POWER SANCHIN

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

POWER SANCHIN

Post by Art Rabesa »

Here is a look at power sanchin kata. Power base is set and maintained throughout the kata. Happy Trails -----Art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VRcvr- ... QSdCUh3_gA
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: POWER SANCHIN

Post by Art Rabesa »

I believe in doing sanchin at a slower pace than most. The reason is to set the power base on each movement. To plant the foot and not simply take a step. Let the foot take root and feel the foundation before the thrust. To set the hand before the thrust and not actually draw it back. To pull the arm back upsets the muscle group that fires the thrust. Letting the hand simply set just to the side of the chest, allows the muscles to become focused. To pull the hand back stretches these muscles beyond their power position. Like the tight string on a powerful bow, or the string with too much elasticity. Which one will fire the arrow best? The thrust will fire from a strong foundation that sets itself prior to the thrust. The pulling of the rear leg and planting it firmly before the setting of the hand. Everything is a deliberate method to maintain a very strong sanchin. This method will allow you to realize where your explosive power comes from. Once you know where this power come from, you can take it into all the areas of your training. Maintaining this power base of sanchin is essential if you expect to hit strong. If you feel you are able to hit strong, how much stronger will you be when you have this power base? I've asked this many times when I travel around teaching. "How many feel you hit strong right now?" There usually are hands that go up. "Very good. Now how many of you would like to hit harder?" Every hand goes up. No matter how strong you are, you can become stronger with the knowledge of sanchin's power base. ------Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: POWER SANCHIN - EVERYTHING

Post by Art Rabesa »

Teaching Sanchin is not the most exciting thing in the class format. It is not the one thing that beginners look forward to. You can tell them how important it is, but it doesn't register. There's more exciting things that they want to do, like kicking and punching. To bring the importance of Sanchin to beginners, I would spend a great amount of time with them on Sanchin. Sort of like raising your own children. Spend time teaching them. Give them lots of attention. I'm with them and not my advanced students. I'll let my black belts take them through some basic kicks and punches, but not Sanchin. My senior students would always make a point of telling the beginners ,"sensei spends more time with you then us for a reason". I wanted these beginners to know how important sanchin was in their training. They quickly realize this fact because of the time I spend with them on sanchin. ALSO!!! Constantly making the connection of sanchin to what ever the advanced students were doing. No matter what is being worked on, sanchin is brought out to make the movement stronger. Be it kata , prearranged kumite, or fighting, sanchin is always in the correction. Everyone sees this constantly in the class. They get the picture eventually, resulting in strong students. Teaching sanchin is a never ending thing. I tend to be very stubborn when it comes to teaching sanchin. Everything we do in our training is geared to sanchin's power base. Once this is understood, things start falling into place. If you are teaching Uechi - Ryu, I really hope you feel the way I do about the importance of good sanchin training. If you do not - - Happy Trails .
Art Rabesa
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

I am with you Art on all said .
max ainley
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Thank you Max. I'm happy someone is listening. ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: POWER SANCHIN Instruction

Post by Art Rabesa »

Have a look at sanchin instruction. This is my viewpoint on how sanchin should be performed. It's not the "CORRECT WAY", just my way. My right thumb has been busted for most of my life. You'll see that it is not folded over in the thrust. Please do not think that it's a new way to place the thumb. I do the best I can to keep it out of the way. Hope this aids in sanchin understanding. -----Happy Trails-----Art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX2qR46eDqA
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: POWER SANCHIN-OPENING

Post by Art Rabesa »

You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. Have a look at the opening movement of sanchin. This sets the tone for a strong sanchin kata. Now carry it throughout the entire sanchin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO-E2TvCVNM Happy Trails ---Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31SJxwMIpok
SANCHIN STRIKING DRILL.
Here is a simple, but sure fire way to improve your sanchin strike. It also helps you to really understand where the power is located. It will take time to start exploding that strike, but it will happen. This is where you find the power to hit from the 10 & 2 hand position. Firing right from this position gets you on target in a snap. Put this striking drill in the class on a regular basis. You will see the results in the sanchin kata in short order.
------Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHMJygm ... QSdCUh3_gA --------------This is my viewpoint on the full middle area block (WAUKE) in Uechi Ryu. The three Wauke blocks done in sanchin. As I state here --"this is my viewpoint on this block. It doesn't make it the correct way, just my way". I want to get my blocking hand to the attack quickly. I believe this way does that. Dropping the hand prior to the actual block never made any sense to me. I never correct this block when I see it done with the dropping of the hand. Who's to say that method is wrong. Not me. I simply see it another way. --------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

http://rabesauechiryu.com/sanchin/

From my web site. SANCHIN
Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”