What happened to the military??

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Bush's idea for partial privatization is a wonderful idea for a long term solution.
I partially agree Rich. I want to COMPLETELY privatize my retirement account.

It raises my blood pressure when I think of all the money I've paid into social insecurity. (since age 14) I don't expect to see a cent of it. :evil: :bad-words:

Please America. Let me opt out of Social security and put it into my fidelity low priced stock fund portion of my 403B retirement account ... please??
mikemurphy

really!

Post by mikemurphy »

Bill Sensei,

For the record, I would love to see people have complete control over their social security account. The government has shown it can't handle it well enough for me or anyone else, but we know that won't happen. They will never let go of that cash cow.

BUT...

<<As for social security, well what the hell did GW do to screw it up? WAKE UP, MIKE!!!!>>

I suggest you read the article below Bill and do some waking up yourself. This is only one article of many that I found, but let's not bore each other with trivial liberal press. I posted it in full so no one would have trouble finding it.

<<I gave up on SS....oh...about 27 years ago. One of my specialties is epidemiology. I saw the baby boom population bulge long ago, and knew what was coming ahead. That's why I'm saving. Sure hope you are.>>

Too bad you're stuck with it. We're all stuck with it. I'm saving too, don't worry.

<<With GW's plan, a person gets to ( gasp ) actually SAVE that money and even invest it. Even a monkey can do better with money than the federal government.>>

Only a small portion of it. As I said before, they'll never let go of it completely, not when they can continue to steal from it.

<<GW messed up social security? Oh Mike, that's a good one! >>

I didn't say he was the cause of SS's problems. Those problems were inherent with the system. He simply plays the games the rest of them have played. He has a plan, but he has enjoyed fudging the system. I'm sorry Bill, but GW won't be going straight to heaven. ;-)

<<Oh and yes, banks WILL loan students more than they can pay back. If I hadn't succeeded as well as I did and gotten a little bit of help here and there, I would have needed to declare bankruptcy big time. Instead, I took some risks, Mike. I could EASILY have failed. In fact I had negative net worth until I was in my early 40s. >>

As far as I know Bill, banks will loan you only so much money (even for school) before they shut you off. They'll give you a lifetime to pay it back it seems since they can't take the education away from you. And, declaring bankruptcy might be fine, but you can't write off an educational loan.

<<As for Drew, well it's inappropriate for me to volunteer him for anything. Right now I think he's pretty busy doing his best to succeed in a mission that he believes in. And I believe in him , and others like him who sacrifice for me. It's MY prerogative, after all. >>

My door is always open.

<<By the way, why do you keep talking about Vietnam? You remind me of other people my age who are stuck on the music of their generation. Scary...>>

First of all, I'm not your age ;-). Second, I don't usually harp on the subject, but when the glove fits (OJ pun). There is way too much comparison with it. I don't understand what you don't see, the biggest being the end result, which unfortunately, will be "a long time coming" (more CSN).

The funny part about this that if you are correct it will be a very satisfying "I told you so" that I'll hear from both you and Rich (Ian too probably, but nobody will understand him), but if I'm correct, then it will be with much sorrow and regret that I say it to you. Either way, it won't be a 20 year conflict, so we should know soon enough.

cya,

mike

The Unlocked Box
How Bush is plundering Social Security to close the deficit.
By Daniel Gross
Posted Friday, Jan. 9, 2004, at 10:51 AM PT

Feeding Social Security to the defict

The International Monetary Fund, which usually frets about runaway fiscal policies in developing countries, yesterday released a report that warned of the dangers to the global economy posed by the United States' lack of spending discipline, its reliance on foreign creditors, and its failure to plan adequately for future government liabilities.

