Take what's there

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Bill Bauknecht

Take what's there

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

When approaching your explosion distance, you might be aware of the
opponent's hands and arms. They hang out there in front of him,
begging to be noticed. So why not? When you develope extreme
explosive power it doesn't really matter what you strike. If the blow
doesn't hit a vital area, it certainly will set up your next strike which will
be a "stopper." Take what is given. Never look for something that is
not there. Never plan ahead for that favorite technique you've been
working on. If it's right there in front of you, be it arm or leg, take it out.

The distance is getting pretty close here in #24. The same principle for
the tight, hard, explosive body punch holds true here. Its easier than
going all the way in to shoot that punch to the body. Simply rock right
into the hand or wrist of the target. With proper mechanics, you'll hit
that hand everytime. Photo #24A begins the power roll and #24B shows
the impact to the hand area.

At the impact your hand should rip back into it's power set up for it's
next delivery as seen earlier in photo #10B. Photo #24C just gives
another look at the same situation with a different impact area. Power
punching to this area takes it's toll on that arm. This shot tends to do
more than just hurt the arm of the target. This part of the arm is sensitive
to any impact.

You can see from #24B or #24C, that the left punch or right shin thrust
is ready to fire next. Don't look for openings-make them.

PHOTOS 25- 25E and #26, 26A: -----PICTURES FROM TEXT DID NOT MAKE IT HERE. SORRY. HAVE VIDEOS ON ALL THIS MATERIAL.
Now here's a little something that will get anyone's attention real quick. I call it the radial strike because of the hitting surface of the arm. The bone that runs along the thumb side of the forearm is called the radius. This section of the arm just might be the strongest and hardest hitting of them all. The reason that most do not see it that way is that they haven't been hit with it yet. I hope that you never are.
This radial strike is very powerful when blocking either kicks or punches. When the arm is in that slight arc I keep talking about, the results are excellent. Just imagine the arc of a boomerang or banana. That's it.

This works best from nose biting distance. If it's possible to get the target in a frontal head lock then it's really time for this strike. From the photos, it almost looks like a punch to the invisible target standing behind Bill as in photo #25B.

The sickle like strike of the radius is brought back to the lower section of the head in a slicing motion of the arm as in #25C.
When all stopping strikes are registered, this one just might be in first place.

In #25D, another view of the radial strike shows the arc of the arm in delivering this blow. Here's a close look in photo #25E of the arm's arc and the hitting area.

[Image

Practice these on a bag and I'll see you next week.
Art
Art Rabesa

Re: Take what's there

Post by Art Rabesa »

The leg thrusts that I teach will do quite a job on the hands and arms of who ever is trying to block them. I actually want the hands to go after these leg thrusts. These thrusts hit with the shin. The shin will rip into the arm ,or hand, of the bad guy with bad intentions. When you work these leg thrusts properly, they become quite a weapon. Check them out on my web site ----www.artrabesauechikarate.com --------click on the leg thrust section of the wheel, and go to the videos . You will see here what I refer to. -------Happy Trails--------Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Let me just follow up briefly on the above post. When the competitive fighting is over , you just want to be able to practice uechi ryu . In this mind set, you find hidden treasures. This broadens your awareness of things. One of these things is the power base you have developed through hard sanchin training. This has suddenly given you the ability to unload your strikes very fast, hitting with a lot of power. OK, now what? Now, you find that exploding these leg thrusts into any part of the target results in a lot of damage. Now you are not looking at any part of the body to deliver a strike. It does not matter what you hit. Whatever you hit will be damaged and bring great discomfort. I used the word "discomfort", because I thought it sounded better than pain. So now you simply "takes what's there". It doesn't matter. Hit anything. Don't look for an opening --- make one. ----Happy Trails====Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

I go over all the posts I put up. I like to see if I forgot anything important. Of course I usually do find something I forgot to mention. In going over the above post, I'd just like to add this little PS. After a long period of training, one realizes that hitting fast and hard seems to be what you really need. Not fighting. Just to be able to "move fast and hit hard". Doesn't matter what you hit, because you can hit so hard. When I think of defending myself, I think of simply firing those strikes very fast and letting them explode. I do not care what I hit. I'm going to hit something. So-----keep working on delivering your strikes quickly with power. I did the web site to help do this very thing. You only need two things. "HIT FAST & HIT HARD. Everything else is important in your overall training, but these two things will take you a long way. ------Happy Trails------Art
Art Rabesa
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Well said Art .agreed.
max ainley
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

