Reality vs. Sport fighting

MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Dave, I was being a little dense and thinking that this training was for students, now I see it's for committed instructors. From your last post if I understand, that the intention of this training is to be joined at the hip (so to speak) of the core art and not be a separate study. I did that when I was learning CDT and it was great for me learning to execute the techniques on the fly, not so great for some of my sparring partners who weren't used to pain compliance techniques.

GEM, this sounds like a great program and I commend you and Dave for your work. :D
I was dreaming of the past...
Dave Young

Thanks

Post by Dave Young »

MikeK wrote:Dave, I was being a little dense and thinking that this training was for students, now I see it's for committed instructors. From your last post if I understand, that the intention of this training is to be joined at the hip (so to speak) of the core art and not be a separate study. I did that when I was learning CDT and it was great for me learning to execute the techniques on the fly, not so great for some of my sparring partners who weren't used to pain compliance techniques.

GEM, this sounds like a great program and I commend you and Dave for your work. :D
Thanks MikeK, and if you get some time please pass the word out on our program...I am looking for a host location up in your area for later on during the last part of 2007 if your interested........Merry Christmas!

Dave
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I was too busy imprinting my past experiences with self defense classes in traditional schools to clearly see what Dave and GEM were talking about. :oops: I'll let that be a lesson to me. :lol:
3. Training Options;
a. The student has the option to either participate exclusively with the traditional training and certifications without the reality stripes for performance;

b. The student has the option to either participate exclusively with the Reality Stripes training and certifications without the traditional training;

c. The student has the option to either to sign up for both the traditional training and”reality” training at the beginning of his/her training.
I am interested in how the two practices (RW & TMA) will mix. I do think it's smart to start the mix at the white belt level as many TMA black belts have a lot invested in how they view their art. Also how does one go about training for the established black belt, are they in the same classes as the white belts until they get caught up?

A lot of questions that I'm asking may seem like nit-picking but they are things that I've come across in my training. I'd like to hear from those with experience how they trained TMA in reality based MA. What kind of things were harder to teach them and what things were easier?
Dave Young

Cost

Post by Dave Young »

Van Canna wrote: This is indeed a great program. So the ball park figure for completion will be about $4- $5K taking consideration travel and lodging expenses, if I read this right?

Something that some students have asked to know before hand, when considering attendance.

Thanks Dave.
Van,

WOW about $4-5k, for the total packet...you only read it right if you were addiing it all together and not trying to cut any costs....

I believe for the first program in FL I offered a 2 for one so a person can share the expenses....and the botom line comes down to what they truly want....

If a person covered their own costs and drove, they can do the first phase for about $800/900.00. I cut the average cost down to half of what I do now....I am not concerned on the cost for many reasons.

1. A person who spends about $100.00 per month, plus their travel, equipment, and any misc. expenses and adds this over a 3 year period for a Blackbelt certification program...and that is IF THEY STAY FOR THE entire 3 years..and I am being nice if they actually attended every month would be between $3800-4500.00...

2. This is not a program for just instructors or black belts... this is for any student who is wanting to pursue their own defensive tactics for personal survival of any rank or style....At the completion of the program they are awarded the Instructor Trainer Certification from RedMan and Northcentral Technical College, and qualify for many other programs we offer that will enable them to offer more of a variety within their own dojo or for the person who wants to start teaching themselves.....the model I used to explain the course was merely a reference guide as an example of how the dojo's owns can continue the education of their students far beyond what they currently offer them now...

3. Continuous education in a field is critical for any professional not only from the liability end, but to help continue growth within their profession.

And from what I heard from George, Jet Blue fares to Orlando are about $99.00 one way but they need to get their reservations and registrations into NTC now. We will cut off the attendance at 24 students.

I hope this made it clearer. Thanks Van

Dave
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks Dave. :)
Van
CANDANeh

Excellent

Post by CANDANeh »

Been following this thread and commend Dave Young on his professional program.
Léo
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Yes_ yet we still have marginal views for such an important thread, and after We went of our way to clarify the program.

