Six-and-a-half minutes of horror

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Panther

Post by Panther »

Gene DeMambro wrote:Panther,

I'm looking to buy property. When you decide to move-like you've been saying for years-give me a call when you put your homestead up for sale. 49 other states, a Dictrict of Columbia and a whole host of possessions and territories to choose from. After all, it's a free country...so far.

Cheers,
Gene
My place is on the market and has been for awhile. It was on the market a few years ago, but there were personal reasons (death in the family, illness, others) why my place was pulled from the market and I had to delay putting it back on the market. It's back on the market now. If you really are interested, send me the information showing that you are pre-qualified for $1,000,000.00 on a mortgage and we can talk. (No that's not a joke, that's the reduced price tag... not even the current "asking" price.) If you want to search for it on MLS, fine. If you're looking in that area and have the money, then I'll sell to you. Seriously! In fact, I talked with the RE agent yesterday.

But I suspect that, regardless of your attempted insult, you Gene, in your wildest dreams couldn't afford my "homestead", so save yourself the time.

If it's a free country, why is it costing me so much to live? :P
IJ

Post by IJ »

Panther,

1) Let me know if I can get you a script for Valium.

2) I agree with you that this guy shouldn't have been charged and the would be molester should have been arrested on the spot

3) IF anyone tried that nonsense with me, I absolutely would defend my kid (or another kid) with whatever force was necessary. HAD I been there, however, I don't think I would have needed to hit the guy. I wouldn't have entered his stall; if he came out of it, I would have to make a quick decision about whether I would try to physically or verbally restrain him or bug out. Going AGAINST the combat option are the fact this guy was evidently readily identifiable as a store employee and probably NOT an ongoing threat to the father or son. FOR the fight would be the fact that he might scram, that I'd be really mad, and that at 71, I could probably restrain the guy without little risk to myself OR him. This is key--I could tie him up while I sent the boy out for 911, and what we'd have would be a restrained perp and no injuries to whine about (admittedly, touching another person is a crime, but I'd take the risk).

Meanwhile, who's doing what about the attorney general? Is there a place to send emails? An election coming up? A news investigation on her prosecution of good citizens to promote? I'm eager to know what's doable here besides planning to move--which to me sounds as productive as the liberals who swore they'd flee to Canada to avoid another round with Bush.

Also, anyone keep tabs on this type of event? Maybe someone's already done all the homework behind your conclusion.
--Ian
Panther

Post by Panther »

Responded in private...
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

So, all legal matters and such aside, could anyone really stand there and watch this without doing something about it. I'm pretty sure I would have lost my sense of self, and acted out of animal instinct. Not to say I'm a karate master or anything, but geez, that's a little beyond the pale, guys. Seeing something like that might make me a little crazy, if you know what I mean.
IJ

Post by IJ »

You don't know till it happens. Good news for me, so far, is that I was once attacked in high school by a group, and was effectively paralyzed. When it happened in college when I was a brownbelt, all I felt was rage and I had an instant battle plan (but chose to run). I can only hope that if my skills are needed when flilght is no option, I react as trained / planned. Another thing is that since 9/11 I imagine situations where overwhelming terror have to be faced head on. Again, I hope that putting myself through that mentally will allow me to act if it happens. No program, no action, so you have to be prepped. Karate and jiujitsu thoughts cross my mind but environmental ideas usually precede them, eg, finding weapons close to me, whether lethal, distracting, or disabling.

Thinking about this reminds me of the astonishing burden realized by ordinary citizens on that last flight headed for Congress, and the sheer will and courage these non-combatants mustered to stop the final attack. I don't think they've gotten quite the press they should have, saving not just hundreds of lives but the seat of our government.
--Ian

Return to “Realist Training”