Stop it !!!

Moderator: Available

Kroh

Stop it !!!

Post by Kroh »

Hello there All....
In class lately where I train, we have been paying particular attention to the the stop kick. In essence, the drill that we are working on is taking one of our legs and thrusting it against our opponent's thigh to stop him in his tracks as he is trying to move forward to introduce us to one of his techniques.

Just wondering what if any techniques other systems have to accomplish the same affect?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the minute...

------------------
fight the good fight
Akil Todd Harvey

Post by Akil Todd Harvey »

Kroh,

Never heard of this term before, but Sensei Campbell is one that taught me how to modify a uechi kick to act as "stopping" kick. If someone is generating forward momentum, in essence, commiting to an attack, you ought to be able to stop their forward motion by jamming it with a kick before they have gotten a chance to develop significant motion (momentum).

This has to be done early in their step, so your timing would need to be explosive as well. As taught by sensei Campbell, a block is executed on the lead attacking limb (usually arm/fist) simultaneous to a kick to the hip joint, just above the thigh. the side heel - outside edge - of the foot goes along the seam of the thigh and pelvis.

applying this kick as they come in on you will not only stop them in their tracks, but will also cause them to keel over/crumple forward as you have stopped their forward motion at the hip, but the rest of the body continues to move forward for some distance, folding the proevious upright attacker into a crumpled over Bg ready for further treatment of elbows and knees as he crumples in front of you......that's the theory......Have used a stopping kick in sparring a few times, never on the street (partly or mostly cuz I am trying to avoid most of the on street altercations)....

Peace,

ATH
Seek knowledge from cradle to grave
Raffi Derderian

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Akil,
Nice to see the posts on this forum.
Kroh is actually one of my students here in RI. He is referrring to a JKD technique call Jik Tek or "stop kick". It is a major concept in the fighting method of Jun Fan Gung Fu/JKD. Jeet Kune Do translated means "the way of the intercepting fist" or in this case foot. If you block with your arms, against a punch, as you say Campbell Sensei taught you, it is not a stop kick in the true sense. It is a fine techinque of course, just not a stop kick. The stop kick literally hits the closest target which in this case would be the knee, or for training, the thigh. The attacker is coming in to punch you and is stopped by you without a block but with the kick to the leg. A very effective technique for sparring as well.
I have taught this technique at seminars and while traditional students tend to get the kicking part okay, the tend to lose the follow up which is equally as important. After the kick you must maintain "forward pressure" on your opponent. In other words you maintain a flow of techniques depending on their reaction to the kick. The flow may involve more kicking or hand techniques, or grappling. That is where many traditional people get gummed up. They don't know what to do when they can do anything they want!
Thanks for the comments sir.
Raf
emattson

Re: Stop it !!!

Post by emattson »

Some martial artists may call this the foot block. With my legs being a lot stronger than arms, I felt that a block kick can throw a more devastating force while stopping the bad guy than hands alone. The trouble is a person is always balanced standing on one foot when delivering a kick, making him more vulnerable in being thrown off balanced. I remember seeing a Uechi-Ryu techniques in using crossed arms to grab a kicked leg, gaining full control over the poor opponent hopping on one foot. Don't remember the technique's name.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Kihon (basic training drills)”