You go, girl!

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Bill Glasheen

You go, girl!

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Pardon me for waxing a bit partisan but... This goes way beyond partisanship.

This is one tough, intelligent, unflappable, and dignified woman.

Senate Panel Backs Rice
For Secretary of State

Associated Press
January 19, 2005 1:02 p.m.

WASHINGTON – The Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted 16-2 to confirm Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state after two days of hearings in which she faced strenuous Democratic assaults on the Bush administration's handling of Iraq.

Democrats John Kerry of Massachusetts and Barbara Boxer of California were the two dissenters. Ranking Democrat Joseph Biden of Delaware had said he was reluctantly voting to elevate Ms. Rice to the nation's top diplomatic job.
Oh my... Now THAT wouldn't be partisan, would it? :roll:

Interesting web site.

HOLD CONDOLEEZA RICE ACCOUNTABLE! (Babs Boxer Barf)

See Barbara Boxer lie in wait for Condoleeza. See Condi tell Barbara where to go - with dignity.

Gotta love a good fight - particularly when true character comes forth...

Gotta love some of those comments on that website... :lol:

- Bill
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Useful idiots

Gene
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Care to elaborate, Gene?

:?: :?: :?:

- Bill
Panther

Post by Panther »

Gene DeMambro wrote:Useful idiots
Very interesting that you use that phrase...

"We will find many useful idiots to further our cause." - V. I. Lenin

Generally attributed to a comment made by Lenin when referring to naive, non-Russian, pro-Communists who could be used to further Communist causes and ideals globally. The original quote was considered to be so damning that it has long since disappeared from pro-Communist sources and, in fact, there has been an active campaign (especially on the internet) from those with a "Leninesque" ideoology to refutiate it as never having been said by Lenin. However, the entire notion and concept of "useful idiots" was passed down to, known by, and carried forth by Stalin. Lenin may have never actually uttered the phrase, but Stalin made reference to those "sympathizers" who would believe any excuse, refuse to print any negativity, and feed the rest of the world the version of history he wanted them to. The term "useful idiots", whether Lenin's or not, does fit with Lenin's cynical style and attitude. The quote was supposed to come from the original USSR archives of Lenin's writings and speeches, but any proof that he actually said it (as perviously stated) has long since been "purged". There have been numerous articles and books written to show that (regardless of quote availability or not) Lenin, Stalin (Khruschev, Brezhnev, Andropov, and Gorbachev) each subscribed to the concept and principle and giving the reasons why certain people "in the west" fit the description. In some of those articles and books, there are references back to the former KGB documents which were released after the fall of the USSR and refer directly to certain individuals and their actions in the west. Some were(are) quite promenient.

Therefore, it is interesting that you would toss out that phrase... Hmmmm...

:o 8O

As Bill asks... Please elaborate...
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

I'd be happy to elaborate, Panther.

While I had heard and used the term before, and was only vaguely aware of its origins, I was re-introduced to the term by none other than....you. You used the term to refer to us steadfast Kerry supporters while debates on this forum were raging during the campaign season. You were either calling us idiots, or were calling us Communists. Only you know what you meant, but there is no need for any discourse on that. Old news, as I am firm in my anti-Communist stance....

Ignoring the Communist origins, I use the term literally. The language posted on the website Bill certainly doesn't give the feeling that the posters are a learned lot. It's the Bush partisans and true believers spewing vemon with no real substance that make them fit the bill, in my view,

That's my opinion, which is not put forward for debate, as it will never change on this matter.

Happy snow days!
Gene
Panther

Post by Panther »

Gene DeMambro wrote:I was re-introduced to the term by none other than....you.
With imitation being the sincerest form of flattery... I guess a Thank you is in order. :wink:
That's my opinion, which is not put forward for debate, as it will never change on this matter.

Happy snow days!
Gene
Good enough! Hope everyone has fun digging out of the impending blizzard. I'm going to go and make sure the front-end loader is prepped and ready for about an 8-10 hour stint! Have I mentioned lately that I'm starting to get tired of the white stuff? Do they have to shovel heat at WinterFest? I bet not! I wanna go there! :cry: :D
gmattson
Site Admin

Amazing. . .

Post by gmattson »

how a little cold weather and a few feet of snow motivates people to join us Floridians for a few days of sun and exciting martial arts.

Getting lots of applications from places like Scotland, Michigan, New York, California, New Mexico and of course, Massachusetts!

Love to see you here Panther. I invited our Harley riders to take the long journey on their bikes, but guess you'll have to put chains on them!
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Panther

Post by Panther »

GEM-sensei,

I'd love to take you up on that, but alas I haven't even plowed the last storm off of my rather long driveway! I'll be out early, early tomorrow getting things ready for the two FEET they're saying we're going to get here on Sunday! We'll also be packing in lots and lots of wood for the fireplaces! After I plow out on Sunday afternoon, I'll probably come in, sit by the fire, smoke a nice cigar and have a glass of cask-aged scotch. I've been remiss in my duties... I haven't done Sanchin in the snow this season at all... YET! The thermometer is reading -3 here right now and they're saying it's going lower tonight. Brrrrrrrr... You know it's cold when you step outside and
your nose starts to freeze inside!

And you'll be doing Sanchin on the beach.

