Visualization

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Visualization

Post by Art Rabesa »

Found this aspect of the training decades ago. Visualize the attacker in the kata especially.Seeing that attack and blocking it through out the kata. This is why I preach the "one piece" movement. To explode into that block / foot and block ending at the same time. To hit with your entire body as you visualize the attacker. This will make your kata appear more realistic. Then it's not just moving air around in kata. You're actually seeing the attacker and exploding up into it. Difficult to actually teach visualization but it's something that should be injected in kata training. It'll bring your kata up to another level. See if you can do this. For kata practice; this is a must.------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Visualization

Post by Art Rabesa »

Here is a little tip for every level. Taking the process of visualization to aid in the understanding of your training. Meaning to relax and think about a particular aspect of the traditional training. Let's take kata for example. Students that are learning a new kata will find this method very helpful. Sit and relax. Close your eyes. Now begin the kata at a normal pace in your mind. Get all the way through it but remain still. After about a minute; begin again. Do this three times. Next time that a damn commercial comes on T.V. try this. No one around you need know what you are doing. You can do this with anything involved in the training. Especially helpful in the prearranged kumites. I did it constantly when I fought competitively. I would visualize my techniques before every match. I still do it when I'm relaxing watching T.V. I recommend visualization in your training. The secret instructor.
Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”