Maiming the Constitution for political ends

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!

Is the republican push for same sex marriage debate politically motivated?

yes
71%
no
29%

Total votes: 7

IJ

Post by IJ »

I guess that's the difference between ideological conservatives and "compassionate conservatives," Panther :(

Just curious, would you limit individual's ability to form these unions in any way? Typical restrictions would be 1 spouse per person, not related, not children--that fair?
--Ian
Panther

Post by Panther »

IJ wrote:I guess that's the difference between ideological conservatives and "compassionate conservatives," Panther :(
I really don't see it as a "conservative" thing... There are plenty of liberals who are just as willing to stomp on someone else's Rights... and that's what I see it as... basically, if you wish to stomp on someone else's Rights, don't expect others to listen when you cry foul as your Rights are being stomped on.
Just curious, would you limit individual's ability to form these unions in any way? Typical restrictions would be 1 spouse per person, not related, not children--that fair?
There are valid science and health reasons (physical, physiological, mental) to restrict marriage (or even intimate relations) between close relatives and between adults and children. In those cases, I agree with limiting the choice of partner. Otherwise, as previously stated, my position is that marriage is between the couple and their God (or lack thereof)... and that any union "sanctioned" with special priviledge or recognition by the State is... by definition, a "civil union". If you aren't harming someone else (IE: the child in an adult/child intimate relationship, the future children in an incestuous relationship, etc.), then it just really isn't anyone else's business. I've seen recent arguments that purport that "gay marriage" is a health hazard... I've seen some arguments, but nothing compelling in the least.

This kind of gets back to the argument/discussion/thread a while back about smoking/wearing radioactive jewelry... If there is a legitimate compelling reason that isn't "junk science" being used for an agenda, then that's a consideration. Otherwise, leave folks alone!
IJ

Post by IJ »

Agreed--what I meant was that THIS cause is a "conservative" one.... No doubt liberals stomp on a bunch of rights. The health argument is an interesting one because in the lack of support for stable relationships, they'd be greater.
--Ian
Panther

Post by Panther »

IJ wrote:The health argument is an interesting one because in the lack of support for stable relationships, they'd be greater.
As I said, I haven't seen any (even close to) compelling arguments at all...

As far as stable relationships, well... Two people coming together can be the biggest blessing in your life... or the biggest curse. That's just a double edged sword that anyone getting married must face. Having the knowledge of both types of situations, I know that the blessing is wonderful and the curse is awful until the union is completely dissolved... And that can be an even bigger curse for some. I just hope that everyone can find the right person for them and share the blessing of spending their time with the right someone...

Take care...

Return to “Realist Training”