A letter from the front by a Great American.

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
RACastanet

A letter from the front by a Great American.

Post by RACastanet »

Fresh from the front lines:

Rich,
greetings from Iraq. Let's see, ...where to begin? I'm at day 51 of this deployment and it feels like I've been here a lifetime. A month here is like a year in a peacetime Marine Corps. The length of days, coupled with the breadth and scope of the mission, the miles driven, and the myriad of issues that come at you 100 mph, really can take a toll. Add to that the obvious dangers every day, and I think I've learned more in 51 days than I have in years, in some ways.

Commanding a battalion in combat is a challenge. But, the Marines are performing well, with few exceptions. Keeping in mind how young these kids are, they are doing exceptionally well and coping with it all, in stride. The ones who "don't get it" just need better leadership from those of us entrusted to provide it. To me, it's always the leaders who have the problems, not those being led. But, given that we've only been together this short time, it's coming together quite nicely.

We'd had some attacks on our convoys, had some vehicle accidents due to the conditions and serious miles we drive, and received a bit of rocket fire about every two weeks or so. Just harrassment as they have no targeting skills. Two purple hearts given to my Marines so far. Spirits remain high, however.

Weather has broken, now only in the high 90s. Nights are nice. Even had a splash of rain today. Raining season is coming. Makes the poor roads difficult to traverse due to wadis flooding over the road. We're doing some road improvement to try to mitigate.

Most folks have lost some weight. No beer, no junk food, long hours, and boredom in the chowhall. All are PTing. MCMAP is everywhere. I haven't had a chance yet, but will soon.

I get a phone call to the family once a week, and lots of emails. That's working out nicely. Family seems to be coping well.
Lots of VIPs visit my battalion. Many General officers come by. I'm the only logistics provider in the western half of the country.

That's about it off the top of my head. It's everything I expected and more.
Keep the emails coming. Please send the Rumsfeld photo to Van, he can post on the site.

More later,
Drew
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I just got a PM from Drew on my pepper spray thread. He was stoked!

Drew says hi to everyone, and especially to Rich.

- Bill

Return to “Realist Training”