Friends don't let stupid friends drive SUVs

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Panther

Post by Panther »

This is actually fun on some level...

My "record" was going door to door from Northern MA to Western
Carolina in under 12 hours with three fuel stops. It was the day I
got the news of my Daddy passing away unexpectedly. I left work,
went home, packed a bag and took off. I could have cared less
about highway patrol lights going on... I WAS careful, but I was
fast. The trip on the odometer was between 1000-1100 miles. Needless
to say, the 120 speedo was buried many times...

Ummmm... Naturally, for any LEOs reading, this is just a tall tale...
that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :wink:

One car that no one has mentioned and that I really loved to drive
in my younger days (was owned by a friend of my Daddy and the
nice man let me drive a "real car" lots of times) was an old 48 MG-TC.
Top speed was about 90mph, but the thing had such a low center of
gravity that it would corner at... about 90mph! When I had it and the
other guys wanted to race, I'd talk them into going up on the twisty
roads in the mountains instead of on any straight stretches... worked
every time.

Another car that I was able to borrow in my youth that I fell in love
with was a Jaguar (never could pronounce it like the commercial) E-type.
Smooth as glass at 160... V-12... passed anything... but a service station!

But I'm still partial to the AMX in the garage...

And the Harley... of course...

So... Rich... Bill... How's the real estate hunting going for my new digs down
in Virginia way? You two could do a friend a favor and help buy me just the right place to live... right? Friends... right? :mrgreen:

(I am SO tired of this white crap... :roll: )
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

To prove I do not have an anti German car bias here is a brief repport on a Popular Mechanics road test/comparison between the VW Jetta TDI (diesel) and the Toyota Prius hybrid.

PM reports the following mileage:

VW - 31.6 city, 53 hwy
Prius - 32.9 city, 56.2 hwy

VW price as tested- $19,245
Prius price as tested- $25,939

Buy the diesel.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

When I buy a vehicle I look for reliability first. being a good tow vehicle was second. Off roading is a distant third but it has exceeded my needs.

So, what is the proof? Here is the JD Power long term report for the Tahoe (this is for the 2001 version which mine really is)"

Mechanical Dependability Among the best
Feature & Accessory Dependability Better than most
Body & Interior Dependability Among the best
Overall Dependability Among the best

Need I say more?

The German companies would kill for long term ratings like that!

Rich
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Bart: Richmond is getting pricier but is still right at the nation's mid point for affordability in some study I saw recently. However, if you live one county out from the metro area homes and property are very reasonable.

Rich
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

"My favored VW Touareg made the top 10"

J D Power ave the 2004 Toureg 2 stars out of 5 on overall quality... below average. Not a vehicle I'd spend my $$ on.

Rich
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rich wrote: J D Power ave the 2004 Toureg 2 stars out of 5 on overall quality... below average. Not a vehicle I'd spend my $$ on.
J D Power is looking at the overall quality of a Touareg with either a VW V6 or Audi V8 gasoline engine in it. Neither of these, Rich, are the vehicles I am interested in. They are also primarily looking at the traditional mechanical suspension. Once again...

Because of the anti-diesel bias in the U.S., VW/Audi has not made a serious attempt to market the V10 TDI. As you know, diesels in general are amongst the most reliable and long lasting of engines.

Most other reviews have put everything but the engine in the Touareg as top of class in quality. The fit and finish in particular are remarkable.

Other issues, Rich, are primarily "new vehicle" issues. Do me a favor. Go to the bookstore, and get a copy of Consumer Reports. Look year by year at the reliability records of the VW Passat. It went from being worst to best in class. Best not to buy an early year VW. They and Audi tend to push the envelope in design, and work the bugs out in production. First to market translates to dollars. That's their business niche. I can show you a good book on that. It uses McDonalds, Wendy's, and Burger King as three prototypes of the three main niches in the business world. VW/Audi basically is a Wendy's model (innovation). Toyota would be McDonald's (limited choice with operational excellence).