What is ALWAYS there is the front leg. He has to put either foot forward. I don't care what foot he puts forward. "Well! If the right foot is forward I've got this technique. However! If the left foot is forward I can do this technique. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Work hard on exploding your front leg into his front leg. Why? Because it is there. Get into your fighting stance with a partner. How far away is your front foot from his (or her) front foot. Very close, right? With a little slide or skip, you can fire your shin into that forward leg. Keep that front elbow on your hip so you can rocket that open hand to the head when your shin hits. I invite you to my web site to check this out. Leg thrust clip. www.artrabesauechikarate.com -------Keep it simple. -----Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

I've written quite a few posts on this forum and Van's. This is one subject I'm really strong on. I am a nut on working the leg thrusts into the lower section of the body. You do not set anything up - you are not in competitive fighting. You are simply smashing that front leg to end the danger that he is planning. I know he is planning it because I can read it. My thinking is always the same here. I'm going to draw my gun first. Now I have to contend with a bad guy with a very injured leg. That ups the odds in my favor quite a bit. I'm pretty sure I can take it from here. So what is the one technique that I work the most? You know damn well what it is. ---Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

This is a topic I posted quite awhile ago. You can see the section from my "Explosive Karate" book, where the photo's didn't make it. Technology?? Bill helped me post this when I was learning how to use this damn PC. "Take what's there", simply refers to hitting what happens to be there. Striking it very fast and very hard. Not much in the way of a fighting technique, but it can really upset the other guys thought process. These power hits are not KO strikes but they do set up that KO. In my tournament years, I remember some impacts that really made me wobble. Some kicks I took off my arms or legs that went right to the marrow. They made my hair hurt ( ya, I had hair back then ). I learned very early that hitting what was there had a great deal to do with the outcome of a fight. I also learned that trying to find an opening was the wrong way to go. I went to making an opening instead. To practice striking fast and hard, will set you up for the opening you are seeking. That brought me to the leg thrusts I practice and teach. These are not concerned with hands or arms being in the way. Quite frankly, I want that arm to try and block these leg thrusts. I've posted some links of these leg thrusts on this forum. The striking of the hands from the power base of sanchin, will explode into the arms, body, or head with stopping results. When the body gets hit with these power blows, it can result in that body not functioning any further. When you ask those who train with me what is the most important thing in fighting? Their answer will most likely be ----Move Fast Hit Hard----. Happy Trails---Art
Art Rabesa
Maurice Soque

Post by Maurice Soque »

Move Fast Hit Hard ... I have heard that before ! :lol:
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

This topic was posted in 2008. I thought I'd bring it to the top of this forum again to be viewed. In going over it, I found myself simply reading it from the outside looking in. It goes hand and hand with the KISS (keep it simple stupid) thread. Now--this is what I practice and teach . To strike what is there fast and hard. Nothing really fancy, just get the job done. We're not competing any more. My videos of the leg thrusts and close power hitting is what I'm referring to. Practicing, and teaching traditional Uechi Ryu is still my first priority. However, moving fast and hitting hard will always be right there with it. ---------Happy Trails------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Bill is no longer with us. I like seeing his name here as the author. Makes me smile ------------ His friend Art
Art Rabesa
Maurice Soque

Post by Maurice Soque »

Yesterday the 24th I was remembering training with Bill Bauknecht in the Falmouth dojo...just out of the blue. We made Shodan together on Thompson Island - Boston, MA. Sept 1981 in front of Master Tomoyose. Today his son David Bauknecht sent me a text wishing me a Merry Xmas. Bill was there when his son David made his Shodan several years back, it was a proud moment for him.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

God bless that man. He was most outstanding as a karate student, teacher and mostly as a friend. He'd give you the shirt off his back. This is what Uechi has meant to me over the years...the forging of bonds of friendship and respect with people of grand characters.

Rest in peace my friend.
Van

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”