ACT / REACT

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

ACT / REACT

Post by Art Rabesa »

This is a tough topic. To act first and then sort it all out. To wait and see what happens. I believe you have to do what you have to do to keep yourself safe. I know that is not much of an answer, but it is what it is. This subject has been kicked around before. It is far from a new discussion. If we train to strike fast and hit hard, to react goes against the training. To sit back and wait for the attack, you know damn well is coming, goes against the grain. Then you have to take your ability into consideration. You know your strong and weak points. If you are weak countering, then that answers your question. If you are a top fighter with terrific ability, then you probably will be fine taking on the attack. A multiple attack situation is another ball game. If you wait here, you'll be plowed under. You've heard me say that "it's better to hit than be hit". Common sense right? It comes down to this guys. It is much easier to get off your strike followed by many others, then to try and back up and figure out what is happening. I always want to up the odds in my favor. That will happen when I read what is about to take place, and act. I do not want to place myself in a defensive mode right away. I want that would be attacker to be in a defensive mode, because I'm coming right at him. That will bring about some discussion and debate. That's okay. Purely my opinion here. I know what I'm good at, and backing up is not it. To act or react ? That is the question. Choose wisely. --------Happy Trails ---Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Re: ACT / REACT

Post by Van Canna »

This is one great post Art, one that I agree 100%_

_because if we know a very dangerous attack is coming _and we, after having 'sized up' the situation and the potential for survival_ decide pre-emptive attack is your best bet to make it out of there in one piece_then that's the way to go, if_ there is no 'preclusion' available and _if in our judgment the first strike won't buy us a pine box.

If our first strike gets us in legal hot water...we will be asked 'could you just have left? Run away?_ what other options were available to you other than hitting the guy?"

Rick Wilson makes all this clear in his thread and the book of Marc Mac-Young 'In the name of self defense' is a treasure cove on this subject which he covers in great detail in chapter ten...where he also warns about the fallacy of advertising to the world our martial arts skills and or the easy availability of a deadly weapon.

He writes this so that anyone in a 'self defense' situation...won't end up behind bars and stripped of all possessions and savings of a lifetime.
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

This is a topic that has not received many viewers. That occurs with certain posts. Some seem to get more interest than others. I still think this is an interesting, and important topic. A topic I have discussed with martial arts friends many times. Some have had to make the quick decision to act or react, as I have. Some did not act quick enough and found themselves in deep trouble. One of my associates took a hard shot to the head at his son's hockey game. It happened after the game in the lobby of the arena. Tempers were hot following the loss to my friends sons team. When standing up for his sons play, he was punched by the father of an opposing player. He told me he knew what was going to happen but didn't want to embarrass himself by striking first. He's a good martial artist and could have taken the act first approach, but didn't. The punch didn't put him down and the attacker was grabbed by other on lookers. Everything got cleared up right away and everyone went on their way. Nothing really dangerous here, but it might have been. I asked him if he could have avoided the punch. He said he was concentrating on his wife and younger son when he got hit. He didn't press charges but said he'll probably see that parent when the two teams meet again. This is sort of minor when it comes to defending yourself. Nothing really that dangerous occurring here. Lots of people around to halt further violence. It did make me wonder though. When tempers flair, the brain sometimes shuts down. If Ray was fixed on the angry parent, I do not think he would have been hit by that punch. Just have your attention move off the situation for a second, and you've opened the window. So we get back to the original question here right? To act or react? I see Ray's problem. To act would mean the out of control parent would be the one taking the punch. Now what? A lobby full of people would see the angry father hit the floor. You can make up your own ending to this one. Ray told me that he blames himself for not paying attention to what was happening. He also said that he learned a good lesson. Well ---there's always two ways to learn. The easy way and the hard way. You pick which one. ------Happy Trails----Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

This reminds me of the 'Junta incident'
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hockey-dad-found-guilty/
Medical experts for both sides said Costin died of a ruptured artery in his neck, which caused severe brain damage. But they differed sharply on how much force was needed to cause the fatal injury.

Dr. Stanton Kessler, the prosecution's witness, said Costin sustained "severe trauma" from repeated blows to his head and neck. Dr. Ira Kanfer, a defense witness, said a single blow could have caused the artery to rupture.
Now you take one look at Junta and it keeps on reinforcing my point that you just don't engage with someone that is a 'grizzly bear' regardless of how 'deadly' you may think your techniques are.

Apparently the 156 lbs Costin threw a sucker punch at Junta...an action that bought him a hole in the ground.
Dr. Ira Kanfer, a defense witness, said a single blow could have caused the artery to rupture

Think of this when you show off your 'Uechi conditioning' _and your ability 'to block'
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

You can make up your own ending to this one. Ray told me that he blames himself for not paying attention to what was happening. He also said that he learned a good lesson. Well ---there's always two ways to learn. The easy way and the hard way. You pick which one.

True enough. One lesson to seriously teach is the concept of the 'Hawk-Eye' to kick in the moment you sense something might just 'happen'_

In sports... is a complex computer system to visually track the trajectory of the ball and display a record of its statistically most likely path as a moving image.
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Working on this in class. Reading signals and body awareness. It is my believe that proper training will give you an excellent chance of recognizing intentions. If you zero in on the situation, you should not be hit. If I am looking at the trouble, I do not believe I'll be struck with anything. It's what I'm not paying attention to that might get me. How to teach this? Your position and alignment is paramount. Are there signals coming from various areas or just in front of you? If your reading the problem in front of you, it's a simple matter of concentrating on that. If the vibes are in many areas, than you must slide into a place where you can view it all. When you are good at reading, you will be able to either slip away or ready yourself. This will sound matter of fact but it's important. Any attack must make it's way toward you. That leaves you with the read. There is a distance that you have that will pull the trigger. Any closer and the trigger will be pulled on you. You never want to be in a situation where you're trying to figure out what is going on. I'd much rather know exactly what is taking place. I mean to ACT rather than REACT. I know all about the legal ramifications of this. All I'm trying to do is survive what is taking place. I'll deal with the law later. Been there - done that. We work this in class. Can not be as real as the real thing but it's practice. Working distance and having a hair trigger --and reading. I've asked this before ----Act / React ?? Choose. ---------Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”