Lecture IX. -- Structuredly Looping into Stringy Arrays

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

<center><font color=green>Lecture IX. -- Structuredly Looping into Stringy Arrays</font>
</center>

Lecture IX has been emailed to those requesting more.

Remember the checkbook application? The braver cyber students can start applying the lessons learned from this lecture and the previous one to start fleshing-out the checkbook framework I emailed to everyone near the start of the course and start asking questions (in this forum is the first choice).

Christmas is coming fast, so I'll try to slow down and not present anything new until after the big day. However I've started Lecture X and will be around in this forum to entertain questions and solve problems.

C-ya Image

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I just can't keep ahead of some of youse guys who are constantly bighting at my heels for me show more -- So here's some heads up for those who wish to get ahead a little and turn tough steak into a piece of cake:

I'm going to split the shapes project into several files on the next installment; it's time to do so. All writing to and reading from the screen will be handled in one separate code file called "screenIO.cpp" for [whast else?] doing screen Input and Output. Write the corresponding header file with include guard as well. There will be two routines with public interfaces to start off with, and more as the lectures progress. Name them

void setScreen( const char* const screenDataStrg );

and

char getScreen();

Later the same thing will most likely happen for DiskIO.

Why such small module files? The answers are multi-fold.

1) You will be able to call them directly from the checkbook program without modification, saving you from having to re-invent the wheel to do the same job.

2) I'm setting you up for C++. My methods will subtly and succinctly secretly erase some C++ mysteries behind the scenes by the time we reach that part of this course, mysteries which have been known to sink students who weren't poorly prepared.

Those are only two answers. I hope they sufficiently satisfy some of your curiosities. Image

Lecture X won't happen today but hopefully sometime tomorrow. Look at K&R Sections 1.5 (not the subsections), 1.6, 1.7,1.8,1.9, 5.7, and especially 5.8, because we have already entered into some of that space and that's where we are going in the next few lectures. I don't expect you to understand how to use those tools until the lectures takes you there, but study and you can ask questions anytime on those sections in the forums.

That's it, C-ya

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”