Eudora, O Sweet Eudora.

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Eudora, O Sweet Eudora.

Post by Allen M. »

The best emailer just gets better and better and better.

I purchased Eudora 5.x some time ago and only last weekend did I get around to installing it. I never cared much about filters because many spammers change their addresses, and many use indistinguishable addresses, cut from some random alphanumeric generator.

But I thought I'd play a little with this new release a little to see what it could do better than version 4.

I can't compare the filters against the two versions, but I can say the filter in 5x is slick.

I get a substantial volume of email every single day and it is hard to keep track of who's who sometimes [and always a pain in the axe as well]. Eudora allows one to construct a complex email filing system with ease, and I have created such a monster.

With Eudora's filters, one not only filters out the bad, but filters in the good as well. Here's what I mean:

For filtering out, right-click on the trash email and select filter. A number of easy-to-chose options expose themselves as to what can be done. Often it's the trash for the unwanteds.

The best part, however, is the filtering in. The monster I have built is for my varying interests which have sub-interests and sometimes sub-sub-interests. A mail slot for everything and everything has a mail slot. To continually place everything where it belongs is a time-consuming boring task to get over with as quick as can be.

I set the filter so that each piece of mail is automatically routed to a specified location. A pretty neat accomplishment in itself. Several other goodies sweeten this method. The first is that any path which contains an unread message is highlighted until the message is either read or is marked as having been read. At the most course levels, say Uechi, contract, music, computers, rags and mags, and much more, it is immediately apparent the major category that needs to be serviced [it is lit up in contrasting bold dark letters]. But what is even better than that, is that as the mail comes in and is routed, say today when I turned on the pc and over 50 pieces came flying in through the pipeline, most all were automatically sorted and stored in their respective mail slots, a screen appeared and in list fashion, indicated who came in and where it was placed. Everything but the trash.

Less than ten messages were routed to the in box. This prompted creating additional filtering for the next time something the same or similar is sent to be routed properly. Pretty soon, after this filter sieve works down to the finer levels, messages entering the in box should be far and few between.

Eudora does it right.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”