my Gunsmith to see if a long slide can be placed on any 1911.

Smith might be doing it from the factory as their new 1911s are very nice indeed.

My gunsmith on the Cape has cut back his workload but he used to do pistol work. I willl ask him if you are serious. (meaning I will ask him if he is willing to do the job and you are serious about havinge him do it.

In the meantime check the Para and Smith sites as they ship to Mass.

Kimber won't,, of course, nor will colt---I should say Kimber won't ship anything, and Colt only ships Ar's to Mass.

SA has a long slide version but I do not know if they ship handguns to mass.

The serial number is on the frame, of course, so, in theory one could legally order a long slide and barrell for mounting on your frame if I can find a source.

john

(sorry for the delay
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Not sure it is worth the trouble.
Van
JOHN THURSTON

MAYBE NOT

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Sensei:

If your present 1911 shoots well, you probably don't need a longer slide.

Regarding your M-1, ne thing I did not mention, the sights appear to be WWII era "locking bar" sights.

If you were trying to restore a Garand to WWII form, this type of sight would be needed.

John
JOHN THURSTON

Local Company Makes Good

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Be Still my beating Heart.
JOHN THURSTON

AMT

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

The picture shown appears to be in one of the shots provided, an AMT.

Due to "safety regultions" in Chaptersi 93a---since it would not get through even the Liberal Democraric Beacon Hill Gang, the then Attorney General Reilly added regulation re: gun safety. These regulations say this gun cannot be sold by a dealer in this state, although it still can be sold personally.

This last window is one Governor Patrick is seeking to close.

So let your voice be known on Beacon hill. Call you individuial legislator, they listen to such calls and normally respond.

The AG's right to , basically, enact law through the Consumer Prtection Chapter of Mass Law was sadly upheld.

As was the 1998 provision of the "Assualt Rifle Bill" baning "home" FFL's and mass. Firearms dealersips.

Goodby Johns' FFL, so I took a bigger hit in 1999 than i would have under other matters which I have referced but not specifically set forth

So, If you are wondering why we can only get S&W 1911s, (and a few others) place the blame there.

In any event AMT has been out of business for 12 years. there is no one around to run this item through the Hoops raised by an AG no longer in office.

You cannot buy this gun on Auction Arms since it cannot be shipped to you to a dealer, nir is it likely that you can purchase it out of state on your mass license (this applies to a LOT of handguns.

You cna prabably be 'gifted' the item bu an anidividial out of state or in the state.

An in state tranfser would still require the filing of an FA -10, and if the Divison of Public Safety decides to come down on you, I can't tell you what would happen.

Such a sad state of affairs.

:(

He Ran for Governor and lost.

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”