training injury's

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

training injury's

Post by Art Rabesa »

Back in 2008 I posted a segment on joints and muscles, pertaining to injury's. Since I had some joint and muscle setbacks in my early years of training, I thought I should post this. This goes along with my belief on stressing mechanics right away in the teaching. When trusting or kicking in the beginning of a students training, proper attention should be paid to mechanics. At this stage of training, muscle or tendon injury can be common. To over extend the elbow or knee is another common injury here. Going over how not to thrust or kick will help. Teach proper body mechanics right away to lessen these joint and muscle injury's. ------Happy Trails -------- Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: training injury's

Post by Art Rabesa »

A quick follow up on injuries. It is essential to have ice ready in your dojo. Those shin and forearm bruises can really slow down your training. Conditioning is really important, but you can still receive some tough strikes that can cause lots of discomfort.I had a small fridge in my dojo just to keep ice cups available. Take small paper cups and fill some with water. Put them in the freezer of the fridge. They really come in handy for bruising. Tear off the right amount on the top of the cup. Use small circular movements on the bruised area. This is needed right away. This will stop further damage and allow the area to heal faster. My daughter is an athletic trainer, and she will put ice on anything. When in doubt - ice it-because ice will never harm you. PLUS ice is nice to have around, just in case your going to have a party. -----Happy Trails ----- Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

This will take a little getting use to. That shin on shin. That instep into the elbow. That forearm from a shin thrust. We've all had these happen during training. The VERY first thing you should do is this. Use your finger tips and rub the bruised area in a circular fashion. Get in there. It might bring tears to your eyes, but it will also get blood and O2 to the injury. You must follow this up with ice, of course. I've had success with this method, but it is not easy. Hurts like hell. When I trained on Okinawa, I did this constantly. It got me ready for the next workout. It got me through many years of competition. You won't like it, but it works. Don't cuss me though, when doing it. ---Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Good tips , thanks
Art Rabesa

Re: training injury's ---Amanda Elizabeth Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

My daughter Amanda will be posting some training tips pertaining to injuries. Amanda is the athletic trainer for the Bedford Massachusetts schools. She has a great deal of knowledge, and experience, when it comes to handling all sorts of injuries. The injuries we receive in our training can put a halt to our workouts. Getting the right information in dealing with these set backs, will get us back on the dojo floor faster. Watch for Amanda's post coming up. I'm sure it will benefit you if an injury suddenly occurs. If you are operating a school, this is something you really want to know. Stay tuned. -----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Amanda Rabesa

Re: training injuries

Post by Amanda Rabesa »

Happy Monday everybody!

My name is Amanda Rabesa and I am Art's youngest (and best!) daughter :-). I'm happy and honored to be a resource on this forum for any questions pertaining to the prevention, treatment, and/or rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Just to touch on what my dad said earlier about ice...there are very few contraindications for ice (although there are some, but not as many as heat!), so he is correct in saying that you should always have access to ice at your dojo. I'm a huge advocate of prevention, but that is what your training and preparation are for. Never skip those steps that prepare your body for whatever athletic endeavor you are about to encounter!

That being said, with the 'bumps and brusies' mentality on our brains, the one minor issue that has the potential to turn major if not treated nicely is a muscle contusion. These more severe bruises are more prevalent in larger muscle bodies, such as the quad muscles (top of the thigh). If you take a solid hit to the quad and feel that tight, sore bruise forming, you need to be icing and stretching, and even icing ON a stretch IMMEDIATELY AND OFTEN! This is the one type of bruise that you do not want to massage, because massage is a form of heating the body, and you do NOT want to heat this injury! You might think that your thigh feels tight, so a hot pack is a sound idea. But you'd be wrong. Sorry to be blunt, but there ya have it. Heat bad, ice good. This type of bruise will be extremely painful, will often limit your range of motion, and putting that muscle into a stretch will make you want to vomit. I don't care, you're all supposed to be pretty tough anyway. I always tell my students as I'm wrapping them with ice into a stretch and they're cursing my name, "You can hate me now, but you'll thank me later". So...you're welcome :-) Remember that old saying 'don't turn a molehill into a mountain'? Well this injury is an example of that saying. Treat this injury wrong, or don't treat it at all, and this tiny bruise could calcify in the middle of your muscle and turn to bone. Yep...you heard me right. It can turn into bone in the middle of your muscle and require surgical removal. It is called a myositis ossificans. Feel free to google it if you think I'm just a crazy chick. I am, but I'm still right.

And don't even get me started on concussions! I'm gonna need a lot more time, a solid amount of patience, and way more booze than I have in my office.....Sorry Dad :-)

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”