Escapes from the side mount...

Dukie

Post by Dukie »

I am so sick of being stuck in the side mount. Can somebody, anybody, please give me an escape and the counters I need to look out for with the side mount. It seems to be my biggest obstacle right now. Ugh...

Laura
(LAC)
Malcolm Wagner

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Hi Laura,

Depending on how high his side mount is, you might try a frame or bridge. It involves putting your forearm into the side of the opponents neck, then reinforcing your wrist with your other hand and pushing his head as far back as possible, then if your abdomen is strong enough you should be able to hook his head with your legs and pull him off of his side-mount.

It also works sometimes to hook your ankle around his waist and hip-swivel around to his back. This is not so easy if he has a good split-base working and is holding you down well.

Try them and let me know.

Mal
J. Bellone

Post by J. Bellone »

Hi Laura,
The 'escape' will be dependent on how the person is holding you down in side control.
Your escape will be based on where their hands and weight are in relation to your body.

If your opponents hands are on the same side of your body, say for example their hands are on your the left side of your body and your opponent is lying on your right side, a shrimping/snaking movement might do the trick. However, if your opponents hands are on the right side of your body and your opponent is lying on your right side (he has a cross face on you and is pinning your hip), the shrimping/snake movement isn't going to help. It depends, there's a lot of things happening even though there doesn't look like a whole lot of movement.

The bottom line is if someone can isolate your shoulder girdle to the mat and 'pin' you down, you won't have the luxury of movement and thus you'll be 'stuck.' A good rule of thumb is NEVER, EVER be flat on your back. This will give you some flexibility with movement and will present some options. (Maybe not good ones, but at least something)

Of course, the best way to learn about escaping is to get some instruction with a qualified instructor, but if that's not an option, there are several good video's on the market that can help. The Joe Moriera white/belt video's by Panther are very good. Joe's a good guy and a very good instructor. He presents information in sequence. Of course, there are many others that are very good, Micheal Jen's Ultimate Pin escapes (www.teammaa.com) are excellent also. I've trained with Michael and his instruction is also top notch.

Good luck with your training.
Joe
LAC

Post by LAC »

Hello Mal & Joe,
Thank you both for your replies. I will consider all of the options that have been mentioned tonight when I am "stuck" on the mat.
I do have great instruction as well as video to review for escaping the side mount. But with me personally, I like to talk things through as well. I find it helps train my mind so I will react to the situation instead of thinking about the situation and what I need to do.
I look forward to more instruction from you gentlemen on my inquiries.

Good training, Peace Out...
Laura
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

I'm not up on some of this new-fangled terminology. Is "side-mount" related to kesa gatame?

Laura, when you are pinned in a sports situation, the key is space. You create space to move. A bridge creates space between you and the ground. Malcolm's forearm leverage creates space between you and your opponent (but be ready for a switch into kata gatame!)

Rhythm, alternating bridging with shrimping or a sit-up action can be a great way to create space, but it takes awhile to develope the feel for it.

Down and dirty, the edge of the hand under the nose, right at the base of the bone is extremely effective. It works on 400# cops with high pain tolerance and something to prove, so I recomend it highly. It also exposes the throat if you need it. It is however illegal in every competition style I've been exposed to yet.

Rory
rich_simons

Post by rich_simons »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RA Miller:
I'm not up on some of this new-fangled terminology. Is "side-mount" related to kesa gatame?

I believe the "side-mount" is yoko shiho gatame (side four-corner immoblization). Classical yoko shiho gatame involves grabbing the leg as well. Often, the term "side-mount" is a modified (or kuzure) version of yoko shiho in which the leg is not controlled.

Scarf Hold is kesa gatame.
THE mount is tate shiho gatame.
North-South is kame shiho gatame.

I don't know the English term for kata gatame, other than shoulder immobilization.

I think that puts us on the same page.

Any additions or corrections....?

Rich
LAC

Post by LAC »

Hey Mal,

Hope this post finds you doing well.
Had to tell you that I tried the first technique last night and it worked everytime. By the end of the night I told my partner how to place her arm properly so I couldn't pull it on her again. Of course I found out how to counter that move when I tried it on a more experienced grappler earlier in the night.
I am going to try your second recommendation tomorrow night and see how it goes.
Thanks for the advice. It has started me thinking about other options for escaping the side mount.

Good training, Peace Out....
Laura

Originally posted by Malcolm Wagner:
Depending on how high his side mount is, you might try a frame or bridge. It involves putting your forearm into the side of the opponents neck, then reinforcing your wrist with your other hand and pushing his head as far back as possible, then if your abdomen is strong enough you should be able to hook his head with your legs and pull him off of his side-mount.

It also works sometimes to hook your ankle around his waist and hip-swivel around to his back. This is not so easy if he has a good split-base working and is holding you down well.

Try them and let me know.

Mal
Malcolm Wagner

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Hi Laura,

You wrote:

"Had to tell you that I tried the first technique last night and it worked everytime"

It makes me feel good to teach something at a distance and have it work, you made my day.

Think about this, most of the grappling techniques you see these days are sport-oriented and could get you hurt when it's for real. Don't forget the strikes on the ground like head-buts and elbows to the face, and knees to anywhere. Also, "most" submission-holds can be countered by biting, scratching, and eye-gouging---these should be part of your training mentality.

Do you study a striking system also?

Peace In,
Mal
Sambo

Post by Sambo »

Escape from the side mount...

I have two very good Sambo techniques if you want to try them.
1) Place your arm around the persons shoulder and neck, kinda like a head lock.
- your other arm should go under and between
his/her legs, and grab the belt or shorts
above the butt.
- next throw your hips in the air at the
same time push up on belt/shorts your
holding, also at the same with your other
arm pull his/her head and shoulder inside
of the side mount like a summer sult.
- the movement will look like a side slam
on the ground. If you did the movment
right you will end up in a side mount on
top of him/her.

2) Shrimp/Snake walk away from his/her legs.
- Place your hands on their knee and push
on their knee to create space and you
will be able to get one leg out.
- do the same on the other side and get the
other leg out.
- if you did the movement right then you
will have him/her in your guard.

Return to “Kyohon - Grappling (For Stand-Up M.A.)”