What's wrong with this picture?

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Kevin Mackie

What's wrong with this picture?

Post by Kevin Mackie »

That trigger finger a bit out of position for someone standing so casually shouting at a photographer with a loaded gun?

Just wondering.
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Good catch! He would fail my training course and get no NRA certificate if I saw him do that. Lifetime hunter? Ha! He probably learned that from Senator Boxer.

Regards, Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Bill Bauknecht

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Wondering what he has been shooting at. He has his weapon pointed right about chest level. Well, safety first, his gun is usually empty anyway. :lol:
Bill B.
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Good catch! He would fail my training course and get no NRA certificate if I saw him do that.
Ha Rich! I bet you'd fail him no matter what! :lol:

Now I wonder, Is it possible that he had just shot a target and is just shouting over to the media folks? See how everyone is looking forward as though a target had just been hit. He must have shot both barrels already because those people to the (pun not intended) left of him are right there with him, and also, notice the barell is pointed forwards?

People see what they want to I guess.
Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

Actually, for safety reasons, his finger should be on the trigger guard unless he's ready to shoot. If he just shot, then why is his finger there? Also, the the barrel should be pointed safely, and that would not be straight out without keeping your eyes on where it's aimed.

Ditto for the yahoo behind him with his barrel up at about 50 degrees. An accidental shot from that would put a round well over whatever berm they have behind the target, or at least further into the distance than he would ever intend.

Kevin
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Hello Ben. You said: "Ha Rich! I bet you'd fail him no matter what!"

Actually no. I take great pleasure in teaching firearm skills and safety to the non believers. What amazes me is how many of the so called liberal left own handguns.

One of the most outrageous displays of that is by Senator Feinstien, who is on record as wanting to disarm the entire US population. Except for her, she has a handgun and permit so she can feel safe.

Also, at an anti gun rally, good old Feinstien put her finger on the trigger of a semi auto AK47 style weapon and pretented to spray the audience. She needs some safety training!

While we are analyzing the Kerry picture, there is another huge safety violation on the firing line. If you look at the angle of the photo, either the photographer is in front of the firing line or the folks behind Karry are, or both. The range officer blew this or let Kerry get away with it for the photo op.

And you Ben are always welcome to visit Richmond for some range time.

Regards, Rich
Last edited by RACastanet on Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I'll leave this discussion to the firearms experts and the politically motivated... ;)

I will however highly recommend Rich to all who want good firearms training. He is NRA certified in rifle, pistol, and shotgun. And he's classified as an expert marksman (pistol, I believe) by the USMC. And I know his instructor, who was shot several times by stupid, careless students. He's even more strict than Rich - for good reason. 8O

This isn't a game. Those who break safety rules put others' lives in danger. They deserve to be berated.

- Bill
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

And you Ben are always welcome to visit Richmond for some range time.
Thank you Rich. I appreciate that none of this is personal.

Points from Rich and Kevin noted. Good points :roll:
Arnisador84

Post by Arnisador84 »

If he's shooting that thing, why doesn't he have anything over his ears? Mabye I'm just a sissy, but those things are LOUD! There are a few things disconcerning about this picture, but there is also the fact that the situation at hand isn't at all clear. The finger on the trigger is obviously the most troublesome part of it. Nonetheless, without more information, it's hard to make a judgement.

Post by Panther »

If he's shooting that thing, why doesn't he have anything over his ears?
Small, foam earplugs... They're all wearing them... makes me wonder because most avid shooters use either special, custom-made advanced technology earplugs, high noise reduction (minimum 21db and usually over 25db with many shooters opting for the well-made 29db) ear-muffs, or high-tech noise-cancelling electronic ear-muffs.

Then again, even though they're generally not considered effective enough for lots of use, those little foam ear plugs are probably the reason why Hanoi John is shouting to the camera.

This was a photo-op, so I don't care... Hanoi John isn't a shooter, gun enthusiast or sportsman. Just as the photo-op of him on a motorcycle... sure, he owns a Harley (rumor has it that it has significantly less than 1000 miles on it), has his bike license, but the other rumor is that he doesn't own a helmet! Not generally a noteworthy fact unless one realizes that Massachusetts has a helmet law! (Where is his bike located? One of the numerous Heinz mansions outside the Bay State, I'm sure...). And if you dig just a little bit, you find that his bike isn't the Harley that he keeps touting on the campaign trail as proof that he's 101% pro-american-made... His bike is a Ducati. At least according to his released financials.

Basically, he isn't pro-sportsman/gun-owners and he isn't pro-motorcycles either... His voting record is far more important than a few photo-ops.

Same goes for "dubya"...

IOW... photo-ops don't impress me... what's the real record on the issues.

I am compelled again to refer to the Lizard speech...

"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."
"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"
"No"
, said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward.
On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd"
, said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did"
, said Ford. "It is."
"So"
, said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them"
, said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
"Oh yes"
, said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But"
, said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard"
, said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"
"What?"
"I said"
, said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"
"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."

Ford shrugged again.
"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them." he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."

- Douglas Adams, So long, and thanks for all the fish, chapter 36, 1984
benzocaine

how 'bout this one?

Post by benzocaine »

benzocaine

how 'bout this one?

Post by benzocaine »

duplicate post deleted.
Last edited by benzocaine on Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RACastanet

Another 'safe' firearm user...

Post by RACastanet »

Hmmm...

Another candidate from the past with questionable training. Maybe it runs in the family.

Rich
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Never cared for Gore. He almost lived up to his name there :?

What's the deal with these guys and gun safety. My Dad was in vietnam and probably went through te same boot camp as Gore. He always stressed muzzle control, and I'd be in BIG trouble if I touched his double barell 12 gauge that hung on a beam in the living room.

Thanks to Massachusetts law there's a big shiny lock on the trigger now.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Anyone have a site I can post a picture on? It should both entertain AND tell you that any photo can be doctored to look like something it isn't.

Trust me - this one is worth it.

- Bill

Return to “Realist Training”