The Tactical Carbine

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

Van Canna

The Tactical Carbine

Post by Van Canna »

The Ultimate Tactical Firearms
~A Three Part Series~
by Dr. Leonard M. Breure, PhDIntroduction

Part #1 - The Tactical Carbine

Let's start by looking at one of today's most popular firearms, the M-16 / M-4 / AR-15 family of weapons.

Specifically, let's narrow our focus to its use in the CQB, patrol rifle, personal protection role. I have used or trained people using, every major brand of AR-15 carbine available today.

Some are great, some terrible, most are just plain OK. If you have a ton of money to spend, many of the higher end, semi-custom guns are awesome. But what if you're just an average Joe?

I recently had the opportunity to purchase and equip two new semi-automatic AR-15 carbines. One for me and one for my wife, also a former M.P. I was able to buy any gun and accessories that I deemed fit to create my "ultimate" tactical carbine. Here is what we did and why.

The gun that was chosen was a Rock River Arms CAR A4 AR1222X. After extensive testing by several government agencies, Rock River is providing guns for many of our federal agents.

In addition, my contacts in the training world tell me that the Rock River guns just keep on working - period. This 16" carbine was ordered with Rock River's aluminum, free floating quad rail. Free floating allows for the best accuracy possible out of a given barrel as there is no uneven pressure exerted by anything touching the barrel.

The quad rail is the best way to attach accessories to the barrel area of an AR. The two guns I received proved to be tremendously accurate, both shooting one ragged hole at 100 yards off the bench.

Working from the muzzle back, I started by adding Smith Enterprises' Vortex flash hider to both guns. I've had the opportunity to test over a dozen different flash hiders during extended night fire exercises. The Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider is by far the best. It all but eliminates muzzle flash completely.

Attached to the left side of the quad rail is Spec-Ops Mamba Sling. This three point sling has served me well for many years. All my tactical carbines and shotguns are so equipped.

The lower rails of both guns are equipped with SureFire's outstanding M900A tactical light that incorporates an integral vertical hand grip. Boasting 225 Lumens with the optional MN-11 bulb, this light offers blinding illumination and target identification while enhancing control of the carbine.

One of the best additions that can be made to a tactical carbine is the addition of good optics. This is especially true in low light or as we age and our vision deteriorates.

Keeping our CQB role in mind, for my money the only choice is the L-3 / EOTech Holographic Weapons Sight. I've been able to put extensive trigger time behind most of the major models and the EOTech stands tallest.

The heads up display, large window and dot within a circle reticle allows for speed as well as precision, depending on the need.

The ARMS #40 Back Up Iron Sight was selected to partner with the EOTech. A word to the wise. Murphy is alive and well. Never trust optics without a good set of back up iron sights.

The standard M-4 stocks were replaced by Vltor's E-Mod stock. Vltor's stocks are combat proven. They not only offer a better check weld and fit than standard stocks, but they hold replacement batteries for the optics and light.

Attached to the Vltor stocks, I added a SpecOps Ready-Mag magazine pouch. With one 30 round magazine in the gun and another 30 on the stock, you have at least 60 rounds anytime you grab the gun.

All my AR's are also equipped with a Tac-Latch from DPMS which makes operating the charging handle with the weak hand easier. Finishing out the exterior of both guns, the final two items are Hogue's over molded pistol grip and a MagPull Enhanced Trigger Guard.

These grips allow a solid purchase on the weapon even with cold, wet or bloody hands. The Enhanced Trigger Guard allows for more room in that area, a must for shooting with heavy gloves.

Internally, the only changes I made to the Rock River carbines was to replace the standard hammer and trigger springs with a set from ISMI. Between the outstanding fit and finish of the Rock River parts and the ISMI springs, both my carbines have crisp, clean, 4 pound trigger pulls.

For general purpose use, I issued Federal's Tactical Urban Rifle 55grain JHPs for both guns.

The iron sights were battle zeroed at 25m / 250m and the EOTech HWSs were zeroed at 50 yards.

Going loud with my new Rock River CAR M4 carbine was a most rewarding experience. I've put in a lot of time behind different carbines with various configurations. These two Rock River guns, customized as described, are truly the best I've ever worked with. They are definitely my "ultimate tactical carbines"!
This is the carbine I showed you, John, when you came to the house recently.
Van
JOHN THURSTON

reply (edited)

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Thr carbine shown me was truly a workingman's defence gun and Sensei Van had s0me touble gettinng me to return it ti him.

It seems the US May be moving new caliber in roughly 5,8MM or . The cartridge would be based on the .32 Rem headsize, midway between the .233/9mm size and the 'o6 size.

