Lets discuss specifics

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
gmattson
Site Admin

Lets discuss specifics

Post by gmattson »

Although our lawyer participants will probably carefully limit the nature of their advice, they will be able to discuss and debate issues relating to topics of interest and concern to the martial art's community.

I recommend that specific questions are asked, but that no names are used.

Any person can participate in the discussion, but please note opinion from law.

George E. Mattson
david

Lets discuss specifics

Post by david »

Sensei,

>>I recommend that specific questions are asked, but that no names are
used.<<

I am lost. How do you post questions without using your name? These forums require registration. Perhaps, I can come back in with an alias... <g>

david
gmattson
Site Admin

Lets discuss specifics

Post by gmattson »

I was not clear David. Please use your own name as the poster, but if you wish to discuss a specific situation involving people, I recommend not using their names. Whenever possible, discuss issues rather than individuals.

Hope this helps clarify my earlier post.

[This message has been edited by gmattson (edited 09-22-98).]
Kevin Mackie

Lets discuss specifics

Post by Kevin Mackie »

Cecil- Good question. Here's a non-lawer's response.

I don't believe that the age of the assailant should dictate your victim's response. If the attackers managed to kill the victim, they may very likely be treated as adults in a court of law.

The stock answer to your question may be "just enough force to put down the threat or escape". Then again , are there any witnesses to the attack and can the victim/defender be identified? And would the attackers complain to anyone if they got a well deserved thrashing?

In the situation you descibe, one should worry about the primary goal of self preservation without regard for legal actions.

If one were to continually worry about legal consequences of our actions, we wouldn't drive, own dogs, sell hot coffee etc...

VTY
Kevin
Cecil

Lets discuss specifics

Post by Cecil »

Here is a fictitious, yet probable scenario:

An adult martial artist is attacked by two unarmed AND one armed (with a knife or bat) TEENAGE assailants (three total). The attack takes place when the artist is walking home How much force is allowed, under the law, to protect oneself.

Cecil the Questioning

Return to “Realist Training”