Transsexuals in competitions (martial arts)

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Bene Gesserit

Transsexuals in competitions (martial arts)

Post by Bene Gesserit »

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I found this forum while researching Uechi Ryu for a number or reasons. I found most of the information I wanted and was on my out of this neck of space when I realized there was a broad range of bright minds posting here, as well as some interesting topics, so I said "Ah heck, nothing ventured..."

What do you people think about competing against transsexuals?

I am defining only one definition of transsexuality here. A female to male, or male to female. A person who has, to the best of their ability, physically and socially and/or otherwise, transitioned from one sex and gender to their respective opposite.

There are a lot of different kinds of martial arts competitions out there. Unless I am mistaken, most if not all MA competitions in this and most countries separate men's and women's fight for a variety reasons valid or otherwise.

Not all transsexual people reach a completely 'bulletproof' or 'unclockable' appearance. Some transsexual people assimilate very well, and others do not. Some you see and some you do not. Often seeing or noticing an individual's transsexuality is a subtle perception thing.

Along the same vein. Real(tm) fights.

You are a man or a woman facing apparently a member of your own sex in a sanctioned martial arts competition or street fight.

Either a moment before, during or after the fight, you suddenly realize you are fighting someone who is transsexual. How do you feel?

You just defeated in competition, or punished in a street fight, a transsexual person, how do you feel?

You were just defeated in competition, or punished in a street fight, by a transsexual person. How do you feel?
---"To the rational mind there can be no offense,
no obscenity, no blasphemy,
but only information of greater or lesser
value."
Med Tech

Post by Med Tech »

Having competed against the opposite sex, and competed with the handicap of less-than-perfect vision, I gotta tell ya, I wouldn't give a rip. I've known awesome women judoka and karateka who could rip me a new one in competition. Without my glasses, I can't focus on anything except the blur coming at me. I have to rely largely on instinct. To those without that handicap, get over it. whether someone thinks they're the opposite sex, while carrying the same appendage or not, has no impact on their skill, speed and power. Or their ability to clean your clock. Competing is competing, no matter who its' against.

On the street, face it, if you're focused on the clothes or makeup of your attacker, they've just gained an advantage. If I'm attacked by a transexual, it just means I face a hate-crimes lawsuit for GP when they wake up in the hospital.
IJ

Post by IJ »

"If I'm attacked by a transexual, it just means I face a hate-crimes lawsuit for GP when they wake up in the hospital."

Can anyone document that penalties are being leveled against people who practice self defense against a group protected by hate crimes laws that would not be leveled against people who defended themselves against others? Additionally, can anyone document these penalties are lawsuits, rather than criminal charges? Would be a serious misuse of the laws--if it's happening.
--Ian

Return to “Realist Training”