Code Red... "Bad... Very bad"

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

My backup computer, which runs win2000 professional operating system, contracted 2 versions of the code red virus.

Perhaps this is why I've been unable to access the main uechi-ryu.com site to do any editing.

Anyone have any info why FrontPage won't load a website after being affected by code red virus, even after it has been removed?

------------------
GEM
SyNexis

Post by SyNexis »

Hi;

You may wish to reload frontpage extensions on the server, I have had many troubles with these extensions working one day and not the next.

Mark
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

The extensions on Harry's server isn't the problem. I am able to load smaller web sites. When trying to load my home page (uechi-ryu.com), the program runs out of virtual memory after a long delay. I have adaquate v.m., so there is something else going on.

------------------
GEM
SyNexis

Post by SyNexis »

Hi;

What is the exact error you get when trying to load the page? I will search out MSKB and see what the Guru's at MS have to say.

Mark
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Sounds like a Front Page bug to me. Some of Microsoft products have lied in the past by issueing that error message, only thinking they were out of vm, but the results are the same.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Front Page needs another garbage collector. Sounds like it is a real hog for tieing up all your resources.

Do you have any more worms and viruses on your machine, George?

How much memory do you have? How much hd space is free? If not much, are your drives compacted?
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

65 meg of memory and about 10 gigs of harddrive space free. No viruses detected following the two code red attacks. There is no reason for FP to be acting this way.

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

64 megs of memory and running Windows 2000? I didn't know you could even load Windows 2000 with that little memory let alone run programs. 128 is Spartan minimum. I have to run a half-gig to do any kind of processing.

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

FrontPage loads smaller websites, but when I try to load the main page, it freezes while attempting to load. I went to the Task Mgr while this is going on and discovered that FP is using up all the considerable CPU and Memory, while going nowhere. The graph for memory shws a steady upward line, approaching 2,165,268k when I finally C/A/Delete and ended the task. (Showed that FrontPage was "not responding".

If I let FP continue to load, it would eventually use up the Virtual Memory and present me with an error message window.

I've uninstalled FP, installed it again and also used the "repair" feature of the program. Nothing works.

HELP>>>
OH yes... I've checked the "connection" window, and during all of this, very little is being received or sent.
------------------
GEM

[This message has been edited by gmattson (edited August 19, 2001).]
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

All my programs run fine. . . as a matter of fact. . . haven't had a lock-up or window crash since using win2000.

Perhaps memory is a problem for FrontPage though. I couldn't find any info on MS site on this.

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Isn't Windows 2000 slick?

Get more memory, George, your programs will run even finer.

128 and 256 meg sticks are cheap right now.

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Will do Allen. Where is the best place to purchase memory sticks? What computer info will I need to get the right memory?

------------------
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Although I was running out of memory, this isn't the problem. I purchased another 256meg of memory and installed it. Now it doesn't run out of memory. . . but CPU! As soon as I try to load the main uechi page, my cpu resources go to "0".

Again, I'm able to load and edit other sites... just the main one is giving me trouble.

BTW, Win2000 only requires 64 meg to run. I don't see any difference in performance with the extra memory.

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Right, 64 meg to run. Run what? Windows 2000.

Whenever you run applications of any size, you eat up memory. Look in services to see how many services are currently running to give you a start of what is currently in memory. When there isn't enough real memory in the system, the CPU starts caching to disk which is much, much slower. The more memory you have, the longer it will be before you start bogging things down by thrashing the hard drive. Think of more memory as a big fat buffer that you want to stay inside.

Have you installed service pack 1 yet? I'd hold back on service pack 2 because I read once that Microsoft can get their meat hooks into you if you install service pack 2.

I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what that means, whether they can monitor your pc or read the registry to find out if you have legally registered Microsoft products...

Something like that is supposed to be true for the latest version of Internet Explorer too. You need to read up on it because I'm no longer in the Microsoft world except for at home so I don't have the latest drum-beats from Ms.

<hr>

In terms of using up all your cpu, this could just be that Front Page is a hog. Other Microsoft products in the past have done the same thing, Word immediately comes to mind although I know they've fixed word.

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Installed service pack II. . .

As mentioned, added 256meg of memory. Although the task mgr shows pleanty of memory, the loading of the main website eats up 100% CPU. Don't understand this... If I have excess memory, why the 0 CPU?

Front Page locks up as soon as I begin the loading process. And again, I have been able to load, edit and publish smaller webs.

------------------
GEM

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”