non-MA benefits of training (E.g. stress relief)

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

non-MA benefits of training (E.g. stress relief)

Post by Shana Moore »

I recently interviewed for a better position where I work, and I was asked "How do you deal with stress?". My immediate answer was that I had been training in a form of Karate for the last year, and I found that was very helpful in dealing with stress.

It was only after I recognized the shocked 8O looks of the interviewers that I realized I needed to clarify that MA teaches mental and physical discipline and redirection, and I had applied that to my work stress. :roll: :lol: I further clarified that I did not go to training and take out the day on my classmates! :oops:

This made me curious. How many of you find ways to relieve stress and discipline in MA training that helps you in non-martial situations?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

Amen, sister, to that.

Three ways I can best deal with incredible stress:

- I can cry my eyes out (it's okay for women and men to do that)
- I can weight lift until I drop.
- I can do a great karate work out.

Of course, my favorite two are the weight-lifting and the karate. It is really funny, when I haven't been working out, I get so edgy that my husband tells me "you need to go work out".

Once you are in the zone, all the troubles, all the aggravations just seem to be forgotten and dissipate.

I love it....and I hate to cry.

Regards,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Become more blunt and assertive.

Ive learned how to exercise and work out.

Can focus more.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Discipline helped me immensely. Now when I get mad at people, the furthest thing from my mind is beating the crap out of them. I mean, I do THAT for FUN!
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Nice to hear I'm not alone! I also find it interesting the difference in male/female responses.

Vicky, I HATE to cry to when I'm angry or upset...I know it's very cathartic, but it sometimes feels like weakness. I've noticed that the discipline that I've started to learn in Karate helps me better control that response as well....wellllll....maybe not as much with all the pregger hormones floating, but I do have more control over it, and that helps.

I find that I get edgy when I don't work out as well...even if it's just a little bit..funny how your body gets addicted to those little endorphins and adrenaline rushes! 8)
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

I know in my own practice of martial arts of their theraputic value.
We are all individuals and we carry our own unique stress package with us ,this is usually pretty deep ,or ingrained to various depths .
We can bring relief to this stress package ,and even get rid of it in some cases ,yet M.A's bring their own stress too ,its not always fun .
Martial arts are meant to be studied ,so you will get some stress ,your practice will sway more mental at times ,too much book study not enough actual practice ,a balance will bring relief .

It does not hurt from time to time to evaluate if your practice is making you a more healthy person or there is increased stress in your personal life .
max ainley

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”