The Wauke: Forward vs. Backward

Moderator: Available

MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I agree Tony about that second shot getting off. More than the initial backup why have the defender cross back over? You are already 1/2 way home on that first move and for some reason you give up position to go after attack number 2. Both GEM's and Rick's videos show what I think are smarter responses.

So I'm starting a sub-group in the contraversy, The keep the back step loss the cross over dogma pile..

No video of the match which was friendly anyway. The boxer is also a karate man so he knows about Aikido. The Aikidoka ate a few light jabs at first but learned to keep back. Once they got rolling it was all about the footwork and both having a real good laugh. Aikido man trying to get to the side and back of boxer boy, boxer boy fading back and circling throwing jabs and straights.
I was dreaming of the past...
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Tony you and I seem to be failing to communicate.

I have said constantly that an absorption back (one movement) just as George describes is indeed in the kata.

I have also said that while it is there it is not the major movement (simply count the forward movement and count the number of times you slide or step back --no contest.)

You have pointed out places where there is one movment back. While I differ in some of the spots that is just an individual interpretation thing. I do not AND NEVER HAVE disagreed with that.

What I have refered to as a poor strategy is constant backing up (more than one movement back.)

My interpretation of your continued disagreement with me on this point was that you believe continued backing up (more than onestep) existed in the Kata. Or at least that is how I interpreted your argument with my point to be.

None of the places you referred to have more than one movement backwards.

So do we agree it is not in the kata or can you refer me to an example of TWO OR MORE movements backwards in asequence???

Hey Tony maybe we actually agree. What a kick that would be. :D

"there really shouldn't even be a 2nd shot." HECK WE DO AGREE!!!!!

Post by Guest »

Rick Wilson wrote:So do we agree it is not in the kata or can you refer me to an example of TWO OR MORE movements backwards in asequence???
Ok, it two is a charm then look at Konchin ONE MORE TIME! Right after the fishtails, you step BACK throw a Zen Suko Geri, the VERY NEXT MOVE is ANOTHER STEP BACK! That is TWO in a row!!!! Back steping in Kata 90+90=180 degrees! There are enough consecutive backsteps in one small section of kata to add up to 180 degrees! What does this mean??? Are we fighting Ninjas (doing bankai in kata) here or is there an essence to this sequence that we can apply to numerous bankai (like getting out of the ring corner)? I realize why you do not want to attach any significance to this but if you want to argue it, I will continue.

By the way, i'm glad we agree on something here... the attacks need work..
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Tony, when you were in the military did they teach you any knife fighting? Ever see how the green hats hold their blades in the reverse hand angled so it's hard to see? If you're lucky and you see that all of a sudden backing up while doing a wa-uke is very natural and intuitive. And you'll back up more than two steps. :lol:
I was dreaming of the past...

Post by Guest »

No Mike, I was in the Air Force.. my unit (5th Mob) specialized in Escape and Evasion tactics (Yeah, we practiced "withdrawal" quite a bit). Security for our teams was usually provided by special forces, Airbourne Rangers... etc..if we got overrun, our task was to either provide a last stand or blow our equipment and meet at a designated LZ somewhere... we learned alot of survival skills and some guerilla warefare tactics (because we would alwasy be outnumbered) but no nasty stuff. I got some great knife training for a Uechika actually... David Moy. I've even got some video of Me and Him doing some drills. I'll see if I can find it and rip it this weekend sometime..

thats true though.... and a really good point... buying time when someones got a knife on you by backing up is a smart thing to do... maybe not uechi but definatley smart. You can also pack a .45 like I do just in case you get tossed into an "End Game". :D

Hey Benz... it's a good thing I know a little karate too eh? hah hah
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

HA HA Tony lets see if you can stretch the truth even farther if you go 90 degrees 90 degrees 90 degrees 90 degrees have you gone forward or back or in a circle or what. no they are not two steps back beside while I was studying Konchin we did it the Uechi Kanei Sensei way which does not step back the first time so now what. No turn step back and turn and face another direction is not two steps back.

It doesn't exist Tony no matter how much you want to believe it does.

But it doesn't mean you cannot do it and heck it doesn't mean it isn't your Uechi but it is not in the Kata and I get to say it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up. And I mean that in a good way.

Return to “Kihon (basic training drills)”