Speaking of diesels, check out the new Mercedes Diesel in Ward's Auto Top Ten...

..........................................Image

....................DaimlerChrysler Mercedes 3.2L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel

...and the ugly remarks about the upcoming Jeep liberty diesel engine...

..........................................Image

....................Give Me Diesel or Give Me Death!

It ain't the design so much as the execution! ;)

And as for your badmouthing hybrids, well this is the wave of the future, Rich. This is what I've been preaching all along. Give me a hybrid with performance!

....................Honda Accord Hybrid Does It All

Stay tuned for the Lexus RX400h. :wink:

- Bill

P.S. I have another article up my sleeve for both you and Panther. I've been too busy to post it. Very interesting design that will go mainstream very soon!
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

"And as for your badmouthing hybrids,"

I do not badmouth hybrids. I just am not enamored with them. In the real world they do not come close to meeting the economy projections. And, they are complex. In 5 years there will be a wave of 'aw $hits' coming from owners used to long term reliability and serviciablity of vehicles.

I'll check out the Libery diesel info. I'm interested in the Gladiator concept but that is 5 years out for me. That will give it time to evolve.

Regaring VW quality, if it has initial poor quality that says a lot about what it will do long term. Adding a comlpex suspension or engine will not help overall reliability. If you believe what you say a Toureg TDI would be in your driveway, no?

Lend me your copy of Consumer reports. I'll return it.

Rich
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rich wrote: Regaring VW quality, if it has initial poor quality that says a lot about what it will do long term.
No. You don't seem to understand this. We're not talking about quality in the same vehicle. We're talking about CQI in the production process after seeing how your "bleeding edge" technology works in production. Second, third, fourth, and fifth year models get better and better.

Toyota meanwhile will take old technology, and build a dependable and completely boring vehicle. That's their niche.

This is not "right" or "wrong", Rich. These are two different market niches. The customers are out there to buy things that you consider "inferior." Not everyone has your tastes. (Or mine, for that matter...) The world would be a boring place if they did.
Rich wrote: Adding a comlpex suspension or engine will not help overall reliability.
By definition diesels are less complex than conventional gasoline engines. What makes the newer ones good has more to do with improved injection technology.

And air suspensions - as it turns out - are not new. And they really are quite simple. Moreover, having such a thing gives you possibilities that you cannot achieve with conventional mechanical (and in the case of some, electromechanical) types.
Rich wrote: If you believe what you say a Toureg TDI would be in your driveway, no?
You aren't understanding what I'm telling you, Rich, and you must not be reading automotive news and following up on U.S. diesel laws and environmental regulations.

Fully 50% of what is sold in Europe is diesel - much of it from Audi/VW. They aren't hung up with it over there like our environmentalists are over here. And their diesel fuel is cleaner (we are catching up...). And they are way ahead of us on production of biodiesel.

Furthermore... It is well known that Europeans (like me) hold onto their cars for a very long time. This is another reason why the diesels stay over there, and have a hard time making it over here. The typical American driver will never fully appreciate its value if they want to trade up every few years.

Our country ***** on consumer diesel technology, and our legislators/enviornmentalists have their heads where the moon doesn't shine. VW has the V10 TDI in production, but has made a business decision not to push it in a market not receptive to it because of all the crap. They'd rather make all of them for the domestic market, where the wait for them is phenominal.

And right now with it made in Europe, we can't afford it. Our dollar isn't worth squat today w.r.t. the Euro. That may change... But for now, they'll have to do like Daimler Chrysler and the Japanese, and make stuff over here where labor can be paid in cheap dollars.

I visit the VW dealers regularly. They know what I want. They can't get it.
Rich wrote: Lend me your copy of Consumer reports. I'll return it.

I do what I'm suggesting you do, Rich. I peruse the magazines in the bookstore. I buy one out of three that I peruse. I may have bought one of these in the past, but I wouldn't be able to find it.

