Explode The Basics

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Explode The Basics

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdgA6LS ... e=youtu.be
To finish it fast, you've got to explode the basics. No nonsense strikes that explode on impact. There are a few strikes that I consider basic. These strikes wouldn't be thought of this way by a lay person. To a martial artist, they are basic. Now here's the thing. Although basic, they still must hit very hard. If you are not delivering your strikes with explosive results, the bad guy is still there. To hit rapidly is also very important. However, each strike must land hard. I've posted this video lesson before. I wanted to bring it out again to express my point on exploding basics.The ability to explode your strikes is not basic. Only the strike itself. The power mode must be established to hit like this. That's what takes time. Nothing fancy or complicated here. No nonsense power striking that get the job done.Be able to hit like this and you'll be tough to deal with. ------Happy Trails-----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Explode The Basics

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj4ZTR1xW5Y&t=55s
IMPACT. Let me explain in more detail. Where's the explosion coming from? Hopefully, I answer that question here. Once established -----the power mode is in everything you do. EVERYTHING.--------Happy Trails-------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

What is basic? List the things in the training that YOU consider BASIC. Look carefully at the list. Why did you list certain aspects of your training? Is it because these things were taught at the white belt level? Or was it because these things are physically easier to do? Okay, lets take a look at Sanchin. I bet it's on your list. You're doing the stepping almost immediately. The thrust is shown to you on your second or third class. You think to yourself, "is this karate? This isn't so difficult".You would be correct. Sanchin is mechanically easy. A step and a thrust - simple - right? Must be BASIC because it is being taught to me right away. Of all the training, sanchin must be the most basic. I promise that I will not go into the importance of sanchin in the practice of Uechi Ryu. I'll end this post with this. Please think about it.

I entered Master Uechi's dojo for the morning class. The dojo was poorly lit. In the left front of the dojo was a figure stepping. Just stepping. As I came in further, I got a better look. It was Master Uechi stepping. When I got into my gi and entered the training area; Master Uechi was sitting on a wooden chair in the dimly lit corner. He motioned to me. I stood before him and bowed. From the chair, he raised his hand and said one word. "Sanchin". I felt the butterflies begin to flutter in me. I did sanchin and bowed. Master Uechi sat there and looked at me and smiled --and nodded. I bowed again and made ready for the class to begin. That was my first class at the Masters school. I was a sandan at that time. I came all the way from Massachusetts to work with Master Uechi. On my first class, he only wanted to see my sanchin. That happened at every class. WELL!! Did the light bulb go on? ---------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

I like to do sanchin and other kata with my students. I want them to fully understand the importance of what is taking place. I thrust hard and fast with my beginning or advanced students. When they come in I want them to see me at the mirror working the wauki. I've done it this way for decades. I saw Master Uechi doing it so it's what I do as well. A small thing maybe, but I think it gives a message. Hopefully, a good message. Nothing is so basic that you can not do it strong. -------Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Explode The Basics-In Self Defense

Post by Art Rabesa »

We've tackled the topic concerning fighting and defending yourself. Most of us agree that they are different. Meaning that there is no time, or need for fighting techniques in self defense. I guess there might be a little but not much.So we are back to "exploding the basics". No nonsense strikes that get the job done fast. This is something martial artists talk about often. This is one of my top priorities in my own training and in my teaching. Being able to hit fast and hard. Being able to hit hard in close. Strikes that can be delivered with the hands or feet fast. Facing straight ahead and exploding into the target. That is why I work leg thrusts. These go off right away and are on the target in a blink. They really do lots of damage. I've got a few video lessons on these. Strikes that you can get off in rapid succession for multiple attacks. Basic strong stance for a better firing station. Every class should contain time spent on this.I like to place it right at the end of class. The last impression. Carrying the hands at the 10 and 2 position. Working from there. Becoming comfortable here and working smoothly. "Exploding The Basics" is extremely needed in the training. Know how to hit fast and hard. Everything else in your traditional training will take care of itself. ------Happy Trails-----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Talked to some advanced people at the Summer fest last week, about what they felt was the thing to do in defending yourself. They all agreed that the fast powerful front kick (I refer to it as a thrust) followed by the strong punch (I prefer the open hand) was the best. I always knew that these two things would usually get the job done. Depends on who is delivering these strikes however. If you are able to fire that strong, fast front kick, followed by that strong punch, then okay. If your front kick and punch is weak you'll end up on your butt. Therefore, these two basic strikes must be something that you can do in a blink. The front kick is always triggered as well as the punch. Two simple, yet effective strikes that hit hard and do the job. I've discussed this in other posts but it's nice to get others to agree. If you are able to throw that low- fast- powerful front kick, you've got a stopper there. I do not consider this basic though. It should be what you practice constantly. When I was competing, I hated that fighter that came in with front kicks and punches. If I won the match I always remembered him and didn't want to meet him again. I've seen it all and these two strikes top my list. ------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Explode The Basics - Fast & Hard

Post by Art Rabesa »

What we should practice constantly in our training. What is very important to fully understand is this; fighting ability is not the question. I've gone over this before a few times. If we get right down to brass tacks here, and talk about taking care of our self, we have to do this. This, meaning delivering strikes fast and hard. Something that most of us can be able to do. I teach the low fast front thrust and punch or open hand. Not complicated, but does the job. This is not so easy that you can take it for granted though. The front thrust must be practiced with the hands in the proper position. This front thrust and open hand is not fool proof. It only becomes a damaging move when done properly. Done wrong, and you've just pissed him off.
I'm talking about delivering something that will hit hard and allow you to get the hell out of there. Taking it further would be another post. Front thrust and open hand isn't the only strikes practiced. You decide what you want to practice. However, make damn sure that whatever you practice is exploding on the target fast and hard.
You have to be able to deliver your impact with authority. Not doing this will get you in a heap of trouble.
This video lesson might be some help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9TMj0d0nn8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh6Z1fUV4nk
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”