:mrgreen: OK, that's not just a big smile, that's a big ENVIOUS smile! :lol:
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Interesting George. Applications from Scotland?

Who do we have in Scotland? :DImage
Van
gmattson
Site Admin

Our good friend

Post by gmattson »

Terry Donaghue. Terry and three other Englanders visited our dojo a couple times many years ago. Terry eventually moved to Scotland and now is teaching there.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Excellent. Now I remember.Fine person and practitioner. :D

Should be a great "Fest" plus all the Orlando fun. :)
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Gene wrote:It's the Bush partisans and true believers spewing vemon with no real substance that make them fit the bill, in my view,
It was rather anti Boxer, wouldn't you say? Rather entertaining, actually.

However I believe you are wrong on the "Bush partisans" issue, Gene. There are a lot of people out there who dislike the likes of Boxer who might think Bush is just a bit too free with the finances or not quite libertarian enough (including yours truly). I really need to give you a verbal spanking here. You know whom you remind me of with that kind of knee-jerk response? Rush Limbaugh, when he gets on one of his "liberal" tirades. Just because someone doesn't agree with Rush doesn't make them liberal. And just because someone sees Barbara Boxer as a phoney or John Edwards as a lawyer that gives lawyers a bad name (that's REALLY bad...) doesn't make them a "Bush partisan."

Shame on you, Rus... I mean Gene.
The language posted on the website Bill certainly doesn't give the feeling that the posters are a learned lot.
How about this post, Gene. I see nothing wrong with the post. All I see is factual information.
"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998.

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998.

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18,1998.

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998.

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999.

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
Letter to President Bush, Signed by Joe Lieberman (D-CT), John McCain (Rino-AZ) and others, Dec. 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandated of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them."
Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002.

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002.

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002.

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I b elieve that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002.

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Jay Rockerfeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002.

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"
Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002.

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weap ons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002.

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002.

"[W]ithout question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his contin ued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ..."
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003.
In light of your penchant for throwing peoples' words back at them - words that obviously got you emotionally hijacked - I would think you would consider that a brilliant post.

It's all about hypocracy, Gene. The display by the two who "put on a good show" was pretty pathetic. Advice and consent is one thing. Posing for the cheap seats (to use one of your own expressions) is what it is. And considering the content of the post above, it seems empty of conviction and lacking in a true sense of vision and political purpose. Just the squeaking of a rusty weathervane in the political wind.
Gene wrote:That's my opinion, which is not put forward for debate, as it will never change on this matter.
Gene if you or others didn't have the opinions you have, I would have nobody to debate with. :lol: Keep your opinions; they make you whom you are. I don't want you to change.

Meanwhile, what's not to like about Dr. Rice? Her intellectual prowess, debating skills, dignity, and people skills are phenominal. (Did you know she was once provost for Stanford University?) And her ability to be loyal while still having a point of view is something we all can aspire to.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Speaking of bad weather...

While this storm is centering its wrath on Conneticut - dumping over 2 feet of snow - we Richmonders have you topped. You do not know bad weather until you have experienced a typical Richmond ice storm. Bring your badass 4X4 down here and try to tackle some of this stuff. I'll be watching you on the six o'clock news! 8)

Hey George, go eat a fresh orange in my honor. Orlando is a special place.

- Bill
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

"The weeping Babs Boxer continues to prove that the stick up her *** really does hurt her."

"Let's hold the scum of the Senate, Barbara BoxWHORE"

"sadly we can't recall this senator.....only live in the agony which is her big mouth....."

"If anyone wanted to give the U.S. Senate an enema, I would nominate Barbara Boxer to be the recipient of the probe!"

These are the writings of the great intellectuals you refer to, Bill? Ponder those, Bill.

Yes, I did know she was once a Provost at Stanford. In her hale youth, she aspired to be a concert pianist, but a profound aversion to practicing guided her to other career paths. It isn't her intellect that bothers me, it's the continued unanswered questions pn the BUsh foreign policy and her loyalty to this President bugs me big time. I just hope that this president listens intensely to the intellectual prowess he puts in front of himn and doesn't dismiss it like he has in the past.

Gene
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yes, Gene, I acknowledged the testiness of the site in my very first post. Laughing face ( :lol: ) means funny, funny, and not "enlightened" ( :idea: ). But casting a broad net has its problems, doesn't it? Or perhaps you still fail to see that.

There was a very amusing SNL skit last night on the hearings. Did you see it? A caricature of Babs Boxer was getting a couple of audience members riled up. These couple of people "cheering" at what "Barbara" was testifying could not see that it was all a joke. Their reaction became a joke within a joke. With each piece of "evidence" that Barbara was presenting, she got more and more ridiculous until the laughter finally drowned out these cheers. It was embarrassing and funny at the same time. It ended with "Condi" asking "Barbara" which Secretary of State business card she liked best. :P It was reminiscent of a Teflon Bill Clinton skit in the 1990s.
Gene wrote:I just hope that this president listens intensely to the intellectual prowess he puts in front of himn and doesn't dismiss it like he has in the past.
And when will we know he has done that, Gene? When he gets plastic surgery to lengthen his face and rambles with circumlocution? When he changes his positions with the political winds? When his point of view {gasp} agrees with yours? If so, don't hold your breath; it wouldn't be healthy for you... ;)

- Bill

Return to “Realist Training”