Death row inmate claims allergy to lethal injection

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
CANDANeh

Death row inmate claims allergy to lethal injection

Post by CANDANeh »

Durr is sentenced to die next Tuesday for the 1988 rape and murder of 16-year-old Angel Vincent. He faces a single injection of thiopental sodium, rather than the traditional three-chemical cocktail used for such executions. Ohio last year became the first state to switch to the one-hit lethal anaesthesia method.

His lawyers, however, say that they've found evidence of Durr's allergy in his 800-page prison medical records. If correct, this compromises Ohio's commitment to suffering-free capital punishment.

Defense attorney Kathleen McGarry said: "One of the things the Ohio Constitution guarantees is that he has a quick and painless execution.
Hives? Beats old fashioned rope burn around the neck.
No death sentence in Canada unfortunately so my comments limited. In my opinion if the punishment is death it should mirror the pain he gave the victim.
Léo
Panther

Post by Panther »

I suppose if he were to be executed by firing squad he'd claim an allergy to lead...

I agree, the execution should have as much pain as the murder had... The perp didn't care about the pain and suffering of their victims, why should we care about hurting the perps feelings?

Just another reason why I believe in "Instant Karma". Let these attackers meet a well-informed, well-regulated (meaning well-trained), well-armed potential victim that commits medieval self-defense!

:2gunfire:
==================================
My God-given Rights are NOT "void where prohibited by law!"
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

It was just a desperate appeal. The appeal didn't work, but the execution by lethal injection, performed on-schedule and as originally planned, did.

Nothing could be better than killing a killer in the act. Cheap, too.

I've always believed in the death penalty in principle, but unfortunately the more I see, the less faith I have in our justice system when it comes to highly publicized, highly emotional cases. What I find most disturbing is that prosecutors frequently cannot even "let go" of a conviction in their own mind when a defendant has been proven innocent beyond a reasonable doubt by new evidence.
Mike
Panther

Post by Panther »

mhosea wrote:I've always believed in the death penalty in principle, but unfortunately the more I see, the less faith I have in our justice system when it comes to highly publicized, highly emotional cases. What I find most disturbing is that prosecutors frequently cannot even "let go" of a conviction in their own mind when a defendant has been proven innocent beyond a reasonable doubt by new evidence.
I used to believe in capital punishment carried out by the State and still think it can be applied under very limited circumstances. That is why I said I was more in favor of "instant karma" where the would-be perp is taken care of by the would-be victim. I also don't believe there should be any prosecution against the would-be victim for saving the rest of society the trouble of having to deal with the (former) would-be perp. However, in general I have become opposed to capital punishment based on the fact that too many politically-motivated prosecutors and others have provably "railroaded" too many innocent people over the years. People who, through more modern technology, have been proven to be completely innocent. If they had been put to death, there is no way to correct such miscarriage of "justice". As it stands, there is still no actual penalty against those who knowingly "railroad" an innocent person and even though there isn't a penalty against them, as you point out, many of these prosecutors and others remain adamant about keeping the proven innocent person incarcerated! That is disgusting and despicable... and gives the good peace officers and prosecutors a bad name.

So the very limited circumstances where I am for capital punishment are those (very rare) cases where there is a (non-coerced) confession and/or irrefutable, independently and multiply verified evidence. I know that's a tall order, but without that how can we be certain that some prosecutor isn't just carrying out the charges for their own nefarious agenda. When I was young and naive I would have never felt that way, but the cases where that has happened, for many different reasons, have come to light more and more in recent decades. Now that it takes nothing more than the stroke of a pen to declare anyone an "enemy combatant" for any reason... even simply speaking one's own mind, I am even more adamantly against capital punishment. Historically, once people can be incarcerated for speaking up and disagreeing with the powers-that-be, it isn't long before they can be executed for that same "offense".

I am friends with some septuagenarians and octogenarians who grew up in 1930s Germany, so please don't tell me that "it can't happen here". That's what they heard as kids growing up too...
IJ

Post by IJ »

"I agree, the execution should have as much pain as the murder had... The perp didn't care about the pain and suffering of their victims, why should we care about hurting the perps feelings?"

I share the emotion, but I have the thought:

"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_Ame ... nstitution

Agreed completely that some human monsters need to be destroyed like violent pit bulls--and that issues with inaccurate application limit the frequency with which this can be done.
--Ian
Panther

Post by Panther »

Yes Ian, that was a purely emotional statement, but please note that my next post essentially states that I don't believe in capital punishment (with very, very, very limited exception). I much prefer the "Instant Karma" route where the would-be victim removes the would-be perp from the gene pool. No Issue with the 8th... When that utopia doesn't happen, the very, very, very limited conditions are unequivocal, un-fabricated proof or un-coerced confession in a capital crime. Yes, that's a nearly impossible standard, but there have been too many people through-out history around the world who have been railroaded for too many reasons that I simply don't want any power that represents me in any way to be allowed the possibility of railroading an innocent person.
IJ

Post by IJ »

Sounds like we're in complete agreement. On a show called "Impact" I met a young man who was at a shotgun massacre at a supermarket. He was shot back to chest and coughing up blood, was then downed with a blast that removed much of his forearm, and then left to die. Outside much effort was made to bring the killer in alive as he was threatening suicide. Meanwhile his victims are dying. And snipers have a bead on this animal.

Need I say more?

At least the kid survived and faced mostly issues putting his arm back together.
--Ian
Panther

Post by Panther »

IJ wrote:Sounds like we're in complete agreement.
Who'da thunk... :D
On a show called "Impact" I met a young man who was at a shotgun massacre at a supermarket. He was shot back to chest and coughing up blood, was then downed with a blast that removed much of his forearm, and then left to die.
For a Doctor, that has got to be a tough situation. Glad there are folks out there dedicated to helping the innocent victims. My gratitude, appreciation, solemn thanks to all such "angels" in the world.
Outside much effort was made to bring the killer in alive as he was threatening suicide. Meanwhile his victims are dying. And snipers have a bead on this animal.

Need I say more?
If Lon Horiuchi can pull the trigger on an unarmed mother holding a baby, then I don't have a problem with a trigger-finger "slipping" in this case.
At least the kid survived and faced mostly issues putting his arm back together.
Many tough things for someone to deal with, but those things can only be considered and dealt with because of survival. It will always fry me when innocent people (especially children) are harmed because of negligence or dirtbags.

Take care... and thanks... truly.

Return to “Realist Training”