Downloading Videos for Better Viewing

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

iac1

Post by iac1 »

Hello,

The buffering of the videos makes viewing pretty rough. Is there a way to download them to my harddrive so they could be viewed without having to go through the buffer/play cycle?

Thanks,

Mike Herrmann
Alb, NM
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Hi Crazy Mike!

If I want to downoad a video to the local machine, what I do is right-click the mouse positioned over the link and then left click on "Save Target As..." using Internet Explorer. Maybe same thing using Netscape Navigator.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Unfortunately, you can't do that with the streamers. They will download the .asx file that links to the .asf file.

If you use media player 7.0, you can load it in and it will stay there. version 6.4 will not do this. You can load it in with 6.4 but it will re-download it to watch again.

You can though right click and save the mpegs. They are larger than the streamers and better quality. I know not all the videos offer mpegs. That was due to size. I may have them though if your modem is broadband.

Scott

------------------
VISIT:
Uechi-Ryu.Com Streaming Video & Audio
The Uechi-Ryu.Com Hotlist
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Lately, Scott, I think there is a problem on the video page [ http://www.abcisp.net/~gmattson/video/u_tech.html ]. When I do a left mouse-click on one of the titles, such as a number of choices made randomly the following in the [sample] I.E. Address line:

[ http://www.abcisp.net/~gmattson/video/finals2000_low.asx ]

a blank window, and nothing else. This is true of all selections I made this evening, therefore I think there is a bug crawling around on Harry's server, abcisp.net, in this area (Didn't he recently upgrade?)

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

P.S. It's 1:30 am so forgive the incoherent incohesive paragraphing, lack of ambition to fix them, and lack of a back-up graphic.

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited March 27, 2001).]
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

I've left a message for Harry regarding this problem. Must have something to do with the upgrade.

Thanks Allan.

------------------
GEM
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

It's working now whatever happened. I am playing a broadband clip as I type.

Sounds similar though to that weird bug we all saw about a week ago.

Scott

------------------
VISIT:
Uechi-Ryu.Com Streaming Video & Audio
The Uechi-Ryu.Com Hotlist
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Scott:
I was going to post the grappling seminar on the Calendar link and came up with an error message. Is this something you can fix? Also, is there enough room to spell out calendar? I'd like to see more people use this feature.

Bst
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

spell check doesn't seem to work.
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

I'll give the calendar a look see when I get back tonight from my Wednesday beating Image. I myself have only looked at it maybe twice in the past.

The spellchecker actually works through a 3rd party, not us. I notice too that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It just worked now.

Scott
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

For some reason, I cannot access the calander program. At first I went in via the ftp to look at the codes. Then when I went back to that directory, I couldn't get back in. Now I can't even view it through the main pages link. I never did anything either. Weird.

Maybe I can find a new calendar somewhere.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”