Infection from a NakedWife -- Watch it!

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Better tiptoe thru the Tulips on this bud:

http://msn.zdnet.com/msn/zdnet/story/0%2C12461%2C2688521-hud00025hm3%2C00.html

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

That things bad!
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Bad, real bad. It only screws up the pc thru Outlook. After NakedWife emails itself out to everyone in your Outlook address book, it erases all your DLL, INI, EXE, BMP and COM files from your hard drive.

These little suckers get worse and worse all the time. The next major war is going to be won by computers, or rather the jamming of them.

------------------
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Got to love Lotus Notes more and more Image
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Well, Microsoft ALMOST rules the mailbag, but not with the virus community. Red Hat. What do I have for email on RedHat, Chuck?

------------------
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

I really need to swtich back to Eudora. I would have done it a long time ago except my girls are outlook express users and they won't want to tackle the learning curve. Chuck has the right idea, get away from Outlook.
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Hi Tony. It's good to have some backing on this nightmare. I've been harping that Outlook vs. Eudora tune for quite some time. Don't not take the leap because of my suggestions, but do take it before your computer gets destroyed.

Here's some virus food for the Linux curious as well as for the Linux Wanabies.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Viruses in Linux are relatively unheard of. In the Linux world, there has been only a handful of viruses, and none have been released recently. Because of the way Linux limits what each user on a system can do, Linux viruses have trouble spreading, and thus are more difficult to create. (For more information, check out Isn't it time to switch to Linux?
Again from pcsforeveryone dot com [not the only place I shop, rather the most well-endowed in the knowledge disbursement department.]They conduct a good "Do I want one?" section at
http://www.pcsforeveryone.com/linuxintro.html

Also, http://www.softpro.com has some EXCELLENT books on Linux in general, and on SuSE in particular.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited March 07, 2001).]
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

That's a great link Allen, thanks.
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

I'm doing my homework before I take the Linux plunge. Anything else I find pertinent to the movement I'll post.

------------------

BTW, Tony, you missed two days of glorious 4-wheeling fun and excitement in the snow. Wish you could have been here to engage your Jeep's front axle! It was great and even my youngest and I had a couple of tugs-of-war on the truck's keychain before they plowed out the parking lots.

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited March 07, 2001).]
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Guys...

Is the latest virus an attachment?

I still use Outlook, with norton 2000 and Zone alarm. Is my computer still at risk?

George
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

You'd better JibJab over to Microsoft's patch site in a hurry thru the link I provided in my topmost post, George. Firewalls take care of viruses, but worms come in as an innoculous attachments to email files which require innoculation.

------------------
Dakkon

Post by Dakkon »

Allen, when i get the <font color="red">RedHat</font> system running I'm going to use Kmail. It rings of Outlook and Eurdora combined.

Chuck
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Hi Chuck.

Hmmm... Appendix A.2 says you have to build the executable (make install) or are they using make as a commandline installer? If they deliver it in "C" source code for you to compile, it looks like you are going to have some fun.

What type of shell scripting does RedHat use?

------------------
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

I don't know much about compiling, but as long as the include libraries are in their default location you can just run "make". otherwise you have to specify the location in an argument.
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

make, like grep, lex, yacc, and many others are all great UNIX tools [lest I forget the infamous vi]. If one is going to get into a UNIX or UNIX-like environemnt, then one needs to learn how to use them, even if on a cursory level.

Do you know DOS and occasionally use a DOS box from inside a windows environment? If the answer is "YES" then the above paragraph is true. If you don't know anything about a "DOS box" than maybe a UNIX-like environment just isn't for you. ["you" meaning the reader of this post, Tony, not you the Tony]

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”