Earlier this week, even as he called for making the Bush tax cuts permanent, Treasury Secretary John Snow pooh-poohed the deficit problem and insisted the government has a plan to improve matters:

Our fiscal situation remains a matter of concern. With major expenditures to protect our nation's homeland security and fight the war on terror, coupled with a recovering economy, we still face a deficit in the $500 billion range for the current fiscal year—larger than anyone wants. But that size deficit, at roughly 4.5% of GDP (compared with a modern peak of 6% during the 80s), is not historically out of range; and it is entirely manageable, if we continue the president's strong pro-growth economic policies and sound fiscal restraint. Indeed, with adoption of the President's policies, our projections show a solid path toward cutting the deficit in half, toward a size that is below 2% of GDP, within the next five years.

The genial treasury secretary, a former deficit hawk, seems literally incapable of speaking truthfully about the deficit. (The same holds for National Economic Council Chairman Stephen Friedman.) In fact, if we adopt the president's policies—which include a host of new tax cuts and massive new spending programs—the deficit won't fall 50 percent in the next five years. It will grow substantially. And if President Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress weren't already quietly using every penny of the massive and growing Social Security surplus to cover operating expenses—and planning to continue this habit—the deficits would be even larger.

Back in 1983, as part of a deal to save Social Security from impending demographic doom, Congress enacted legislation to essentially increase payroll taxes and reduce benefits. As a result, the government began to collect more Social Security payroll taxes than it paid out to beneficiaries each year. The theory was that the government would use these surpluses to pay down the national debt. That way, when baby boomers retire—and comparatively more people are collecting benefits while comparatively fewer people are working—the government would be in a better position to borrow the necessary funds to provide the promised benefits.

So much for theory. The reality? For the first 15 years, every penny of the surplus was spent, first by Republican presidents and then by a Democratic president. According to figures provided by the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, the surpluses were relatively insignificant for much of this period. Between 1983 and 2001 a total of $667 billion in excess Social Security payroll taxes was spent—about $35 billion per year. It was only in fiscal 1999 and 2000, when the government ran so-called on-budget surpluses, that excess Social Security funds were actually used to retire debt.

In the 2000 campaign, Vice President Al Gore said we should sequester the Social Security surpluses in a "lockbox" to prevent appropriators from spending them. Bush agreed in principle. But that commitment went out the window soon after the inauguration. In his first three budgets, Bush (who had the good fortune to take office at a time when the surpluses were growing rapidly) and Congress used $480 billion in excess Social Security payroll taxes to fund basic government operations—about $160 billion per year!

By so doing, Washington spenders have masked the size of the deficit. For Fiscal 2004—which began in October 2003—if you factor out the $164 billion Social Security surplus, the on-budget deficit will be at least $639 billion, rather close to the modern peak of 6 percent of GDP. And according to its own projections (the bottom line of Table 8 represents the Social Security surplus), the administration plans to spend an additional $990 billion in such funds between now and 2008. That year, according to the Office of Management and Budget's projections, the on-budget deficit will be about $464 billion. Only by using that year's $238 billion Social Security surplus does the administration arrive at a total, unified deficit of $226 billion. And the ultimate on-budget deficit will almost certainly be worse. OMB has proven in the past few years that its projections can't be trusted.

The accounting for Social Security surpluses has always been dishonest. But in the past few years, the Bush administration has made this shady accounting a central pillar of its fiscal strategy. The unprecedented reliance on these funds hides the failure of the administration to ensure that there is some reasonable correlation between the resources it has at its disposal and the spending commitments it makes. Bush & Co. have redesigned the tax system so that collections of the progressive taxes that are supposed to fund government operations—like individual income taxes—have plummeted. Instead, with each passing year we rely for our current needs more on the regressive payroll taxes that are supposed to fund our collective retirement.

The persistence of the administration and its credulous allies in eliding these facts is flabbergasting. Of course, for the Bush administration to give an honest accounting of the deficits, and of the role that Social Security surpluses play in keeping them down, would be to admit the fundamental bankruptcy—no pun intended—of its adventuresome fiscal experiment.

Daniel Gross (www.danielgross.net) writes Slate's "Moneybox" column. You can e-mail him at moneybox@slate.com.
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Mike said: "For the record, I would love to see people have complete control over their social security account. The government has shown it can't handle it well enough for me or anyone else, but we know that won't happen. They will never let go of that cash cow."

