Chest & Breast Protection During Karate

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

chernon

Chest & Breast Protection During Karate

Post by chernon »

Are there other women and men out there who find the available chest protection equipment unsatisfying? The bulky, flat, chest pads that many karateka use in sparring do not exactly fit some women very well. To be honest, I don't think they fit large men very well either. I think the equipment available for average-sized women and men is likely adequate, but the equipment available for larger breasted women, and larger men is *not* adequate. I've lost a significant amount of weight since starting karate, and I am aspiring to one day fit into protective gear. It seems silly that my size and shape do not prevent me from participating, from being athletic, from being promoted, but do prevent me from being as safe as some of my peers. I've taken a few solid punches and kicks to the chest, and I think it was unpleasant for both myself and my uke alike.

I think Turtle Shells are great, and they are almost the right size, but offer minimal protection.
The firm/flexible plastic Barbie-doll-esque protectors are absolutely ridiculous, and clearly not designed by a woman. The women's boxing protection appears adequate, but never comes in larger sizes. The classic blue-red dot chest protectors do not accommodate larger breasts or larger chest diameter in men or women. (images below)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Attachments
Barbie-esque 2.jpg
Barbie-esque 2.jpg (13.75 KiB) Viewed 9971 times
Boxing style.jpg
Boxing style.jpg (32.25 KiB) Viewed 9971 times
Flexible Plastic Barbie-esque model.jpg
Flexible Plastic Barbie-esque model.jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 9971 times
KentuckyUechi

Re: Chest & Breast Protection During Karate

Post by KentuckyUechi »

Great topic. Not sure what the answer is. I don't really bring up the chest protection issue with my female students. But, I've sometimes wondered if I should suggest it just as I suggest groin protection for the guys. I do give them access to my supply catalogs, and let them know, I can order any equipment they need. :|
Everything in Moderation
barrychen

Re: Chest & Breast Protection During Karate

Post by barrychen »

sorry for interrupting this topic i just saw the protection gear and its very interesting it looks like very duarble...this is really great protection for the woman..

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”