Got a Computer Virus!

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by gmattson »

Sorry if you got a message or two from me, containing a virus.

Not sure how it got into my computer. I don't open attachments that are not expected and my AVG virus software program destroys everything it detects.

Apparently, something got into my computer before AVG was aware of it and I had no way of knowing it was there. The AVG program is supposed to update itself automatically, but for some reason didn't. (Perhaps the virus blocked it it some way) Anyway, Sunday I manually updated the program and ran a computer check. AVG detected it and deleted it.

Again, sorry for any infected e-mail. Be sure to manually update your virus software and be sure to do a computer check. I've been getting between 10-25 virus e-mail a day. Apparently there are quite a few infected computers out there that have my email address!

------------------
GEM
CANDANeh

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by CANDANeh »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Warning: Because we require email verification, if you change your email address, a new password
will be created for you and emailed to the new email address you list. Thus, do not change your email
address unless you can retrieve email from it to get your new password.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not a virus in my case, just messed up after changing servers..wouldn`t except me as "candan" no more so just added the great Canadian "eh" same guy different handle
Tony-San

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Tony-San »

George,

did it happen to be in your temporary internet files folder?
gmattson
Site Admin

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by gmattson »

Not sure Tony. AVI deleted it, once I updated the program. Not even sure what it was called.

------------------
GEM
Tony-San

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Tony-San »

Is it in the Virus Vault?
gmattson
Site Admin

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by gmattson »

No Tony, it was deleted.

------------------
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by gmattson »

This e-mail from Gordi Breyette clears up this mystery:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Dear Mattson Sensei,

Hello from Nagahama, I hope all is well with you and yours!

Lately, I and several others here have been receiving e-mails with apparently no text, etc. Normally I simply delete these without opening -- I right-click the mouse over the message and select "options", then check the "optioons" selection. Scrolling down to the "internet headers" section of that box, near the end I see "type". If it reads "text" I will open the message -- usually a virus will have to be attached as an .exe, ,pif, ,bat, etc. and these messages don't have such an attachment. But if uit reads "mixed/html" and a bit more, I delete it. It could be a virus sending itself AS the message, not WITH a message.

Anyway, a few messages came back to me as "undeliverable" -- even though I didn't send any such mesage. This lead me to believe I was inadvertently sending a virus, as you thought you were. Instead, I and some others are the victems of "spoof mailing" through somone else's computer. This is wehy Norton (which I use and update almost daily now" does not detect virus activity in my computer -- I don;t have a virus. But is seems to others that p[erhaps I do, and am sending it out.

Here is a text found on Norton's "Symantics Security Response" site, regarding variants of the "klez" virus. I thought you might find it interesting:

Email spoofing

Some variants of this worm use a technique known as "spoofing." If so, the worm randomly selects an address that it finds on an infected computer. It uses this address as the "From" address that it uses when it performs its mass-mailing routine. Numerous cases have been reported in which users of uninfected computers received complaints that they sent an infected message to someone else.

For example, Linda Anderson is using a computer that is infected with W32.Klez.E@mm; Linda is not using an antivirus program or does not have current virus definitions. When W32.Klez.gen@mm performs its emailing routine, it finds the email address of Harold Logan. It inserts Harold's email address into the "From" portion of an infected message that it then sends to Janet Bishop. Janet then contacts Harold and complains that he sent her an infected message, but when Harold scans his computer, Norton AntiVirus does not find anything--as would be expected--because his computer is not infected.

If you are using a current version of Norton AntiVirus and you have the most recent virus definitions, and a full system scan with Norton AntiVirus set to scan all files does not find anything, you can be confident that your computer is not infected with this worm.

Regards,

Gordi <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill Glasheen

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Ahh...this explains it.

Phantom e-mails (a virus??)

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Bill Glasheen »

So... Could it be the same person that has Gordi and George and myself and Dana in their e-mail address book? Hmmm... who might that be???

- Bill
Deep Sea

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Deep Sea »

There are several varieties of Klez. This week alone, I received email with viruses/ worms attempting to infect my pc. Right now it's really going around bad; notices have been up at work about that dude, he is especially nasty.

Fortunately Norton detects everything so far. I don't know why anyone tied to the internet would not have protection; it's absurd these days not to have any.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Tony-San

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Tony-San »

Post mail headers!
Van Canna

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Van Canna »

What gives? Getting virus mail almost daily.

Thank God for Norton that zaps them dead.

Outlook's preview pane is a conductor without my opening of any attachment, it seems.

What is the safe way to set up outlook?

------------------
Van Canna
Tony-San

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Tony-San »

I thought I shut that off while I was there?

Go under view-->layout and UNCHECK "veiw preview pane".

Van, forward me one of those emails please. I want to look at the header.
Van Canna

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Van Canna »

Tony,

Thanks , will do. But unfortunately I have deleted those messages. Will send you the next one though. Image

------------------
Van Canna
Tony-San

Got a Computer Virus!

Post by Tony-San »

I'm not getting any because Yahoo! hosts my smtp server and they blow it away at the server level. I very rarely get Virii because of this. Alot of the problem with Viruses spreading is poor administration at the ISP level. Road Runner here in Central Florida does a good job with Mail and News as well. Seriously, if you're getting killed with Viruses, you REALLY need to complain to your ISP. They are supposed to be staying on top of this crap. It's not like they don't know this goddamn thing is spreading around.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”