M. Moore's armed bodyguard arrested on gun charge!

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Thanks for joining the thread. Great website. I'll see if I can find the stats I was referring to. I did not bookmark the site but should have. The disparity may also come from what the definition of a violent crime is, or crime in general.

The US has a particularly nasty drug and gang culture. Richmond sits on Interstate 95 between the northeast and southeast and is a convenient stopping place in the trade so our city has a high rate as well. The real violence is in very well defined areas so it can be avoided. Most of the murders are within this culture.

Nobody steps out back and just slugs it out anymore. If you feel dissed you must save face. A gun or knife is the tool of the trade in this violent subculture.

The Wall Street Journal recently discussed the subject. As the prisoner population doubled in the last 15 years, violent crime was cut in half to historically low levels. They had some neat graphs. I do not subscribe online to the WSJ so cannot post the info.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
IJ

Post by IJ »

I think because everyone is locked up for drug charges, or drug related gang and theft and assault charges, and this country has an asinine policy to:

1) remove the legislation of substances from where it ought to rest, and hand it over to the DEA, who will just make a substance whatever schedule they want on a whim (pot comes to mind), a move that was made at a time the left was associated with drugs and pot and looked like it needed some federal control...

2) punish instead of assist drug addicts

3) continue to blow cash on a famously ineffective drug war that hasn't slowed the tide of drugs or bothered the higher ups to much but exacts a deadly toll among those who turn to sales because they have limited other options...

[looks like Rich and I were simulposting]
--Ian
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

When are you going to visit Richmond for a day at the range? Great fun.
After I get my Mass LTC (application pending). Then I'll apply for a non-res VA permit, and then I shall take you up on your generous offer!

Gotta pick a day when Bill's out of town. I don't want to be on the roads at the same time and place as him. Have you seen how he drives (tongue planted so firmly in cheek it hurts :wink: )

Gene
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Gene: Yes, the offer is there.

I have been with Bill in a car and it is exciting.

If you are planning to get a non res CHP the best one is Florida. It is good in over 25 states, including VA. That one is the best bang for the buck. If you do not have the firearms training to get a CHP many states will accept my certification of your ability. Last March I ran the RI test for Raffi D. when he visited. So, if you visit, I'll run a CHP session for you.

Regards, Rich
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Does NRA Basic Pistol count?

Gene
Panther

Post by Panther »

Gene,

When you get your Mass LTC, all you have to do is get the paperwork from FL (IIRC, it's available online, or call the FL Secy of State's office), fill it out, get a couple of passport sized pictures taken, have your local PD do the fingerprint card (some PDs will do the prints & pictures for $10-30), mail it all to the FL secy of state's office... (include a copy of the front & back of your MA LTC) along with the fee (used to be $20), and they'll send you the FL non-resident LTC. Gettting NH non-resident is the same way when you send them a copy of your MA LTC.

If you don't want to wait for your MA LTC to do that and just want to apply for the non-residents, then you have to take their course. NH allows for NRA basic pistol, I don't know about FL.
==================================
My God-given Rights are NOT "void where prohibited by law!"
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Virginia acepts the NRA basic pistol course. That is my default class for friends unless they want something more involved.

I have a FL application around here somewhere and if I find it I'll see what it says about training requirements. I do believe that they accept any NRA course.

Or, go to packing.org and click on the FL site. That organization is pretty thorough.

Rich
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

I shall take your woinderful advice under advicement, gentlemen.

Gracias,
Gene
chewy

LTC & reewal question

Post by chewy »

Hi guys. I currently have a ClassA permit in MA and it is up for renewal this October. I've been hearing horror stories about delays in the renewal process (some so long that they make you start from scratch in the application process). Two questions:

- How long before my current permit's expiration should I start the renewal process?

- On my original application I listed my "intended use" as "all lawful purposes. Unfortunately the head honcho in Hudson decided to reject this and listed my "Reason for Issueing licence" as "hunting/sporting". Is there a way I can protest this? Is it even a good idea to do so? I'm originally from Upstate NY and don't remember things being this restrictive. Mind you, I have no intention of carrying conceeled... its just the principle of the thing... I'm upstanding citizen with no criminal record.

As an aside.... good points IJ. A good example of our government treating the symptoms but not the problem (much like our gun laws).

cheers,

chewy
Panther

Post by Panther »

Chewy,

There really is no way to "protest" this. The law is very specific and the issuance is upto "the Chief's discretion". He can turn you down just because he wants to. You could take your case to the new Firearms Licensing Review Board, but you're supposed to try to resolve the issues yourself before you go to them. I'd strongly suggest that you try contacting one of the following attorneys about your situation. They specialize in firearms licensing issues.

Keith Langer (www.langerlaw.com)

Jesse Cohen (www.attorneycohen.com)

or Darius Arbabi (he's on the GOAL board of directors... www.goal.org)

I'd talk with any of them about your situation. Last I heard, if the chief gives you a "restricted" license, then you can't go after him in MA because he hasn't "denied" you... even if you have less of a criminal record than his own staff.

That's just the way it is in the People's Republic of Massachusetts (PRoMA)... and a big reason why so many folks opt to leave this state for
more "freedom-friendly" climates to the North, South or West.

Good Luck.

Return to “Realist Training”