CONCENTRATED TEACHING

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

CONCENTRATED TEACHING

Post by Art Rabesa »

Lately, I've been dealing with a small number of students. I haven't taught a large class for quite some time. I get really involved with different aspects of Uechi Ryu, and a large class wouldn't work. If I want to spend lots of time on kata, or kumite, or power hitting or what ever, I can do it with a small group. I can take time to really get deep into the meaning of a particular move in a kata. I have spent 45 minutes on the first two movements of dan kumite. I have to be made aware of the time when I'm teaching. I loose track of it. My class ends when I bow and say " OK that's it". I can not do that at an organized school. There is a time set for each class. Everyone knows when the class ends and can plan their schedule accordingly. That is how all schools operate. That is the right way to run a dojo. That is the way I ran my school. I did have a post class twice a week however. The regular class would finish and those that had to get home did so. Those that remained, tightened their belts and away we went. It was mostly fighting, but there were plenty of times when we worked on other things. That's where I got into that part of teaching when time is not involved. I teach at different venues and I'm respectful of the class time. After all, it is not my school, and they are not my students. HOWEVER!!! When I have that small group that wants what I have to teach them, there is no clock. They know that and expect it. I do play nice when I'm invited to teach at an established school. The class begins on time and ends on time. Everything goes along very well. When I have my tiny group of students at a private back yard dojo, I can do my "concentrated teaching". That's what fits me. You know what? I bet I'm not the only one that feels this way. --------Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
maxwell ainley

Re: CONCENTRATED TEACHING

Post by maxwell ainley »

I suppose Art ,this could be were the student gets the most insight into what ever aspect you are introducing to them ,and I bet this is were more feedback can emerge .

I could be wrong but with the pace of life speeding up (sometimes very superficial learning emerges) concentrated teaching is a great antidote .
max ainley
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

I think so. At this time in my life, I want to make sure there are those that understand my way. I train and teach with a sole purpose. That purpose is to bring out the power of Uechi Ryu. However, it must be established first. I've been around a real long time, and I know where this explosiveness lies. I just want to have others know this as well. When I'm unable to physically demonstrate it anymore, I hope there are those that can. My "concentrated teaching" lets me reach deep into Uechi Ryu. Can't do that everywhere I teach. Old school. For all you golfers out there ---I still use a bulls eye putter. I just keep going. It is what it is. Thanks Max.
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Max isn't with us anymore. I will miss his comments and insight. The concentrated teaching that we were discussing is not a new concept. Many have been teaching this concept for many years. You can not operate a karate business with this method however. To have concentrated teaching, you can not have many students. When I was a public school teacher, I had some classes in the forties. Sometimes there were not enough desks for all the students. Getting education across was quite a challenge. Now that I'm not operating a karate business any longer, this lends itself to concentrated teaching. As stated in the post above, I have important elements of Uechi Ryu that I want to really express. This is really difficult to do if you're operating a karate school. Now --- I have invited eight of my past students, five being black belts, to continue their training. They'll get traditional Uechi Ryu, with a great deal of emphasis on the power within. We'll also train in the no nonsense strikes that work in a real self defense situation. This will be my own way of training and teaching. Traditional instruction with some real big teeth. I believe strongly in traditional Uechi Ryu. I also believe strongly in that other level. CONCENTRATED TEACHING --- 2 -3- hour classes. No clock. We are done when I think it's time to go home. A cold supper won't hurt you. Anyway, that's why the microwave was invented. -----Happy Trails------Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”