IE Problem

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Scott Danziger

IE Problem

Post by Scott Danziger »

Got a weird one...

I can't view jpg's through the IE browser on my drive but I can on a server. When working on web pages, I have to upload them to the server to view any jpegs.

I had this before years ago but never figured out what it was. I am using IE6.0

Anybody got a clue?

Thanx,
Scott
Allen M.

IE Problem

Post by Allen M. »

Scott,

I'm all done moving forward [if that's what you want to call it] with Microsoft products ending with Windows 2000 and IE5.

Either it's the spite in me revolting against paying more, or just the lack of time to upgrade from something that is already working quite nicely, purring like a kitten.

I'm not going with the XP or IE6 gang unless I have to, and there's no need to, right now.

Presently all my development is on machines using Solaris, so for now I can't help.

I figured I'd answer anyway.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Allen M.

IE Problem

Post by Allen M. »

OOOHH. Grasping at straws; I mean really grasping at straws, but rename a jpg to jpeg and give it a try for the fun of it.

------------------
Arnie Elkins

IE Problem

Post by Arnie Elkins »

Hey Scott, no real help I'm afraid, just a similar situation. I have a Casio digital camera that builds web pages to view the pictures after you load them into the computer. After I 'upgraded' to IE 5.5, I could no longer see the pictures. Netscape 4.08 worked fine, as did IE 5.0. I upgraded to IE 6.0 just to see, and it didn't work either. Months later, after experiencing lots of other problems with the machine, I nuked it, started over, and reinstalled Win98SE. Using IE 5.0 again, things work fine. I won't be upgrading any more. There seems to be a known issue with displaying some pictures with versions of IE after 5.0, but I have not found a fix. Apparently something they changed in the post-IE 5.0 code made it no longer work with some web pages. I have noticed the problem on a few web sites as well, so it is not strictly a local vs. server type thing. Just as a thought, are there any spaces or other weird characters in your path to the pictures on your local drive? Could there be a difference in the path names on the server?

Arnie
Allen M.

IE Problem

Post by Allen M. »

I haven't checked, Arnie, but does MS offer service packs for the Internet Explorer family.

------------------
Dakkon

IE Problem

Post by Dakkon »

Like any good m$ product IE has "Service Packs" available. NOT like the SP's for NT or 2000 though.
I've seen the problem too and it's totaly random. Local or remote it will dsplay say 7 of 9 pics then when you rght click and choose show pic it does so. I've seen it on all M$ OS's and browser 5.5 or better.
Arnie Elkins

IE Problem

Post by Arnie Elkins »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allen M.:
I haven't checked, Arnie, but does MS offer service packs for the Internet Explorer family.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Only trouble is, they don't fix this particular problem. I tried every version of 5.5 or higher, without and then with service packs, no change. Unlike the experience someone else posted, I *never* got images to load on my digital camera pages with anything after IE 5.0, and I tried everything I could think of. Most annoying to break something that was working fine when you release a new version of software. People hammered Netscape for doing that with version 6 of their browser, but M$ does the same thing, and no one seems to care. Hmmm...
Allen M.

IE Problem

Post by Allen M. »

I [as well as all the developers I know] consider IE5 much more advanced, friendly, and TAME than Netscape later than 3.51. Nothing's perfect, but when AOL took over Netscape, it became Netscrape and hasn't worked good any place I've tried it.

I have never had a problem with I.E., but haven't tried 6.0.
Arnie Elkins

IE Problem

Post by Arnie Elkins »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allen M.:
I [as well as all the developers I know] consider IE5 much more advanced, friendly, and TAME than Netscape later than 3.51. Nothing's perfect, but when AOL took over Netscape, it became Netscrape and hasn't worked good any place I've tried it.

I have never had a problem with I.E., but haven't tried 6.0.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I must admit, these days IE works better for most things, because people write code expecting only IE. At any rate, the only real complaint I have now(as opposed to when I tried versions of IE earlier than 5.0) with IE is the fact that, in certain instances, code that worked flawlessly with 5.0 no longer works with 5.5 or 6.0. Microsoft has made huge strides since the early versions of IE. If they could make 5.5 and higher display images correctly all the time, I would be relatively happy.
Allen M.

IE Problem

Post by Allen M. »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
because people write code expecting only IE.
most commercial websites check for different browsers, but the last report I read was that IE controlled something like 95% of the market.

I discovered that IE handles CSS much better than "The Scrape." Not only that but IE utilizes more of the CSS implementation.

I used IE5.5 for a while without a hitch, but the last time I reloaded the master boot disk with Win2000 I used what came on the CD, probably it came with Visual c++ and never bothered to upgrade it from msn.com.

I've been frapping with these pcs since the days of the TRASH-80 and getting too old and too wise to fix something that's not broke.

------------------
ASA Admin

IE Problem

Post by ASA Admin »

Well this is not a fresh one - just today ie6 does not display most pics - we have been using it since it was released and now it is defunked - not a happy camper

has anyone come up with a solution yet ?? i have checked all my browser settings and internet options.

cheers
TSDguy

IE Problem

Post by TSDguy »

I've noticed this seems to happen with several versions of IE. What I do is use the 'open with' command instead of just double clicking... so you select the jpg, right click on it, open with, IE. Just something to try.
Allen M.

IE Problem

Post by Allen M. »

Happy as a Lark with IE over here; never a problem.

If one sets his security "High" then he may disallow things from happening.

--------------------

ASA, where did you notice the problem? Local on your PC or accessing a site?

------------------
Scott Danziger

IE Problem

Post by Scott Danziger »

My IE 6 works fine off of a server. It won't read jpg's from my hard drive. I had this problem before with I think IE4, not sure.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”