DISTANCE & SPACE

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

DISTANCE & SPACE

Post by Art Rabesa »

The distance between you and the other guy. The space around you when confrontation ensues. Two very important measures of defending oneself. The absolute reality here is to know your abilities and comfort level. Knowing what you can do at different distances and when things become tight. In a multiple attack situation this can get really muddied up. Okay ---so how do we become better at these two aspects of ensuring our safety? Once again, it is a part of the training that is an ongoing thing. Not something that pops up in a workout every once in awhile. It's done all the time in your regular training. We do not announce it as distance and space training. It's just there. It begins right from day one. We are constantly stepping- sliding- punching- kicking - blocking - turning - etc. Nothing special right? All our traditional training is bringing us to the level of distance and space awareness. It just is. When we are able to do our prearranged kumite's faster and stronger, we become aware of distance. We become aware of where we want our partner to be when we strike or block. We begin feeling our comfort level with space in kata application, especially with multiple attackers. This level is at the more advanced stage of our training of course. Because now, we begin our free fighting training. Technique has been going on for awhile, now it is time to check it out. We find that some of the kicks we have been practicing do not seem to be doing much good. With an actual person to try and hit, it is very different. That's because that bag you've been kicking doesn't move or hit back. Now comes the distance part here. Where do you have to be in order to reach your dojo mate? Okay --that is something to work on. So you begin working on covering some distance to bring your kick onto the target. It seems to be working when you practice it on the bags. Damn! -- your partner keeps moving out of range as you deliver the kick. "Stand still damn it!" That's not happening. So you now have to work your techniques to become sharper. To cover that "DISTANCE" before your partner can detect it. This means that you now must work your comfort distance. That distance where you are able to get your kick off and make contact. It doesn't matter if it is blocked, as long as you are hitting with it. NOW!!! You can now close the gap pretty well. You now find yourself in the no kicking zone. Here is the "SPACE" part of training. I'm too close - or I'm not quite close enough to strike. I need a little more space, or there's too much space. Back to the heavy bag you go. You will soon discover that a slight shuffle or slide, will get you where you have to be. Closer or farther to the target. Now you take it into your sparring to check it out. At first it is still not second nature. You find yourself grabbing and pushing in space. That trigger is not defined yet. Work it - work it - over and over. Finally things are starting to iron themselves out. You become aware of your distance and space when fighting. The opponent gets too close or too far away, okay work it. You know where you can launch your attack and just how much you slide out of the path of the attack. All this is going to take a few years for sure. However, it is the training. Another workout. Over and over. We all know that fighting, and fighting techniques, can be useless in a real situation. It's the distancing and space awareness you get from your fighting training that's important. You become very much aware of where you are in relation to what's going . Having said all I've said here. It still doesn't mean that you're now capable of handling any attacking situation. It does mean that you have increased the odds in your favor however. That's the difference my friends. You have a better chance of getting out of that attack than someone that doesn't have your training. That's all it is. However, ----it might be enough. -------Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: DISTANCE & SPACE

Post by Art Rabesa »

In going over the post above, I am struck with the reality of detail. Too much that is. I apologize for rambling. I just type what's on my mind and do not realize how much is being written. I tend to do this a lot. That is why I try to make my video lessons quick. I do that most of the time. This topic of Distance and Space is actually very important in defending yourself. Being close enough to strike or being just out of range of an attack. Two pretty important elements. I think a video lesson is in order here. Yup---let me think about that. -------Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Ever watch a bull fighter? Like that. Think about it. -----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

When I do any pre-arranged drill I pay lots of attention to where I end up. I want to end up just outside the attacking shoulder. That is why your first off line movement has to have the right angle. You also have to move in one piece. That means your angle movement and block must be at the same time. Taking your hands into the movement will ensure a good counter strike. When you strike on the attacking side; it becomes very difficult for the attacker to get away from your counter strike. You can not attack and still defend that attacking side. Since it is a pre-arranged kumite; it's a good time to practice this. Distance and space are ultra important in defense. Remember: you do not ever want to allow the attacker to load up and come again. -----Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”