How much of your electronic privacy will YOU give up?

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Panther

How much of your electronic privacy will YOU give up?

Post by Panther »

==================================
My God-given Rights are NOT "void where prohibited by law!"
IJ

Post by IJ »

I'm all for the new legislation. as recently discussed elsewhere, it has a snappy title, and if Ashcroft helped write it, it probably has a poet's lyricism. Maybe he'll sing some of it.
--Ian
Valkenar

Re: How much of your electronic privacy will YOU give up?

Post by Valkenar »

Panther wrote:http://news.com.com/2010-1071-983921.html

When is enough, enough?
Yup, I see this kind of legislation happening all the time. The things nobody is aware of that are illegal are absolutely ridiculous. The newer laws against hacking and breaking copy protection are ridiculous.

These laws that are supposed to protect us against miscreants are making us less safe. For example, it's illegal to distribute information about how to compromise a computer system. Sounds bad enough to me, but many people equate it to directions for making a nuclear bomb. But in the computer security field the way it's always worked is that a free exchange of information keeps people up to date on how to patch their systems to protect themselves. But with some of the new legislation they have to worry about companies trying to shut them up about a flaw because they don't want the bad PR. Security through obscurity does not work, it's a venerable maxim in the community, but these laws enshrine it as policy.

Then there's the DMCA, which creates $500,000 fine and 5 year prison sentences for breaking copy protection schemes, or publishing information about how to break copy protection schemes. I'd give you some examples of why it's easier to to run afoul of this legislation than you expect, but then I'd be guilty of having published information on how to break copy protection schemes.

And now they're thinking of banning P2P networks because they're also used for criminal activity. It's like banning cars because people transport drugs in them.

Return to “Realist Training”