Connection timeouts

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

miked

Connection timeouts

Post by miked »

Hey Anthony,

I have seen the 'bad day" movie wherein the user pounds his keyboard into submision and then knocks his monitor into oblivion. Right now, I understand those emotions. My Internet connection has been disconnected three times in the last five minutes for no apparent reason.

Here is the relevant information;
O/S: Win 95
RAM: 80mb
Processor: Pentium 120mhz
Browser: MSIE 4.71.1712
Dialer: WIN 95 Dial up Networking progam
Typical connection speed: 42.6
Modem: HSP K56
Com Port: 4
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Error Control: Compress Data
Flow Control: Hardware

So what changes do I have to make to my configuration to prevent these disconnections from happening?

Thanks for your assistance.

Mike

P.S. Is there any way you could add a spell checker to the posting screens?
Dakkon

Connection timeouts

Post by Dakkon »

Hi Mike,
Another question would be, Who is your ISP?
Some ISP's will randomly reset a modem pool and drop all the users on that bank. If it's a local ISP they could be having line troubles or the fore mentioned item. If it's a national i.e. Mindspring,ATT,MCI etc etc it could be a local P.O.P. thats having problems and needs to be reported to them so they can look into it. If on the other hand it's AOL thats another story... It's AOL and there is very little you can do.
Also check out http:\\www.56k.com
That site has some VERY useful info on modem and related problems.
Hope this is of some help
Dakkon
miked

Connection timeouts

Post by miked »

Hi,

Thanks for all of your assistance. Anthony, I only recently installed the modem and that is when I started to have problems. I never had this problem with my old 28.8 modem, so I thought the problem was associated with installation and configuration of the new modem.

Dakkon, my ISP is named artnet and is local to L.A. I have copied Anthony's info. and your message to a email message that I sent to my provider. Hopefully, they will be able to solve the problem.

I have one other question, I can never connect at faster that 42.6. Could this be due to line interference?

Thanks for your help.

Mike
miked

Connection timeouts

Post by miked »

Anthony,

I forwarded the information you gave me to my ISP tech support and they are checking it out for me. They seemed to be concerned about this problem so it must be affecting many of their users.

I installed a very cheap ($29) 56K internal modem known as a HSP K46 FLEX PNP MODEM.
I will let you know what my ISP comes up with.

You and DAKKON have been a great help. Thanks for the assist. If you are ever in L.A. give me a heads up. We'll be sure to get together for a great workout.

Mike

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”