Deep Sea II -- Software Installation

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

<center><font color=green>Deep Sea II -- Software Installation</font></center>

Installing Visual C++ is straight forward and usually effortless when following directions in the box, only there wasn't any in the standard edition version I just purchased.

Lecture #2 will be officially posted Sunday at midnight on http://www.uechi-ryu.ws/c/ and is subject to modification/ upgrading/ proofreading at anytime before that. A pre-reading assignment for the next lecture and/or homework was also published at the end of the lecture.

Remember the above link may change after the server goes up on line again.

Lecture #3, already written, but needs to go through Adobe’s Acrobat-ic hoops is scheduled for posting by midnight Friday.
<hr>
ADDENDUM: This particular pdf file is huge, about 1.2 megabytes, and may take a while to open. Once opened it is fast to print.

I zipped it but attained only a 10% reduction in size, therefore abandoned that idea.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera<font color=white>

[This message has been edited by Deep Sea (edited December 01, 2001).]

Post by Guest »

Install went smooth,are we also supposted to install service pack 4 or is that down the road?

What a huge program glad I cleaned up the hard drive. Excellent instructions Allen!

Laird
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Laird, Please install service pak 4 at your earliest convenience. It is self-running so should autoinstall.

Did you install MSDN? Lots of stuff there. A lot not needed, but whenever I selectively install only what I think I will need the message to insert the CD so that it can search the database pops up, so not I just load it all.

Glad you scrubbed your hard drive too. Image

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

Post by Guest »

Allen,I did load Msdn,lots of room.

However service pack 4 will not install.

The Error Message tells me I require MDAC 2.5 or greater to install .

Microsoft free downloads offer http://www.microsoft.com/data/download/htm

MDAC 2.7 RTM
MDAC 2.6 SP1
MDAC 2.6 Software Developers Kit
MDAC 2.6 RTM
MDAC 2.5 SP1
MDAC 2.5 RTM (2.50.4403.12)

The last one looks most promising.

I,m running Windows 98.

What download am I looking for?

Laird

[This message has been edited by uglyelk (edited December 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by uglyelk (edited December 01, 2001).]
Arnie Elkins

Post by Arnie Elkins »

No problems installing the software or MSDN. However, when I attempt to do the NT symbol setup(on my XP machine and on Brandy's 2000 machine), I get an error message 'Some of the symbol files could not be located in the input directory. Do you want to continue?'. If I say Yes, it attempts to go on, and starts getting those 'The version of the file XXXXX does not match the corresponding dll on your machine' messages you mention in the lecture notes. Is this going to be a problem? I haven't tried to continue past this yet, as I thought initially it was a problem because I was using XP, but then when Brandy tried it on her 2000 machine, we got the same thing. Should we just complete the procedure anyway?

Arnie
Arnie Elkins

Post by Arnie Elkins »

My software was purchased at auction, and so is not the latest version. No problem, I downloaded and installed Service Pack 5, so the software is up to date. However, the version of MSDN that came in the box is from 1998. Will I be okay with that?

Arnie
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Laird <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
…service pack 4 will not install. … MDAC 2.5 or greater to … The last one looks most promising.
Yes, the last one, MDAC 2.7 RTM, looks good. The one at the bottom of the list is version 2.5 -- the oldest -- and with that is a service pack, SP1, which you need to run afterwards as well. If you select 2.7, the latest one, with fingers crossed you should be ok. One should always load the service packs. They often fix bugs and/or minor inconveniences. The product may work ok on your system without the SP. However, I expect the possibility weird things to happen to Visual C++, not the operating system, when you start to debug your applications without the latest, or near latest SP installed. I prefer you to go ahead and follow through with the installation. You might want to make sure important data is backed up first. 99.99% no problem. It is the 0.01% to think about.

<hr>
Arnie: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
when I attempt to do the NT symbol setup(on my XP machine and on Brandy's 2000 machine), I get an error message 'Some of the symbol files could not be located in the input directory. Do you want to continue?'. If I say Yes,
Yes is the correct response.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
'The version of the file XXXXX does not match the corresponding dll on your machine' messages you mention in the lecture notes. Is this going to be a problem?
Could be a problem if you let the older dlls overwrite the newer ones, but I’m not sure because you may never use some of the dlls that it wants to override– I always go the safer route without problems as newer dlls may have new “stuff” in them and possibly bug repairs as well.

I haven't tried to continue past this yet, as I thought initially it was a problem because I was using XP, but then when Brandy tried it on her 2000 machine, we got the same thing. Should we just complete the procedure anyway?
Definitely!
After you answer yes to continue, the percent-of-installed-files dialog box cranks along putting dlls with new names onto your system which is ok. For every dll with the same name it encounters, only a handful of them, the progress bar stops and asks you if you want to copy it. Answer no each time you are presented with that particular query.

If you accidentally answer yes to any, you most likely will still be alright. Then, the astute process to follow if you need a return of the warm and fuzzies is to reload the latest service pack of the operating system from the Microsoft website. When you do so, it is smart enough to determine which dlls, if any, are no longer up to snuff.
Older…MSDN…ok?
The set of MSDN disks which came with Version 6 is ok. You don’t need a service pack for them. I’ll try to whip out a mini-lesson on this one before the weekend is out and announce when ready.

------------------

Post by Guest »

Thanks Allen, down loaded 2.7 and service pack four loaded no problem.

Thru a short cut on the desktop and perused software. Just taking a wee peek at it Image.

explored the tools and managed to find a few strange things.

1. mscreate, this program is acrobat 4. I already have 5 running on the system. When I click on this tool I get the following error message: There was an error opening this document. A file read error has occurred.

I suspect I have a few old corrupt acrobat files which I will hunt down and delete. Is this message also taking issue with more than one version of the reader on the system?

2. When I open the zoom in tool I get the following message:

Zoom in caused a general protection fault in module MACXW4.DRV . I suspect this may be a result of nothing to zoom in on . Just thought I'd let you know incase it is a problem.

Sorry too bother you with this but I had to explore and then I started wondering if there may be some bugs in my system I might need to fix.

Laird

[This message has been edited by uglyelk (edited December 02, 2001).]
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I wonder if there is a service pack for Windows 98, and if there is would it correct the difficulties you are having.

Whenever I use the zoom tool positioned anywhere over any pdf document, the document either grows larger or shrinks. A gpf is frequently indicative of a video driver problem. Most video card manufacturers provide updated drivers on their websites.

------------------
Arnie Elkins

Post by Arnie Elkins »

Hey Laird, I don't see any 'mscreate' in my Visual C++ Tools folder. Where do you find that? I have a Win98 box, as well as a WinXP box I am toying with, and I don't see it on either one.

As for the 'zoomin' program, I have to agree with Allen sensei. Video drivers are notorious for causing problems in Windoze. See if you can find later drivers for whatever video card you are using.

Arnie

Post by Guest »

Arnie,I believe the extra tool is not supposed to be there.

It was not in the list under programs,just appeared when I created a short cut.

mscreate was a corrupt acrobat reader 4.0,I have deleted and reinstalled 5.0.

Low and behold no extra icon when I created the short cut this time. Image

The video driver,I'll save for the morning ,worked out for four hours after super,mostly Sanchin,mostly power focused,I'm beat. But happy Image

Thanks for the advice!

Laird

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”