Present M-16 uppers could in this caliber could be phased in; all that/ 233 uppers could be kept on hand in case of problems in transitision.

whether the US will stay with the Stoner design, or seek out a "bullpup' design is anyone's guess and there has beeb some hue an cry from the intro of the Rifle to dictch stoner's system altogether. After all the M-16 has been/America's firearm for 40 years and many many manufacturers could supply any increase in need.

I certainly would not mind trying a new 5.8mm upper.

Britain, Belgium, Austria, France and Israel have all gone to "bullpups" and I will post more on these designs.

I will also post more on China's 5.8 mm cartridge chambered for it's Walmart money finannced Assualt rifles.

At one time, one could have purchased all but the Chiinese Assualt rifle and Israels Galillz and Tvor at Lew Horton's. (in semi auto form, of course.)

A correction: China has adopted a 5.8mm cartridge (not quite .270) and the US is looking at this and the .270 cal in a short case.
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

The caliber .270 would be some formidable improvement to the AR _ 8O
Van
JOHN THURSTON

5.8-6.8mm

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I just wanted to make it clear that the proposed round is not that based on the .30-06 case head size (#2) or, indeed, on any really 'popular" head size in use today. Mostly thees are comprized of the standard "magnum" headsize and the 9mm/.223 headsize.

As noted, the PLA has alreadt gone to this type of round.

The movement is based on the perceived lack of penetration of the 5.56mm cartridge and the same characteristic of 'our' sniper rounds in the field. Know it make some sense that the Bush administration opposed the ICC with respect to American serviing in any 'current" war..

The perception is, in turn, enhanced by the decreasing weight and increasing effectiveness of personall military body armor.

Even the venerable 7.62 mm Nato (not for combat use) will not consistently penetrate body armor at extended ranges.

the answer to this latter problem, already addressed by the Russians in hi penetration versions of the 7.62X54R, is not really new.

The M72 Match ammo wass made in the lake City arsenal, and it had adequate penetration all most ranges.

This, and other military rounds, are made by forming the copper jacket from "the front back" ithe reverse of commercial match projectiles.

the latter are also in violation of the Geneva convention as they are 'hollow pointed".

the core of the 'commercial" match projection is, because it is more easily formed from softer alloy lead, is not inclined to producted deeep penentration and actually 'mushroooms' rather easily at 200 meters.

How the SS109 figures into this is not clear.

The 5.56 round is not normally considered a 600 meter plus round in any event.

So, I suppose, something new must be had by our military, sho, normally, seem to focus on 'big ticket" items first and the Nuts and bolts of this type of problem last.

Remember that the venerable Krag was only adopted becasue is met the Army's requirement of 'being usable" in the single shot mode.

The British similarly required this with respect to their "lee Metford" rifle, the British contemporary of the Krag.

The Russians have used their rimmed caretridge since 1891. However, I am not familiar witht he inner working of the Moisin rifle.

Since I have misplaced my article on the 5.8 mm cartridges, I will have to, once again, supplement this later.

J.
Last edited by JOHN THURSTON on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

I am not taking a position in this discussion but I thought that you all might be interested in this site if you don't already know of it.
http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5
JOHN THURSTON

No Position required

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

No hard set position is required my friend.

The New US assualt rifle (pics soon) is reportedly much easier to maintain than Eugene Stoners design.

Even the Israeli designer of their new "Tvor (sp)" Assualt rifle was reluctant to say any bad about the M-16 and remarked that Stoner's Design was "ingenious".

It, in turn, is/was remotely based on the Swedish "LungMann" gas operating system also less successfully used in the Egyptian "Rashid" rifle.

Although they have the Gallil chambered in 5.56 mm, and FN's and UZI in storage, most 'photo ops' of Israeli troops still show the M-16 in hand.

The only real design flaw in the AK is the fact that the gas piston and Bolt and Carried are essentially one piece, and that it is a lot of metal to be slamming back and forth.

So although it does nor kick hard, It 'vibrates and shakes' vigourously in full auto mode.

more to follow.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Do you mean this one, John?
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm
JOHN THURSTON

Right

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

that is the correct one, apparently cancelled.

I only came across the inof re: the 6.8 SPC and the Chinese equivalent through noting in SGN that AR 15 Uppers and complete weapons were now available in 6/8mm.

I am informed that the Army has ordered 15k of the Uppers in the 6.8 Spc.

It waw designed to fit M-16 mags and require only a chnage of Bolt 'fsce" in the bolt assembly to let it function in M-16 type rifles.

I apologize for the misinformation.

I will post some pics of the proposed/cancelled item along with the Chine 'new' assault Rifle package.

Personaly, I am not a particuilar fan of bullpups and note in passing that the Ar design can be manufactured in many calibers, including 9mm which the Army already must supply as fodder for the Beretta M-9.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Here is the page on the latest version of the Chinese assault rifle:
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as80-e.htm

BTW, you all might wish to bookmark the basic site as it is immensely helpful.

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”