Calm Before The Storm

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Calm Before The Storm

Post by Art Rabesa »

Meaning a softness, or a relaxed state, pre explosion. There is no better way to practice this, then in sanchin. Always keep in mind,that the thrust is the only part of sanchin that fires. The arm is drawn back relaxed. I did not say wimpy, I said relaxed. The hand sits there relaxed. Then comes the fire.This holds true throughout all the kata. It is essential for any strike. This is where the speed comes from, Where there is speed ---there is power.This is not easy. Uechi ryu is not easy. This should be constantly stressed. I was just talking with Walter Mattson about this topic. I had to post it right away. When two pioneers discuss something, I think it just might be worth listening to. Relax - then explode. Check it on the web site. Gotta have it. ----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Calm Before The Storm

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOyZedk8-ww
An example of "Calm Before The Storm". There is no way I can hit like this, from such a close range, without relaxing the arm right up to impact. The fist and arm contract only at the moment of impact. If you have been viewing my video lessons, you'll detect this throughout. With open hand strikes, the arm remains loose throughout. Check out the back hand strike lesson on this. -----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXDJ9NbAaYg
Keeping the whole arm relaxed to get the whip like motion. Slight contraction on impact - Slight. The relaxed limb can be fired very fast with devastating results. Relaxed before the bang = "Calm Before The Storm" ------Happy Trails------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Hr0nHFqvI
Going over the posts this morning. I realized that this simple drill tells the story of "Calm Before The Storm". The relaxed limb right to an inch before impact. A drill that I use often. I have the plastic trash bag on the cement wall in my basement. You'll detect it on some of my lesson video's filmed in my basement. The focused hand doesn't have to be a fist. In this drill I like to hit with the open hand. The arm does contract on impact with an open hand. Actually, the body does torque right at impact. You can take this to the heavy bag and work it with a closed hand as well. I show this in other video lessons. Simple drill but very effective. Hitting hard in tight quarters is what you're seeking here. This drill will accomplish that. ------Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Look--it's this simple. If you're tight or contracted prior to the strike, you'll never hit very hard. It doesn't matter how strong you are. I've had many strong students that had to be taught how to maximize their natural strength. Sure it's good to be strong to begin with. However, that strength has to be honed. I remember how difficult it was to teach the softness to explosiveness method of hitting. Especially to those naturally strong people. This goes for females as well. I know how difficult it was for me to accomplish this. That's why I have so many drills that teach this method. To work close this soft to hard method is the only way. If you check all my video lessons you'll detect this constantly. Especially the Trash bag drill. To actually place your hand on the heavy bag and strike from there. When you see pushing here, it is telling you that the arm is tight all the way through the strike. The entire body comes from a relaxed state to the explosive result at impact. I stated earlier that the best place to start this soft to hard method, is in sanchin training. The arm stays relaxed for most of the thrust. The palm remains palm up for at least 90% of the way before snapping palm down. When the palm is snapped down, the body also focuses. The entire body explodes when the thrust come to its end. That's how to hit very hard my friends. Doing this constantly will give you remarkable striking ability. --------Happy Trails --------Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”