Can You Not See??

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Can You Not See??

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I honestly feel that, to use an often quoted phrase, in this case 3 connected phrases:

1. those who do not know History are doomed to repeat it.

2. History never repeats itself

3. Historical Situations reoccur.

Well let us comment on number one, no, history does not repeat itself in the sense that you cannot cross the same river twice. However, this is a "catchy phrase" type thing, in that the form and shape of the the river may, generally, change only over great periods of time. Note: one species and one nation that changes the flow of water, and harnesses it's power and irrevocably affects the ecological sstate of the area of the River. There are 75,000 dams in the US. It powered our industrial revolution to a great extent, and , here in Massaachusetts, there are three rivers I can comment on. a. The River Charles, the Standells "dirty water", known as the Big Muddy, locally before the River was, to some extent, cleaned up. Now, because the Charles is Dammed near the locks aside the Science Museum. No boat can go onto the river except throught the lock, which is almost ancient, I would think. Was was destroyed, and I admit I cannot factually prove it, it may have had its own migratory Population of "Saxitilllis Roccus". It is Known as the Rockfish starting at the Chesapeake, and here it is known as the Striped Bass. The Charles may not have had an indigenous population of Bass and, surprisingly perhaps more important, the common eel, whose reproduction cycle is the reverse that of that Bass and Salmon, in that they make there way back to some unknown spot in the deep ocean to spawn, and the "fingerlings" return. There are only two Rivers left in the US that run free to the Pacific or, in the case of a forgotten to me named river in Maine, and another in the southlands. These eels are a staple of the diet of the Japanese. most of the Millions of tons of eels eaten there, are farm raised fingerlings. the farms are in China. An Eel sandwich is as common in Tokyo as a Hamburg or Hot Dog at Fenway Park. This is all an aside type narration toshow how much we DO NOT understand or care about in the fabric of this world. JFK noted that the percentage of salt in the Sea is thae same as that in out blood.

You will have to forgive me now as It is late and I am tired. I will make connections in a continuing thread tomorrow or later in the week. But Suffice it to say there are hundreds of 19th century dams in Massachiussetts alone, built for a number of reasons. Al lot f fish habitat was destroyed by the Corps of Engineers in the making of so called flood control and "canalization" which leaves no handy pockets for ambushed predators like the Trout. But I will have to leave this by noting that there is at least ones extremely dangerous "Historical Situation" getting ready to repeat itself and might likely be the actual start of a Third World War. Forget " World War Z" and note that Brad Pitt certainly redeemed himself in my eyes in "Fury".

More tomorrow.

Brer John.
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
gmattson
Site Admin

Re: Can You Not See??

Post by gmattson »

Interesting John. . . Hope to read more soon.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
f.Channell

Re: Can You Not See??

Post by f.Channell »

Hi John,

I know you asked me to visit to the forum, sorry its been so long. Maybe this is the topic you wanted to discuss?

So as an attorney you might check out Lexus Nexus and read about one of the first tests of eminent domain that occurred on the Essex River in Massachusetts. I wrote about it in my book The Immortal Patriot. The river was damned up and then the water was released slowly to operate a carding mill. Because the government had made a permit and allowed they were also involved in the lawsuit. The river being elevated for longer periods of time affected the growth or grass along the banks and reduced the feed for an upriver farmers sheep. So the farmer took everyone he could to court. This was in the early 1800's. These little mills were scattered across New England in both fresh water and tidal rivers. At one of these old mill complexes I visited in Quincy all the higher tidal areas had been backfilled. I understand this may be a major reason why hurricanes and ocean storm flood waters are not absorbed and cause so much damage in the present day.
Or we could say it is global climate change. I assume it is the former. Backfilling marginal land to sell.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”