And Now....Kadena Kumite

Moe Mensale

And Now....Kadena Kumite

Post by Moe Mensale »

Since we had so much fun with Okikukai Yakusoku Kumite, and not wanting to slight any of our bretheren, the following is from the Kenyukai group (the Shinjo family). This comes from a tape of one of their tournements several years ago. It was performed by Narahiro Shinjo and Peter Kellogg and most definitely presents the Shinjo family mindset!

Okikukai, Shoheiryu, Kenyukai, Paingainoon....

It's all Uechi Ryu to me!

Moe Mensale

KADENA KUMITE

1 - Both in L sanchin.
A - Steps forward into R sanchin and throws a R lunge punch.
D - Slide steps to the left rear and does a L down block followed by a R vertical nukite to the throat.

2 - Both in L sanchin.
A - Steps forward into L sanchin and throws a L lunge punch.
D - Steps back into R sanchin and does a R circle block.
D - Steps back into L sanchin and does a L circle block followed by a L front kick.

3 - Both in L sanchin. D maintains L sanchin for entire sequence.
A - Slide steps forward into L sanchin and throws a R reverse punch.
D - Slide steps back and does a L circle block.
A - Throws a R front kick ending up in R sanchin.
D - Slide steps back and does a L down block.
A - Throws a L roundhouse kick ending up in L sanchin.
D - Slide steps back and does a R "X" block.
A - Maintains position and throws a R reverse punch.
D - Maintains position and does a L circle block followed by a R boshiken to the throat.

4 - A in R sanchin. D maintains L sanchin for entire sequence.
A - Throws a L front kick ending up in L sanchin.
D - Slide steps back and off to the right and does a L down block.
A - Throws a R reverse punch followed by a R front kick.
D - Moves laterally to the left and does a L palm heel block and controls the arm followed by a R outside shoken scooping block capturing the A's right leg.
D - Maintaining control of the A's right arm and leg, D pulls the right arm down and around while pushing the right leg upward, taking the A down.
D - Finishes with a R shoken punch to the body.

5 - Both in L sanchin.
D - Slide steps forward and to the A's right side, checks the punch with the L hand and throws a R boshiken to the solar plexus.
D - Continues with a R side kick to the back of the A's right knee causing A to go down on R knee and turning slightly to the left. D is now angled behind the A.
D - Continues with a L roundhouse kick to the back/side of A's head which A blocks with a L forearm block.
D - In L sanchin, grabs A's collar with the L hand and throws a R shoken punch to the back of the neck.

6 - Both in L sanchin.
A - Throws a R front kick ending up in R sanchin.
D - Slide steps back and does a L down block.
A - Throws a L front kick ending up in L sanchin.
D - Slide steps back and to the right and does a strong L outside down block causing the A to turn slightly to his right.
D - Jumps forward in the L sanchin position and delivers a L side kick to the back of the A's left knee causing the leg to go out from under him and taking him down. As A falls, D grabs his collar with the L hand and throws a R shoken punch to the back of the neck.

7 - A in L sanchin (holding 2X2 pole). D in R sanchin.
A - Slide steps forward and swings pole at D's R leg (inside calf).
D - Steps back into L sanchin.
A - Slide steps forward and swings pole at D's L leg (outside calf).
D - Draws L leg up into shin block position causing pole to break upon impact.
D - Drops L leg down into L sanchin, reaches out with his L hand to control the A's L arm and throws a R seiken punch to the face.

[This message has been edited by Moe Mensale (edited 04-09-99).]
Bill Glasheen

And Now....Kadena Kumite

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Moe

Thanks for the writeup. I saw Rik Lostrito and Rob Eisenberg perform it at one of our mid-Atlantic regionals. Thanks for putting it down in print.

I have some general comments and a question:

1 - New, but very basic Uechi concept.

2 - Hybrid of Kyu Kumite #1 and #3.

3 - Kyu Kumite #5 with a different ending.

4 - Last part is a resurrection of a "dropped" technique of Seisan Bunaki

5 - New, brutal, classic Uechiryu. I love it!

6 - Same idea as 5, but applied at a different angle.

7 - An opportunity to show off your ashikitae, no? By the way, are these swings to the inside or outside of the legs? Makes a big difference!