I agree with that. The government plan is to keep control of some of the $$$ to be certain everyone has something. There would be too many who do not save a penny otherwise.

The idea behind a solid retirement portfolio is to have three legs:
Government type SS
Personal SS investments
Voluntary savings

Right now, all too many people are relying on only the fed SS plan.

The Bush plan, which is modeled after several European plans (the Wall Street Journal covered the Euro plans just last week but I tossed the paper so do not have specifics.) adds in the personal SS accounts.

It is up to individuals to make volunary payments into 401K plans, IRAs etc. For those that worked long enough for large companies, school districts etc. to be vested there are also pension plans... a fourth leg.

Mike also said: "Only a small portion of it."

Not correct. Most people do not understand the plan. The idea is to put, depending on the plan that is accepted, around 3% of the $$ into the private account. That is not 3% of the total, it is 3% of the 12% total withheld. Right now SS takes about 6% out of your pay. Your employer also has to put in 6%. The total is 12%. So, if 3% (9% still goes to traditional SS) is set aside for the private account, that is a full quarter of the savings. That is significant. (By the way, I'm using round numbers for simplicity sake.)

I paid into SS for over 30 years. I also saved about 10% of my earnings annually for the same period. If I had invested that 3% in the same fashion as I did my personal savings, the amount I'd have in that account today would be $450,000.00! No #####! If I had the full 12% of my personal and employer contribution to invest for 30 years I'd have $1,800,000.00 in that account.

Tell me again that this is " Only a small portion of it. "

It is too late for me to benefit much from the proposed change. But, for someone just entering the work force, this is a fantastic opportunity.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
mikemurphy

Break

Post by mikemurphy »

With the New Year here, let's hope that it will be better than the last. I think that we can all agree that it is everyone's wish that:
1. No more American lives are lost anywhere.
2. Peace "breaks out" in all parts of the world
3. All the homeless find a home
4. All the starving people in the world get the food they need
5. The Indian Ocean gets a early warning system for Tsunamis
6. We have a social security system in the future
7. France flushes itself down the toilet ;-)
8. Bill sensei learns how to sing
9. I take the time to spellchek ;-)
10. Rich learns the use of a comma :-)

And the list goes on..........

Happy New years to all,

mike
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

11) martial arts becomes teh d3adly ??? :lol: :lol:

happy new year all
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

"10. Rich learns the use of a comma "

Heheheheheh. I will need some guidance on this Mike.

Happy New Year.

Rich
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

8. Bill sensei learns how to sing
Little did you know... I was the star singer in the boys choir in Catholic school. I had the largest range, and was the first boy in my age group that learned how to harmonize. (My piano training)

Then puberty hit...

Now I have a great low range, and a good falsetta. Alas Motown and doo wap went out of style in the 1970s... But it's always worth a laugh when someone bets me that I can't sing a Frankie Valley song (e.g. Big girls don't cry). Oddly a song like that is easier for someone with a deep voice.

Did you know that karate dragon breathing is great for your vibratto? 8)

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

One very important feature about the proposed personal SS accounts that I forgot to mention...

The unused private portion is yours to pass on to your heirs. Unlike SS today that expires with you, the personal account will create an estate and not be redistrbuted to others in the program. So, if I am frugal and prudent, the $450,000 I mentioned above will benefit my children, grandchildren and on.

What's not to like about this program?

Rich
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yea, but what do you want to bet that the government won't try to find some way to tax the hell out of any SS reserve worth more than a few pennies... :evil:

My dad is a classic victim of present day tax laws. The man had eight kids, and they all managed to get educated and get on to productive lives. A few "characters" here and there, but nothing abnormal for a typical Irish family. :wink:

This man worked his arse off as a younger lad putting his kids through good schools, and sacrificing his own needs. We all made it to private school in hand-me-down clothes while he drove a Rambler and wore one of 3 or so white shirts. His priorities were spot on.

So here he is in his eighties, ready to pass on some of his estate, now that he doesn't have the burden of 8 kids in school. You could imagine that his earning power he worked so hard for suddenly bloomed into significant reserves once the chicks left the nest. But understand, this inheritance must go eight ways.

