Rest easy America

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
MikeK

Rest easy America

Post by MikeK »

PASADENA, Calif. (CP) - The season of award shows kicked off Sunday night with Michael Moore's controversial film Fahrenheit 9/11 winning the People's Choice Award for favourite movie. "We live in a great country and we all love our country very much and I am so amazed that you did this - the people of America; that you voted for this film," said a laughing Moore as the audience cheered wildly. "I'm honoured and gratified." He dedicated the award to those who are fighting in Iraq.
So rest easy America, we have a fabricating phoney who can't control his eating habits watching out for us. Something is just not right about his win.
I was dreaming of the past...
Panther

Post by Panther »

I wrote a "gut reaction" reply, but I take it back...

and instead I will only point out that from what I've been told, there was only one bright moment in the entire "ceremony". And that was when Mel Gibson won for "The Passion of the Christ". God Bless him. Against all of the Hollywierd odds and their attempts to shut him out, this masterpiece won. Amen to you Mel, may your profits fund your work as a prophet for Christianity... I think I'll go out and buy another 10 copies of the DVD as gifts.

:D

A friend of mine said that his acceptance speech was so interlaced with the cheers from the "people's gallery" (the "cheap seats" rather than the hollywierd elite seats on the floor), that Mel Gibson spoke looking up at those folks in the balcony who were cheering for him and never looked at the hollywood elite on the floor, that she was able to write down Mel's entire speech verbatim. Here is her transcription:

"I was just hoping to break even here. A film of this magnitude took a lot
of people to make it, and I thank all of them, the cast and crew, and all of
the people it took to make this film. (These next two lines were spoken
with even greater emphasis.
) But really, more than any other thing I've
ever worked on, when you circumvent the system, I depended on you, and
you were there. So, this means a lot more to me this time than anything
before. If it wasn't for you guys, it would have been dead in the water. So,
thanks a lot. Thanks to all the blue states, the red states (huge cheers
from the balcony
), the catatonic states, everything, everyone, who voted
for making this a tremendous success. I'll just be brief and get off. God
Bless you all."

-Mel Gibson
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Is Moore’s film
the People’s Choice?

By Jeannette Walls
MSNBC
Updated: 3:17 a.m. ET Dec. 13, 2004

The Bush bashing flick is ineligible for a Best Picture win from the Golden Globes and wasn’t submitted to the best documentary category of the Oscars — but it’s been nominated for Favorite Film of the Year by folks voting in the People’s Choice Awards — the first time a documentary has been nominated in that category.

“Now, normally I wouldn’t make a very big deal out of something like this,” Moore writes on his Web site. “But then a group of top Republicans took out a full page ad in USA Today. [and among other things they] issued a not-so-subtle threat to the Academy Awards voters that, in essence, said don’t even THINK about nominating ‘Fahrenheit 9/11’ for Best Picture. And [Fox newsman] Bill O’Reilly recently bellowed that if the Oscars recognize my work this year, Middle America will boycott Hollywood. Oops. I guess he spoke too soon. Because now along comes Middle America’s favorite awards show, the People’s Choice.”
- MSNBC

I suppose if they lobbied and campaigned for it amongst their ardent supporters, that they should have been able to get the votes they need.

Be nice to Mikey. This was the only election he was able to influence this year. And his Hollywood entertainment expenses (plus personal food budget) obviously require significant receipts at the box office. :P

- Bill

Return to “Realist Training”