Bill
Moe Mensale

And Now....Kadena Kumite

Post by Moe Mensale »

Hi Bill,

Techniques 1, 2 and 3 are basic uechi moves we all know with a little added emphasis of throat strikes.

#4 is also basic uechi, although I'm not familiar with the "dropped" technique from Seisan bunkai. The takedown is fairly straight forward and involves a slight turn of the defender's body as he drops the assailant. Make sure to maintain control of the assailant's right arm during the takedown otherwise he will smack dab the floor real hard!

#5 & #6 - don't ya just love it!! This is not marshmallow prearranged kumite! The assailant really gets his clock cleaned in these two.

#7 - absolutely! I corrected the sequence to reflect the proper areas of the leg to attack.

This kumite really shows the emphasis the Shinjo's place on power, conditioning and complete domination of the assailant.

I would not want to have Kyohide Shinjo's leg coming at my head in #5!!

Moe Mensale
Bill Glasheen

And Now....Kadena Kumite

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Moe

Trust me - number 4 is not original. Like more than a few of us "renegades" in the Uechi community, Shinjo-sensei resurrected something that was dropped from previous versions of kumite and bunkai because nobody could make it work right. We still do the original sequence in my dojo in seisan bunkai.

In the old seisan bunkai, there was a technique done after the three sanchin thrusts (to the east, south, then north. A lot of people couldn't "relate" to the technique, or make it work properly. I will explain how I do it today. How you visualize and apply the basic techniques makes all the difference in the world.

a) Attacker and defender face each other in left sanchin.

b) Attacker does sliding step and right reverse punch (a very common and natural attack). Defender performs left inside circle block. At the end of the left circle block, defender grabs the attacker's right arm, creating an instant dillemma for the attacker.

c) Attacker responds to the sense of impending doom by trying to break loose. The way he/she does this is to try to do a right foot stomp on the trunk of the grabbing defender. Defender responds by making a short, forward diagonal step to the left (getting out of the path of the front kick) and simultaneously doing an outside scoop block. Defender is now holding attacker by right arm and right leg.

The link to kata and bunkai is in the way this is done. If the defender keeps both elbows in the proper position during the execution of the techniques (the same position in front of the ribs in sanchin as you do in the kata with the three sanchin thrusts and accompanying turns), then the attacker's center is now automatically broken.

d) At this point, defender steps forward and does an infinitessimal movement forward with the right arm (like one tenth of the travel of a sanchin thrust). Attacker will automatically start falling back and to the defender's left. At the end of the step, defender rotates around and down to left, and pins the attacker's pelvic bone down on floor with right knee (after unhooking the right arm) while still holding onto the attacker's right arm with left grip. If sanchin posture is maintained, one can put the attacker down slowly like putting a baby down in a cradle. With pelvis still tucked under, defender bends forward at upper waist (like the previous move in seisan), chambers right hand, and thursts down towards attacker's right ribs.

ALTERNATIVE TO PART D:

Instead of stepping forward and rotating counterclockwise/down, step back and rotate counterclockwise. One is briefly holding the attacker like a baby while in left sanchin. Then just drop down onto the right knee and drop attacker's back right onto your left knee. Obviously you do this slowly, and only as a demo with two highly-trained individuals.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 04-09-99).]
Moe Mensale

And Now....Kadena Kumite

Post by Moe Mensale »

Hi Bill,

Was the technique you are describing replaced by the three nukites or was it in between the three sanchin strikes and the three nukite strikes?

I am having a bit of difficulty visualizing where and how the technique fits into the kata. The application is fine, however.

Moe Mensale
JOHN THURSTON

And Now....Kadena Kumite

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Moe and Sensei Bill et al:

Thanks for Sharing.

Have heard about the Kenyukai Kumite But have not managed to get an eyeball on it.

JOHN

------------------
Bill Glasheen

And Now....Kadena Kumite

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Moe

The sequence I described is the interpretation of the three sanchin thrusts just after the knee/triple-shoken and just before the three block/nukites. It was removed and - to my knowledge - was not replaced with anything. Everything else was left "as is".

You do have an interesting observation though. It does look like it could be an interpretation of the block/nukite. But that present-day, separate sequence was already in (and done after this dropped sequence).

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 04-13-99).]

Return to “Kyohon - Kumite (K-drills to Full Contact)”