My New Spider friend..

The dojo to many is a place of beauty, where the daily ritual of working out takes place. Do you have a special place where you work out? A special design you created that gave the dojo its personality and in the process gives you the inspiration to put a little more into your workout? Share your secrets here.
gmattson
Site Admin

My New Spider friend..

Post by gmattson »

We have hundreds of lizards that guard our house. Bugs don't have a chance. One climbs up the window in my office at least once an hour, checking the area for bugs. I saw it catch one last week. They are incredible "stalkers".

Two days ago I noticed a huge spider resting on a single thread, stretching from our roof to the ground. Since it is in the middle of my window view, I am able to watch it whenever I look up from what I'm doing.

Yesterday morning, it had finished creating 23 strands from the roof to ground in a circular pattern. After resting for a couple hours, it began the chore of creating its web around 6pm last night. I was mesmerized by how single minded it was as it scurried around the outside of the web, working inward at an incredibly steady and methodical manner. I finally had to go outside to view its work. I was able to get right next to it. Took a couple of flash pictures, but my digital camera doesn't do closeups very well.

One thing about this spider, it doesn't get distracted or does it fear anything while working. Interestingly, the closer it got to the center of the web, the closer the sections were to one another.

This morning I decided to check out the web close-up. Unlike yesterday, as I approached, it scurried up the web and tried to hide at the highest point of the web.

GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

George, Those spiders are great for creating webs across areas that you would think impossible until you walk right through them out in the open.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

8)
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

My new spyder friend ..... :D

Bought another one last week .

Just cant pull myself away from the simple and elegant spydercos ....
Uechi Dude

Post by Uechi Dude »

Welcome to Florida :)
Live for the journey , not the title's :)
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

I'm a fan of spiders.
I am also terribly afraid of them, but I enjoy studying them, which is quite a dichotomy.

The last time I was in Southern Florida, I was amazed at how many Spiders were in my hotel room, and this was in the Autumn, where they are *supposed* to be ending thier life-cycle. Wrongo.

I counted one night at least 25 of differing varieties in my room, and this was at a "good" hotel. I awoke the next morning covered with bites. I imagine I must have snacked on a few in the night as well.
(Shudder)
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.

Return to “The Physical Dojo”