It doesn't take any time to look up these stats in the yearly Consumer Reports car issue. And they are in every bookstore. It's the charts in the back with the red and black circles.
Rich wrote:I do not badmouth hybrids. I just am not enamored with them. In the real world they do not come close to meeting the economy projections. And, they are complex. In 5 years there will be a wave of 'aw $hits' coming from owners used to long term reliability and serviciablity of vehicles.
Sounds like badmouthing to me... :wink:

I do not share your lack of faith. And I'm the kind of person who for instance bought Virginia wines before they got good. My purchases helped the industry develop to a world class status - despite what the naysayers said. I had vision here... ;)

What I want from a hybrid though is different from what a tree hugger wants. The manufacturers are finally "getting" that.

Stay tuned for this article I have up my sleeve... ;)

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

"Stay tuned for this article I have up my sleeve"

Standing by.

"No. You don't seem to understand this. We're not talking about quality in the same vehicle. We're talking about CQI in the production process after seeing how your "bleeding edge" technology works in production. Second, third, fourth, and fifth year models get better and better."

German automobile quality has been below average for years. Look at J D Powers long term surveys. They are somehow surviving on thier past reputation. Eventually it will catch up with them.

" You aren't understanding what I'm telling you, Rich, and you must not be reading automotive news and following up on U.S. diesel laws and environmental regulations. "

I am probably years ahead of you in understanding the clean air regulations. Many projects I did or was involved in were directly related to petro producers and refiners. The clean air act that required lower sulpher gasoline drove $billions in business for my GE division. After that was done the projects to meet the standards for low sulpher diesel kicked in to meet the 2006 requirements.

These projects took years to design, build, debug and start up. I had my hands on them in 1998 as Mobil Oil (pre Exxon merger and HQ'd in NOVA) was my corporate account. I actually worked with the corporate engineering departments on these projects as they required hundreds of thousands of HP to drive the compressors that they purchased from compressor manufacturers, who were also some of my corporate accounts.

I know the regs and the nuts and bolts of it Bill. Have you ever even been in a refinery?

As for diesel engines, I also have a solid background in them as well. The large commercial and industrial diesels are indeed designed and built to run for millions of miles, or if a stationary unit, for tens of thousands of hours. Here is where I will burst your bubble... the automoble diesels are not derivitives of commercial units. They are designed and built for the consumer automotive market. They are not going to run as long as a CAT engine without complete overhauls. Consumers are not going to do this.

"They know what I want. They can't get it. "

That is true. It will likely be another year. Hopefully you will take me for a ride in it next year.

Rich
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rich

I (we) owned a Mercedes diesel (240D). It ran for hundreds of thousands of miles. Brother-in-law had a 300D. It ran for over a quarter million miles of California driving. I believe it is still "alive" today. Those engines had nothing to do with CAT, and CAT has nothing on them.

No need to burst anyone's bubble.

Article is at above link.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Currently in the United States, diesel engines are an option over the standard gasoline engines, adding a few thousand dollars to the cost of a new vehicle. Although buying a diesel engine is a higher monetary investment initially, automakers say diesel engines make up this cost difference within just three years from fuel savings alone. Diesel engines also add greater resale value to pickups and SUVs due to their longevity.
- Motorpoint

In Europe, diesel-powered cars and trucks have been a way of life for half a century, but in North America diesels have come and gone in limited popularity, usually bought by European transplants, or those who are well aware of the longevity of diesel engines and the outstanding inherent economical qualities they possess.
- Autonet
Van Canna

My Passat

Post by Van Canna »

Is two years old. Never a problem. Great performer/AWD
she owns the snow covered roadways.

Comfortable, good looking, and precise as a swiss watch. :wink:
Van
Van Canna

This just might replace my Type S _ Acura TL, next year.

Post by Van Canna »

http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/srt8-magnum.html

But what of this, Bill?
Pros :
- Stand-out styling.
- Massive power and torque.
- Huge interior.
- Good handling.
- Excellent value for money.

Cons :
- Stand-out styling.
- Blind spots all over.