Let's hope that Dave gets the support he deserves.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I am interested in how the two practices (RW & TMA) will mix.
~~

Dave
a. The student has the option to either participate exclusively with the traditional training and certifications without the reality stripes for performance.
This could be discussed further. When you say “participate exclusively with the traditional training”

What does ‘traditional’ mean?

You mean like _ say: the Uechi traditional katas/kumite/bunkai _ taken to a different level using strictly Uechi techniques or modifying the techniques in according to RW concepts_ or something else?
Van
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

This is not a program for just instructors or black belts... this is for any student who is wanting to pursue their own defensive tactics for personal survival of any rank or style....At the completion of the program they are awarded the Instructor Trainer Certification from RedMan and Northcentral Technical College, and qualify for many other programs we offer that will enable them to offer more of a variety within their own dojo or for the person who wants to start teaching themselves.....the model I used to explain the course was merely a reference guide as an example of how the dojo's owns can continue the education of their students far beyond what they currently offer them now...
Interesting as can be in my opinion. To eventually be able to instruct what you learned with certification is worth the initial investment. Right now I sense I`m missing out on something worthwhile.
RedMan and Northcentral Technical College
May have missed it but how long has this institute been around and is it just USA based? To offer a tradition martial art as well as backing from a recognized reality defense institute in presenting defense/awareness training would increase enrollment in a dojo .
Léo
Dave Young

History

Post by Dave Young »

CANDANeh wrote:
This is not a program for just instructors or black belts... this is for any student who is wanting to pursue their own defensive tactics for personal survival of any rank or style....At the completion of the program they are awarded the Instructor Trainer Certification from RedMan and Northcentral Technical College, and qualify for many other programs we offer that will enable them to offer more of a variety within their own dojo or for the person who wants to start teaching themselves.....the model I used to explain the course was merely a reference guide as an example of how the dojo's owns can continue the education of their students far beyond what they currently offer them now...
Interesting as can be in my opinion. To eventually be able to instruct what you learned with certification is worth the initial investment. Right now I sense I`m missing out on something worthwhile.
RedMan and Northcentral Technical College
May have missed it but how long has this institute been around and is it just USA based? To offer a tradition martial art as well as backing from a recognized reality defense institute in presenting defense/awareness training would increase enrollment in a dojo .

LEO,

Northcentral Technical College (NTC) was established in 1912, and has been one of the top criminal justice programs in the nation, working with major universities throughout the state of WI and in the United States....

RedMan was first introduced in 1984 and for over the last 20 years with real world experience, and field proven techniques we have been training professionals world wide throughout the United States as well as internationally for local, state, federal police agencies, corrections, military and security agencies...we have decided to expand our programs, and are bringing this training to the other side of the professional world....the professionals within the martial art communities.

I hope that helped answer your questions. Thanks for asking.

Dave
Dave Young

Not a Problem

Post by Dave Young »

God Bless and Merry Christmas....Enjoy your holiday!

Dave
Dave Young

Post by Dave Young »

Van Canna wrote:Dave,

You wrote about the best way to breathe when using a power knee strike.

Could you explain this breathing concept you use? And is the same for any other moves you teach, and what are they?
Van.....

We exhale during impact so we hit with a solid core. Controlling breathing during your encounters helps a great deal especially when striking and having to think as things change, helps not only with the body mechanics of strking but the mental aspect of it as well.

There is a good chance if you are not breathing then you are not thinking, and I mean thinking clearly. Also helps with using verbailization as a foundation for use of force used on another. When I get back in Jan 07 ask me to expand on this and I would be glad too. Thanks

Merry Christmas...
Dave
PS..I will return on Jan 2, 2007 for a few days..
Dave
Stay Safe, Stay Strong, STAY ALIVE!
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Not to disrupt things, but one difference between reality and sport (or dojo) fighting is that it can switch from one on one to something a little bit more unpredictable. In this video watch what happens when the first guy hits the guy in the white shirt.

Video

A variation on the theme

Return to “Kyohon - Realist Related (Real Self Defense)”