Bassai

Differences in moves, techniques, emphasis and applications.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Marcus,
Been away for a few days and I'm mentally fried. I'll be jumping back in once my brain re-engages. :lol:
Mike

After we pick over Bassai maybe we can hit Kanku/Kusanku. I've been doing a comparrison between Kanku Dai and the Isshinryu version of Kusanku.
I was dreaming of the past...
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

No worrys mate , actuaqlly I prefer the second half to bassai , have some better apps .

glad to do Kushanku , love it . Would be gald to hear your insight in variances . I have a focus on apps for this very different form the traditional shotokan targets .

hope to get your thought on empi some stage , that one really gives me trouble .
chef

Post by chef »

"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

You must be a mind reader Vicki, I was just looking for Bobby's web site last night. Thanks

Back into the fray...
The three knife hand blocks. A simple application is you are attacking into the an opponent (irimi) who is now backing off. So with the first two you are trying to gain advantage, the thrid is a shuto to the neck with the "retreating" shuto pulling the opponent down into the rising knee and then finish with the kick to the leg (either a takedown or knee break).
chef

Post by chef »

Hey Mike, how about meeting up and sharing knowledge? I will work with you on whatever Uechi kata and aspects you want to go over, and you can work with me on Shotokan stuff.

Deal?

Vick
Sochin

Post by Sochin »

Just in the transition between the last shuto and the low kick, there is the sweeping up with the right hand while holding the shuto of the left hand still until they meet and do a bit of a wave up and down together...

This is a perfect wrist lock, applied to a cross grab of your right hand.

The right hand comes up to the outside of the grabbers wrist while the left hand grips the grabbers fingers and hand and holds them strongly onto your wrist. Then press down on the lock until he crouches. The knee up and the low kick down now look quite different!
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Nice one Ted.

Vicki, sounds like a good deal. You going to Rich's class tomorrow?
chef

Post by chef »

Not sure, Mike. I am on a short leash these days. Are you still volunteering to take the pepper spray? Rich said he was still looking for a volunteer for it.

Vicki
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I had to punk out on the pepper spray demo. My wife and I are going out for a nice dinner that evening and she didn't want me peppered up. She's funny that way and I should have checked with her first. :lol:

I've been on the short leash for awhile myself but I'm hoping to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. We should have the kids all caught up on their religious ed at Easter.
George

Post by George »

I think of Bassai as one of the larger repositories of Bunkai techniques for both single and multiple person self defense. Because of my training in Ryute/Ryukyu Kempo I tend to move the mind of my attacker and the body follows right into the position in need to end the fight. If you didn't see what hit you your body tends to react more violently. lets take the backfist with Covering hand in the begining of the Kata . could be a Grapple move also could be a strike. Every move has multiple interpretations. Never fixate on move, look at every move as a letter in the alphabet and create your own sentences as the situation unfolds.
Regards

George
Ryute/Ryukyu Kempo

Return to “Focus on KATA”