The government thinks he has too much money, and wants to tax the schit out of him when he passes away. Now I don't give a rat's tushie whether he gives me anything. But I'll be damned if I'm going to let the federal government steal it all away. Too much money? Bullhockey! Something divided by eight isn't a whole hell of a lot. When I was a kid, something divided by eight meant my brother's clothes that he wore two years earlier.

We have a pact. We're going to keep his heart beating until the inheritance tax cuts kick in. I don't need his money, but he wants control over where it goes. And that's the way it should be.

Beware of these pockets of money accumulating. Some tax-and-spend do-gooder is going to find better use for it. You know...to help all those folks who didn't have the discipline to sacrifice like the thrifty did.

Grrrrr....

- Bill
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Bush wants to make the tax cuts permanent, and that includes the eventual elimination of the 'death tax'. With congress under Republican control it is a good bet we will see this occur this year or next.

To encourage savings Bush also wants to make all savings accounts free from fed taxes. This is very encouraging.

There are many ways to beat the tax man in the mean time. With such an extended family as yours your dad could literally give his money away tax free. He is allowed to give $11,000 per year tax free at both ends to as many people as he wishes. For instance, that could be $44,000 to the Bill family. If all eight siblings have a typical family of four he could give away $352,000 this year. That should make a dent.

Another plan is to set up 'trusts'. You need to consult a tax planner for that but it is my method of saving the family fortune from the 'death tax'.

Aren't we all glad Bush is in the Whitehouse?

Rich
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rich

You are a very smart man. My father is WAY ahead of you... ;) He's a retired broker, mind you, and his best friend is a retired attorney.

You can see now why he voted for JFK in 1960, and "W" in 2004.

By the way, you should see some of the charity work he is doing in the name of my deceased mom. Neat stuff... I will post some photos soon.

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

So I'm still trying to get this straight.

Under W's plan - 3% of the 12% is shifted to a personally directed account - but that account is compulsory - you can't opt out of it and choose to just drop it in your checking account - right?

And for folks who get disabled young, people with developmental disabilities, non-working spouses who loses their breadwinner young, etc - all those people will still be covered by the remaining 9% of the traditional social security even during the time that the largest load of retirees starts drawing on the same service?

SSI and SSDI are already being cut - how is this going to keep them from going away altogether?

Dana
Did you show compassion today?
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

"Under W's plan - 3% of the 12% is shifted to a personally directed account - but that account is compulsory - you can't opt out of it and choose to just drop it in your checking account - right?"

Please note that I am using nice round numbers as examples. That actual % is yet to be decided.

That is the idea. If you choose to put 3% into the personal account it is there to stay until retirement or death. This is still enforced savings but gives you a voluntary option. Too many people would blow there retirement account if allowed to access it before retirement.

"And for folks who get disabled young, people with developmental disabilities, non-working spouses who loses their breadwinner young, etc - all those people will still be covered by the remaining 9% of the traditional social security even during the time that the largest load of retirees starts drawing on the same service?

SSI and SSDI are already being cut - how is this going to keep them from going away altogether?"

The full payout is not going away for current users. At age 66 I will get whatever the actuarial tables say I should. This is a long term plan. But if you buy into this private account, your payouts will be based on the 9% you paid into traditional SS. SS payments are based on your high 15 years or something like that. I'm a long way off from 66 so really do not know the details of the current plan. However, I have no doubt that if I paid into the voluntary system starting in 1972 the payout from my personal account should exceed the SS payout from the full 12%.

Since you are such a youngster it is hard to say what the impact will be on you.

As for SSI and SSDI I know of no effect from the voluntary plan. They are outside of this discussion as far as I know.

This is all a very long term fix. Short term this will be painful to the fed budget, but in 75 years or so after the baby boom bubble is only a footnote in history everyone will be much better off.

Rich
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

It appears the plan, as described today, will be a 4% contribution to a private account. It just keeps getting better.

Rich

Return to “Realist Training”